JVC is working on new cameras

Alt Shoo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Puzzled by his answer to when the new LS300 firmware will be available.

"It won't be released until March"

Erm....its already April mate.

I hope its not March 2018!

As a side note, I used the LS300 on its first job this week live streaming a press conference. Not thrilling obviously but it shows how versatile this thing is.

Just having the USB host port on it so you can plug in a cheap USB wireless or ethernet adapter and get out live direct off the camera or even just plug in a 4G modem stick and go live is an absolutely incredible feature. Considering how much a Teradek Vidiu would cost to add this function to another camera, thats well over a third of what I paid for the LS300.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Puzzled by his answer to when the new LS300 firmware will be available.

"It won't be released until March"

Erm....its already April mate.

I hope its not March 2018!

As a side note, I used the LS300 on its first job this week live streaming a press conference. Not thrilling obviously but it shows how versatile this thing is.

Just having the USB host port on it so you can plug in a cheap USB wireless or ethernet adapter and get out live direct off the camera or even just plug in a 4G modem stick and go live is an absolutely incredible feature. Considering how much a Teradek Vidiu would cost to add this function to another camera, thats well over a third of what I paid for the LS300.

Lol. 

I believe it is May 29th this year. This month!

• Super Members

Here it is doing that particular job by the way.

HD to the card and simultaneous live stream broadcast via the £10 Edimax dual band wifi adapter you can see sticking out near the back next to the peephole viewing device. Or the EVF as JVC laughingly refer to it. 

And my Nikon 70-200mm seeing some action as a very functional broadcast lens !

As this was in HD, using the Prime Zoom (or Zoom Zoom in this case) actually turns it into a 70-460mm f2.8 lens. Not too shabby really.

DSCF0573.jpg

@Emanuel

What about autofocus?

Oh, as seen some weeks ago, it worked perfectly with the Panasonic 35-100 F2.8 on it (stabilization worked quite well too)...Very reliable with this lens when keeping subject in the center of frame...No pulsing, no microadjustmenst, no pumping forth and back of background or subject...No such issues like in a currently released, hyped "enthusiast camera"... :astonished:

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;-)

Neither did I... :grin:

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

What about autofocus?

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;-)

I'll get back to you about that when I get my metabones Canon smart adapter!

It does actually have face detect AF too and according to the manual its got some scope to tune it properly with the hysteresis particularly.

But I think the world has seen enough face detect AF tests!

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 19.14.48.jpg

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Here it is doing that particular job by the way.

HD to the card and simultaneous live stream broadcast via the £10 Edimax dual band wifi adapter you can see sticking out near the back next to the peephole viewing device. Or the EVF as JVC laughingly refer to it. 

And my Nikon 70-200mm seeing some action as a very functional broadcast lens !

As this was in HD, using the Prime Zoom (or Zoom Zoom in this case) actually turns it into a 70-460mm f2.8 lens. Not too shabby really.

DSCF0573.jpg

Wow that thing is smaller than I thought! That is like a Sony VG900. Make a hell of a good Run n Gun Camera.

@BTM_Pix

I'll get back to you about that when I get my metabones Canon smart adapter!

My friend shooting with the LS300 told me, that the smart adapter doesn't work with some Canon lenses (AF), but he didn't try them all, for sure...He confirmed, that the LS300 AF works very well with another Panasonic lens, the 12-35 F2.8 OIS. These are the only Pana lenses he tested with AF. He uses Canon and other lenses (many primes) with adapters and manual focus, as the focus support is great on this camera. Haven't tested face detection...

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow that thing is smaller than I thought! That is like a Sony VG900. Make a hell of a good Run n Gun Camera.

And with the removable top handle it breaks down easily to fit into a small backpack.

They could've saved even more space by leaving off the EVF!

12 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@BTM_Pix

My friend shooting with the LS300 told me, that the smart adapter doesn't work with some Canon lenses (AF), but he didn't try them all, for sure...He confirmed, that the LS300 AF works very well with another Panasonic lens, the 12-35 F2.8 OIS. These are the only Pana lenses he tested with AF. He uses Canon and other lenses (many primes) with adapters and manual focus, as the focus support is great on this camera. Haven't tested face detection...

The ones I'm going to use it with are all featured on their should work list so fingers crossed!

The EF-S ones require some modification to make it fit into the mount but should be OK.

I picked up a great deal on a 10-18mm (£130) that is a much better lens than it should be expected to be even for its real price so that I could have a cheap small wide for the LS300 but also for my other MFT mount cameras.

I followed this guide to modifying it to make it work with the metabones so I'm looking forward to testing it when I get the adapter.

When I say that I 'followed' the guide what I mean is that I did all the same steps in removing the screws but then as I haven't got a Dremmel I reverted to using a hacksaw!!

..and if you don't need the top handle, there are microphones on the body for reference sound! Battery life is mostly excellent too.

Why to have one in dSLR form? The LS300 sells for less money in the US than the GH5 with the XLR thingy box on top and a good set of ND filters. There are a couple dozen of dSLR form cameras around to choose from.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

..and if you don't need the top handle, there are microphones on the body for reference sound! Battery life is mostly excellent too.

