New BMPCC is Not Happening any time soon!!!

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, but I'm unsure why they believe it needs to be 4K? 2.5k in 24 as 60p would be a fine upgrade for the Pocket and would quench most people's needs for the next couple of years. 

Yeah I would have been happy with that, basically a BMCC as a Pocket, whats wrong with that? Duh! Christ the data with 4k raw would have been crazy as hell anyways?? Damn battery would last 10 minutes LoL. I would not have even begun to want 4k Raw? Who in the hell did they ask that even wanted that shit??

Sure as hell didn't come on here and ask anyone about Our opinions, that's for sure. Jesus even a Arri is not 4k! A Arri, BM Ursa uses about 60% of the body as a heat sink.  And a Red has a fan on the top of them that will blow your wig off if you lean over one! Forget about having a on-board mic on one of them.

And they are going to run 4k raw in a body you can stick in your pocket? No the hell wonder they can't find a sensor for it LoL.

26 minutes ago, mercer said:

Lol. They could have no plans to ever make a Pocket II and they're just using that as an excuse. 

I guess I'll have to settle for 3K Raw on my 5D3. 

Yeah by the time you rig a BMPCC and buy a SB, 5 batteries for it, you can Buy a 5D mkIII, and heck you can even take photographs with it! They, in reality, are not worth it anymore. I am really not even re considering buying another one of them again, probably ever.

Possibly a bit of a harsh verdict? The Pocket is most definitely still "worth it" if one is looking for high quality 1080 output. I also think that it is an ideal learning tool for those new to grading etc. But I agree - it is a shame that BM have not released a 2.5k 60p version.

12 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Possibly a bit of a harsh verdict? The Pocket is most definitely still "worth it" if one is looking for high quality 1080 output. I also think that it is an ideal learning tool for those new to grading etc. But I agree - it is a shame that BM have not released a 2.5k 60p version.

Yeah they are still worth it if you just can find one for around 650 or less, and just buy a few batteries for it and leave it at that. But if you go whole hog and rig the heck out of one, I think you are throwing money into a rat hole. Buy a GH4 used, money better spent I think overall.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, but I'm unsure why they believe it needs to be 4K? 2.5k in 24 as 60p would be a fine upgrade for the Pocket and would quench most people's needs for the next couple of years. 

Even the Micro Cinema Camera has 60p in 1080p form, and that was unveiled, what, 2 years ago.  I agree with the others, impossible for a 4K Pocket to out in the woodwork, but one can dream ::wink, wink::

I still love the pocket. I was lying on the cold sand on Friday evening taking (what turned out to be awesome) DNG RAW 30fps footage of the sea. Got it home and was dumbstruck yet again on what I was seeing. Shooting at 30fps and decent optical flow re-timing the frames are rock solid even taken down to 10% of original speed. It is a quality (I suspect historically significant) camera. The only change I would look for would be support for the higher data rates of the type II cards. It feels like a very loved child at this point and nothing on the market is more compelling IMHO

2 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

I just want them to reduce the price of this damn BMPCC. Still the same price as when it came out, plus used market is still quite expensive in comparison to the retail price :s

Yes and you have to take into account that X amount of people Only paid 500 bucks for one for awhile.

4 hours ago, Shirozina said:

The image quality doesn't even come close. GH5 with the promised 10bit 4.2.2 300mbs firmware update -  maybe? 

Oh I still doubt it is going to look as good as the Raw on a BMPCC. But they are not very practical without a rig. And by the time you rig one out really nice you are not too far form a GH5 price. I just don't know if they are worth the hassle anymore. And that Look is only needed for people like us, on here, compared to thousands of people that want the digital look, buying them for the 4k.. 

And with the GH5 heck you don't even need a tripod for a lot of stuff. And a really good monopod might be a great thing to invest in for a lot of the rest, the ones with the feet or foot on them...

Its like a Sony F3, I have always wanted one, but you need to buy the one with the true 444 upgrade in them, and they are over 2000 bucks. Are they still worth it? That is GH5, Canon C100 territory, damn near a original Mini Ursa price! I am not sure on that move either. A F3 is old just like my Af100, does that make them useless no, but now I think maybe better stuff is out there for nearly the same money. Hard decisions when you don't have a lot of cash. And it is not just the body you are buying, it is the System you are getting into. That is where it gets damn expensive. :astonished:  But hopefully you can use parts of it on another camera.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/7/2017 at 3:36 AM, webrunner5 said:

Yes and you have to take into account that X amount of people Only paid 500 bucks for one for awhile.

I keep on kinda hoping the Micro would get a $500 sale too!

Would be super tempted to get that! (although I shouldn't.... now I'm fully focused on being a soundie, rather than cameraman)

As a 2nd matching camera, with the flexibility of 60fps and having full size HDMI, would be nice! I'd run the BMMCC as the A cam, with the BMPCC as B cam.

On 5/7/2017 at 3:36 AM, webrunner5 said:

A F3 is old just like my Af100

There is a gulf of a gap between the F3 and AF100 however.

On 5/6/2017 at 8:36 AM, webrunner5 said:

A F3 is old just like my Af100, does that make them useless no, but now I think maybe better stuff is out there for nearly the same money. Hard decisions when you don't have a lot of cash. And it is not just the body you are buying, it is the System you are getting into. That is where it gets damn expensive. :astonished:  But hopefully you can use parts of it on another camera.

For strictly image, no. The F3 produces one of the best 1080p images, similar to the Arri and Red. The c100 is great in the right lighting but the F3 can produce some seriously cinematic stuff. 

I love the 5D3 raw image, but the pocket/micro cinema is actually a useable tool. 5D3 raw is very unreliable. 

All camera have their downfalls. I personally prefer a larger camera that takes one battery and has a mic built in. The weight is good for camera movements anyway. 

I might have said it elsewhere on this board, but the only I reason I got rid of the bmpcc was the need to rig it with a cage, external battery, external monitor, etc. I wish they would just stick the sensor into a camcorder-style body that can take fat Sony NPF batteries on the back, and has a flip-out monitor, but a MFT mount instead of a built-in zoom lens. I don't even need 4k or anything, just the same 1080p image in raw and ProRes, but in a better body. Even if it costs 2x more than the pocket, it would be worth it to me.