Panasonic Varicam LT versus 7 cameras, Maybe more LoL.

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Varicam is nice but it's no Arri. The LT easily beats all of the non cine cameras, but I'm unsure, for my tastes, if it beat any of the cine cameras, except for the FS7... her skin looked horrific. The problem with the Varicam was the blown out highs... but a lot of the cameras have that problem in that test. The real surprises for me is how well the Pocket faired against the Varicam and how good the Ursa Mini 4.6K looked at 2 stops under. With that being said, the Varicam looked excellent. 

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

The Varicam is nice but it's no Arri. The LT easily beats all of the non cine cameras, but I'm unsure, for my tastes, if it beat any of the cine cameras, except for the FS7... her skin looked horrific. The problem with the Varicam was the blown out highs... but a lot of the cameras have that problem in that test. The real surprises for me is how well the Pocket faired against the Varicam and how good the Ursa Mini 4.6K looked at 2 stops under. With that being said, the Varicam looked excellent. 

What continues to amaze me and you, and I bet a lot of people on here is, why the hell are we not using more BM products!! Jesus even 3 years after it was introduced, with not many, How do I say this, the actual output has not changed hardly at all, just a lot of the features in the menu, how the hell did BM get the damn BMPCC, BMCC so f ing right right out of the box?? It is amazing to me to this day how a nobody company has a better, cheap ass camera, than a lot of the big boys high end stuff! It's crazy, and I think I am crazy for not buying a MFT BMCC. I Need to do it.

You made sort of along the same good choice on buying the Canon 5D mkIII. I guess Raw is the magic bullet, the thing we are striving for. Not really 8k, but we know what I am taking about. It is the creamy, film, butter smooth look that has captivated millions of people, us, down the road. It is not Star Wars 20 in 8k, it is the 40's, 50's, 60's look that make the hair on your arms stand up, that a piss ass cheap BMPCC can give us. Damn, all I can say is Damn, you are right about that video when I look at it again. Keen eye. Glenn you are right, great stuff. BM knows Video, they do.

I think Canon does also, they are just to big of a tightass to give it up to start with for a reasonable price to the masses. What a bunch of crap that is when you think about it.

39 minutes ago, mercer said:

I actually really like the Varicam. Their Raw output is gorgeous. I wouldn't turn one down. 

When you can make a movie that looks like this one, with a $700.00 or less, used BMPCC, and hell you could buy one for 500 bucks new for a bit, I don't think I am in the market for a Varicam LoL. Oh, and by the way, what a hell of a good story line this is. Envy.

But, and it is a BIG but, sounds obscene, this is no Ordinary film, it was shot by, well see the link for details... it was not just Bob or Carlos, or Hans down the street!  https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/the-1-shooting-a-short-with-the-bmc-pocket-and-much-coffee/

I have not seen many videos shot with a Varicam that do a lot for me. But maybe I have not seen the best of the videos. That might be the case?

I saw that short a while ago. I think it's supposed to be the first short film ever shot with the BMPCC. But yeah, that camera amazes me all the time. It just has that mojo we are all after. Are you thinking of picking one up? There's a barely used one on eBay for $680. If I wasn't in love with my 5D3, I would still be interested in the Pocket. 

23 minutes ago, mercer said:

I saw that short a while ago. I think it's supposed to be the first short film ever shot with the BMPCC. But yeah, that camera amazes me all the time. It just has that mojo we are all after. Are you thinking of picking one up? There's a barely used one on eBay for $680. If I wasn't in love with my 5D3, I would still be interested in the Pocket. 

Well I am still exploring my AF100A. But I really doubt it can "outdo" the BM which is kind of crazy when you think about it. But no,not this month at least. But I am going out to Phoenix, Arizona at the last part of July again, possibly for a month or more, not sure I want to carry the AF100A on a plane and the tripod I need to use it with, etc..

Probably take my Panny G7 instead, but a BMPCC Might be a really, really nice addition in my carry on bag LoL!! I Might be looking for a cheap one someplace?? Kind of looking maybe more for a MFT BMCC though, form factor though, wow not so hot.. Wolf seems to like it a Lot. I have not seen much of him lately, Jon and him have done disappeared??