GH5 vs Ursa Mini 4.6K

AaronChicago

10 minutes ago, deezid said:

-5 on sharpening is always the way to go, unless you like the smartphone look.

Well if say you are doing a commercial for a Jewelry Store I would think taking video of Diamond Rings you might even want to turn it up. :grin: People just don't use video cameras all the time to get a Film look. It is, well it is a tool to make money with at times, or just for fun.

I don't think I would want to shoot my young children, when they are growing up, looking like a 50's movie with sharpness turned all the way down! I think your wife might not be too happy with that 10 years later!

And now since the GH5 does 3D LuTs I would think you can make it look like anything you want with practice.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, deezid said:

Was the GH5 video with sharpness at 0? Looks very harsh to me.

Edit:
Actually both samples look oversharpened.

Edit2:
GH5 still has the red clipping problem, looks very REC709ish even though it's LOG.

GH5 I had sharpening at -5. The UM46K has no internal sharpening but I applied a little bit to match the GH5.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I guess the biggest question is to me, maybe others, is which camera actually looked more like her live AaronChicago??  I can always change a camera to look different, but not always realistic looking, that is harder to do if that is what you want, say in a corporate interview, which I understand, I guess, this wasn't the case here...

I guess what I mean is I would Not use a BMPCC to interview the CEO of General Motors over the GH5. Who, by the way, is a Woman. You are allowed to turn sharpness down a bit on the GH5!  :grin:

Seems to me people are beating up on a camera that has only been out a month, and maybe they only had for a week or less. Is it a 2000 dollar Arri, well no, but It can shoot 4k where a Arri can't, and with the firmware updates coming I bet you could shoot a film, and Netflix would take it, according to their requirements. Can't do that even with a Arri Alexa. It Has to be 4k. I think it has great potential. Luke seems to have figured it out.

Well to be honest, the GH5 was closer to her actual look in real life, but the background was wacky compared to in real life. The Ursa handled all around color better but it does give her that slightly un-natural look (which I don't mind at all unless it's a beauty commercial).

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Well if say you are doing a commercial for a Jewelry Store I would think taking video of Diamond Rings you might even want to turn it up. :grin: People just don't use video cameras all the time to get a Film look. It is, well it is a tool to make money with at times, or just for fun.

I don't think I would want to shoot my young children, when they are growing up, looking like a 50's movie with sharpness turned all the way down! I think your wife might not be too happy with that 10 years later!

And now since the GH5 does 3D LuTs I would think you can make it look like anything you want with practice.

Same with insect macro.

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

GH5 I had sharpening at -5. The UM46K has no internal sharpening but I applied a little bit to match the GH5.

Well to be honest, the GH5 was closer to her actual look in real life, but the background was wacky compared to in real life. The Ursa handled all around color better but it does give her that slightly un-natural look (which I don't mind at all unless it's a beauty commercial).

Oh I am sure the overall was better on the Ursa. There IS a reason they are twice the price or more LoL. But I am surprised how sharp the GH5 still was at -5.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh I am sure the overall was better on the Ursa. There IS a reason they are twice the price or more LoL. But I am surprised how sharp the GH5 still was at -5.

Anyways, if Ursa is a way more cine camera, GH5 is a more complete device in every aspect. Really workhorse. Let small size and IBIS alone, go figure.

https://vimeo.com/213731550

23 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Well my test wasn't to prove that the UM46K is the superior camera. I think everyone knows it has a better image. I was just testing how myself and alot of people shoot with ProRes instead of Raw. I never use Raw. In fact I rarely shoot 4K on the Ursa. Mostly 2K ProRes 4444.

Does the ursa now have the option to shoot 2K 4444 with full sensor? I thought that was only cropped in.

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I guess what I mean is I would Not use a BMPCC to interview the CEO of General Motors over the GH5. Who, by the way, is a Woman. You are allowed to turn sharpness down a bit on the GH5!  :grin:

I've heard this sentiment from others, but I find the pocket does very well at looking "real" if you want it to. Grading from scratch and avoiding any of the commonly used LUTS will get you there. In fact, I'd say it excels with nature and corporate type stuff.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yh, it looked way worse and more processed than my GH4 does at -5.

Download it @1080p, as for instance (- 3 in this case): https://vimeo.com/215581256

Play it on Pot Player -> Ctrl/B (for Blur) and see the difference (for example, shot on minute 1:17... we might even mix it with Ctrl/R for tuning sharpness as you wish and voilà, as usual, couple/combo is the secret of a good picture outcome ; ) BTW, as post expert as you are, you well know it ;-)

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Does the ursa now have the option to shoot 2K 4444 with full sensor? I thought that was only cropped in.

It does. 2K DCI, and 2K 16:9 full sensor.

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Honestly I am surprised by the GH5 here. Looks almost as good as the Ursa. Can you post ungraded pictures?

Yeah I forgot to post that here, but the raw camera files:

GH5 (converted to ProRes):  https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3bgfvsxzflhe7c/GH5_10bit.mov?dl=0

UM46K: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ojbccq0eliskkm/A002_02252030_C023.mov?dl=0

37 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

GH5 (converted to ProRes):  https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3bgfvsxzflhe7c/GH5_10bit.mov?dl=0

Thanks for these. The UM46k looks so much cleaner and more natural, damn... Sure the GH5 was on sharpening at -5? The hair looks terrible and artificial to me. Or maybe the ProRes-conversion added sharpening? 

Still thinking about buying the GH5 but these examples make me worried (doing film and music videos)

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

Those two are like night and day! That would be some tough footage for a colorist to edit on the GH5. That is like a blank canvas. :astonished: That ends up like a guessing game.

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

Aaron does the Ursa support OIS lenses??

59 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Yeah it does.

Kholi is creating a LUT for V Log. Here is the pre release version on this clip:

JcrR9gC.jpg

Wow, now we are talking! That is very nice. That has some damn good potential! Sweet. I knew there Had to be a lot more to this upgrade, than has been shown at times.

That is getting up there with the big boys!

44 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Yeah it does.

Kholi is creating a LUT for V Log. Here is the pre release version on this clip:

JcrR9gC.jpg

I like your grade better. Her color here might be more consistent, but she's losing life in her face and also she's flattening out with the background. Maybe a balance between the two? I'm more concerned with the lamp on the left.

21 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

I like your grade better. Her color here might be more consistent, but she's losing life in her face and also she's flattening out with the background. Maybe a balance between the two? I'm more concerned with the lamp on the left.

you talking about the original GH5 grade, or his Ursa 4.6k grade? Sure I like the Usra 4.6 grade overall, but this is a gradable grade if that makes sense. The first one was a total crap shoot on the outcome if you were not there to visualize it I think.

And the lamp, that has probably more to do with a lack of DR than anything m4/3 sensors have sad to say. That is still their one fatal flaw. You can overcome DoF, lack of low light with a fast lens to start with, and adding a Speed Booster to that, DR, well not so much.