Why to have one in dSLR form? The LS300 sells for less money in the US than the GH5 with the XLR thingy box on top and a good set of ND filters. There are a couple dozen of dSLR form cameras around to choose from.

I guess because there's healthy market for. If some people hate the ergonomics, some other people love it. I am one of them : )

There are several ones, yes. Other brands, other models. This thread is about this model though. Not in this form factor, hence Glenn's (@mercer) comment I can only second it.

One doesn't take the place of something else :-)

@Emanuel Obviously there isn't a healthy market, as all the statistics we have is that photographic equipment sells less and less, Samsung is out, Pentax barely survives, Nikon is going down - really hard, Sony wins the market but not the profit etc etc

As it is, the JVC LS300 is a camera on its own category, there isn't an interchangeable lens camera offering 4K and all the rest for such little money, while JVC isn't known for their photo cameras (sic), while they are rather well known in ENG and digital video. It has a whole tier on their own, while creating a photo camera will put them against at least 7-8 other companies on a shrinking market.

I am not sure you are really familiar with the camera LS300, it is far from a bigger dSLR, is the new version of the classic JVC video cameras of the late 90's and early 00's, not a GH5 imposter and while I have mostly good things to say about it, not everything is ideal.

A modern video camera, not a classic cine camera, JVC advertises the camera as such as well.

What I would be more interested, is to see a bigger LS500 model, something to compete with the likes of C100 and FS5, here is a tier that we have only 2 brands competing. Panasonic saw this market opening and already teases their new camera.

The run and gun segment between 5-6000$/euros/money is a rather significant one, with a lot of people doing wedding videography, sports covering, live events covering, small corporate videos, cheap video clips, short films, internet content with such cameras, that have it all in convenient size and weight, usually with just a couple of lenses, and do most things right and reliable.

There is also a bigger margin of profit for the companies as squeezing a few dozens to 1 hundred of $ out of entry level dSLRs isn't the best approach, when you can squeeze hundreds to thousands out of top of the line video cameras.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@Emanuel Obviously there isn't a healthy market, as all the statistics we have is that photographic equipment sells less and less, Samsung is out, Pentax barely survives, Nikon is going down - really hard, Sony wins the market but not the profit etc etc

As it is, the JVC LS300 is a camera on its own category, there isn't an interchangeable lens camera offering 4K and all the rest for such little money, while JVC isn't known for their photo cameras (sic), while they are rather well known in ENG and digital video. It has a whole tier on their own, while creating a photo camera will put them against at least 7-8 other companies on a shrinking market.

I am not sure you are really familiar with the camera LS300, it is far from a bigger dSLR, is the new version of the classic JVC video cameras of the late 90's and early 00's, not a GH5 imposter and while I have mostly good things to say about it, not everything is ideal.

A modern video camera, not a classic cine camera, JVC advertises the camera as such as well.

What I would be more interested, is to see a bigger LS500 model, something to compete with the likes of C100 and FS5, here is a tier that we have only brands competing. Panasonic saw this market opening and already teases their new camera.

The run and gun between 5-6000$/euros/money is a rather significant one, with a lot of people doing wedding videography, sports covering, live events covering, small corporate videos, cheap video clips, short films, internet content with such cameras that have it all, and do most things right and reliable, and there is a bigger margin of profit for the companies also as squeezing a few dozens of $ out of entry level dSLRs isn't the best approach, when you can squeeze hundreds out of top of the line video cameras.

Good one! : )

Nothing against this camera segment, on the contrary.

There's room for new hybrid models, though. DSLRs sell less because of the consumers now from their smartphones. So, there's no one sole market per se.

Sony has won the parade for several reasons not related here in this discussion. I don't think Sony has worked the hybrid market as it should be. As for instance, Panasonic. One follows the other one. Hence to be funny or ridiculous enough that AF hype or PDAF vs CDAF controversy as we wish. Sony leads on sales, right? :X

The point is not to be unfamiliar with cameras I've become used to work with for the last quarter of a century. Out of curiosity, JVC GY-HD100 was a sort of open gate to the HD realm of my very own as poor man's HDCAM.

Anyways.

It is more to accept the media convergence has changed this industry. Not coming from there. Outside the industry itself.

Only who understands that will be able to have more chances to survive.

High-end is another ballpark, for sure.

On 5/3/2017 at 1:14 PM, Arikhan said:

@Emanuel

Oh, as seen some weeks ago, it worked perfectly with the Panasonic 35-100 F2.8 on it (stabilization worked quite well too)...Very reliable with this lens when keeping subject in the center of frame...No pulsing, no microadjustmenst, no pumping forth and back of background or subject...No such issues like in a currently released, hyped "enthusiast camera"... :astonished:

Wait, no 4K60p like that hyped 'enthusiast' camera? I'm outta here. ;)

• Super Members
59 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Wait, no 4K60p like that hyped 'enthusiast' camera? I'm outta here. ;)

Be sure to check back in at the end of this month when the new free firmware update enables it.

Well, the upgrade is free its just that you need another £900 to actually record it ;)