Sony A9 - No SLOG 2/3????

marketingvp

Sony must be crazy!

I've been anxiously waiting to trade my loved A7s for a new A9. Despite not needing the high speed of the new A9, there seem to be enough improvements to warrant putting down $4500 for an upgrade. The problem is that for some crazy reason Sony has decided to remove the picture profiles from the A9 - no SLOG 2, no SLOG 3! This is pure insanity. How can I justify an upgrade that's actually a downgrade? They are charging a premium price and then purposely handicapping the camera!! Maybe the GH5 is looking more attractive. I'm already heavily invested in Sony glass and I'd hate to make the move back, but it seems like Sony is leaving us little choice. :(

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You can buy a used A7rII and a used A7sII for less than a new A9, if you don't need the speed that will combine to be a superior setup for stills and video. Grey market deals pop up as well putting both just over $2000 each. Both also have Slog and the rest of the PP's, though the sII is the only one with Slog3.

Cheers

They are idiots for not including it, but like others said, I would buy a used A7rII or A7s II and keep the a7s rather than go for A9. Or wait for the next A7s, which will surely have faster readout.

5 hours ago, cantsin said:

The Sony A7 doesn't have Slog or advanced video functions either. Better wait for the likely future releases of an A9R and A9s. 

There will be no such thing. I will gladly eat my hat if they release an A9R/S (luckily for me, I don't have a hat). It is a high-end photography camera. It's like complaing a supercar has bad fuel consumption and hardly any storage space. There's some things it is... and some things it isn't.

Keep your faith in the A7R/S-line-up I'd say. Saves you unnecessary spendage as well.

7 or 9 it doesn't really matter, most probably they will just continue with one number and the body will be shared among all of these with the A9 (flash sync port makes no sense for action camera). So along will come at least the button layout, menu system, batter EVF and dual memory slot. 

The real problem is if Sony decides to carry on with this stupid decision to remove picture profiles from all  non-video oriented cameras. The least they could do is offer it as an app for $100 but I doubt that. 

If you ask Sony, they would likely say that the A9 isn't designed for you and the A7sii is the current camera they would want you to upgrade to.

I am not sure there will ever be an A9s or if there is it will sell in much smaller numbers and therefore be even more expensive.

There MIGHT be an A9R (probably will be even though maybe not until the dust settles from the A9).

I would think there will be an A7siii before there is an A9R though when that arrives, who knows.

• 1 month later...

I was an A7RII user who upgraded a couple of weeks ago to the A9 (I used the 5d3 before the A7R2).  I shoot mostly music videos, live concerts, and a bi-weekly documentary style web series.  I know some really love the s-log and swear by it, but I feel I can get just as good of a look by adjusting the in-camera profiles (turn contrast/sat/sharpness down a few notches & adjust white balance) and then color correcting in post.  Video editing is my main passion in filmmaking and my strongest area of ability, so I don't mind the extra steps in post to achieve the best picture possible.

I use all Canon glass with the Metabones Canon EF/EF-S Lens to Sony E Mount T Smart Adapter (Fifth Generation). 

The A9 thus far has been more than I expected- in a good way.  It's FAST when taking photos (sometimes I'm asked to take some during the live show, and the speed of this camera really REALLY helps me get the shot I'm expected to get.)  The video quality vs the A7RII is much MUCH better.  Less artifacts at higher ISO's and much more clarity/flexibility in post.

Not having S-LOG was never a major concern with me in all honesty, as I said above, I achieve the style & look I want mostly in post with different LUTs.  Some will say that's not the correct way to do it for the best picture quality possible, but I'll just agree to disagree with them and leave it at that. 

My opinion on the A9 after 2 weeks of in-depth shooting in indoor/outdoor shows with a lot of changing variables in light is it's everything I needed and wanted. 

I'm new to Sony and still wouldn't call myself a major Sony guy (it's hard to break away from Canon), but I would buy this camera 10x over given my options at the time of purchase.  If you're a guy who is worried about the lack of picture profiles, rent it for a week or 2, tweak the settings to your liking, then see what you can do in post.  

Hope this helps someone on the fence about the A9.  Obviously if you're on a strict budget, the A7S or A7RII would probably fit your needs better, but if you want to bump your picture quality up and get 120fps @ 100mbps I would seriously consider this camera.

I agree with ccdc88. I tested the A9 and the image is really, really good even without Slog/Cine Profiles. Obviously, if your workflow requires them the A9 isn't the camera for you. However, if you want a camera that is built exceptionally well, doubles as an amazing sports camera and shoots some of the cleanest 4k you'll see -- the A9 is an option. I considered it, but bought an A7SII for now since I like to shoot Cine4 lately and when I have a project we're shooting with the FS7 in Log, it's nice that the A7SII has that as well.

That said, I'd love to have an A9 as well. I might buy one anyhow. (To use primarily as a camera)

On 5/1/2017 at 10:49 AM, Cinegain said:

There will be no such thing. I will gladly eat my hat if they release an A9R/S (luckily for me, I don't have a hat). It is a high-end photography camera. It's like complaing a supercar has bad fuel consumption and hardly any storage space. There's some things it is... and some things it isn't.

Keep your faith in the A7R/S-line-up I'd say. Saves you unnecessary spendage as well.

This is a poor analogy.  A sports car might go 200 MPH but you can't just give it Prius type fuel economy with a tune (firmware upgrade).  Sony could have added this if they wanted to; they chose not to.

• 3 months later...