Time to dump Adobe. First impressions of Resolve 14 and EditReady 2.0

Andrew Reid

On 4/28/2017 at 2:08 AM, andrgl said:

If only there were tools good enough to rival Photoshop and After Effects, Adobe still has a stranglehold on 2D compositing.

Ok phoroshop his still a hole in BMDs armor ( bur who knows what the future will bring on tha front). As for an after effects replacement, have a look at BMDs Fusion, it us node vased as is Resoles grading, so kerp that in mind.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/28/2017 at 11:09 AM, dbp said:

I got another reason to dump Adobe.

There's a bug in the newest version where it'll delete all of your media files on the drive with the media cache folder. Happened to me on one drive. Assumed the drive was going bad, so I brought a new one. Moved the media cache folder to a different drive, and it happened on that one! Folder structure stays intact but files get deleted. Lots 2+ TB of data in both cases.

Luckily I was able to get it all back with recovery software, but the time it takes to transfer/format etc....  I mean, good god. 

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2306406

Wow that is bad. An nle that decides to delete filse it has not created it self, what is Adobe doing? Sorry if this adds little/nothing to the discusion, but I felt the quesrion had to be askex

On 4/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, Dude_ger said:

Tried the new 14 today.. Got no Audio on the tracks. Anybody else? It s on the clip, but no signal...

4k Playback lacks more than on Premiere (same system). What i still miss (maybe someone knows better), is fullscreen videoplayback on a second monitor. If this won t be able without buying a BM Card, Davinci will be completely useless. Now that the studio version is that cheap, not only full hardware equipped people will buy it and it would not make any sense to me not adding 2nd monitor fullscreen.

A lot has happened since April, give beta8  8 a try, lots ov audio bugs h@ve been fixed, and support for lpcm audio has been added, so that allso solves a few audio issues (like no audio on source clips)

On 4/30/2017 at 3:13 PM, ReinisK said:

I was thinking about moving to Resolve, some time ago, but it didn't have some of the features I needed for editing. Premiere is unstable sometimes, but Resolve just didn't offer the features. I'm intereseted if it does now. I'd really appreciate if someone could give ma an answer about these things:

1. Does Resolve have decent audio features like compressor, limiter, expander?

2. Does Resolve have saveable presets of effects, which can be dropped on clips anytime?

3. Customizable keyboard shortcuts?

4. Customizable window layout?

5. Maybe keyboard shortcuts for applying effects or effect presets? (Premiere doesn't have this afaik, would be a very welcome feature for me)

1: yes

2: not shore

3: yes, even s predifined set for premier pro users ( wher features overlap) 

4: to some extent

5: not shore

Didn't read every posting in this thread, so maybe this was already covered. I mean the part about EditReady. There is a much more powerful tool that does a lot more. It's called Kyno. A beta version for Windows (free) is announced. Didn't look too spectacular to me initially, but now I've bought it, and I think it's fantastic. Plays all* media (you can filter by video, audio and stills), dives trough folder structures (called drilldown-mode), allows to import, trim (> subclip), batch-rename, tag (Premiere: mark), transcode, wrap and copy directly from card. Allows to send data bases to FCP (shift cmd f) and Premiere (shift cmd p). 

*well, no raw video for now, they're working on it.

yeah the latest beta 8 is really shining for me. It outperforms Premiere for editing, coloring and rendering. In the past I used to edit still some projects in Premiere, out of ease and speed. But now Im hooked on resolve. (Still need to test the stabilizer though, probably still isn't as good as warp stabilizer). Are there any good stabilizer plugins for resolve that work great? I want to give reelsteady a try, but it is only for AE.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 0:05 PM, Axel said:

Didn't read every posting in this thread, so maybe this was already covered. I mean the part about EditReady. There is a much more powerful tool that does a lot more. It's called Kyno. A beta version for Windows (free) is announced. Didn't look too spectacular to me initially, but now I've bought it, and I think it's fantastic. Plays all* media (you can filter by video, audio and stills), dives trough folder structures (called drilldown-mode), allows to import, trim (> subclip), batch-rename, tag (Premiere: mark), transcode, wrap and copy directly from card. Allows to send data bases to FCP (shift cmd f) and Premiere (shift cmd p). 

*well, no raw video for now, they're working on it.

GREAT SUGGESTION!  I just installed Kyno.  I know I've become a little slow, but I always struggle with creating clips from my footage in Premiere, or anywhere else, that I can use later.  I always want to do a pre-trim right after I shoot so I remember what I want.  With Kyno, I figured it out in 5 minutes and it has all the options I can think of.  I look at the video, mark my in and out (it scrubs through quickly), then cut the clip (no transcoding) to the same file name + "something that describes what this freakin' clip is" text.  Very exciting piece of software!  For what it's worth, it's as if they read my mind about all the scut-work that makes it so I do far fewer YouTube videos than I'd like.  Again, thanks Axel!!!

• 8 months later...

Worth bumping this thread considering the Resolve 15 release. When you try and leave Adobe they will try and charge you for an extra half year or offer you "free three months" to stay on. Just keep on reminding them about your history with them and insistence that you can't afford it and eventually they move onto the next step in the prepared script and waive the fee. Be firm but polite. Currently Premiere just crashes on brand new machines so it just does not cut it for dependable editing. 

We moved the shop to Resolve 14 (with networked workstations) this year. Definitely looking forward to 15 exiting beta as there's some really exciting stuff in there (We're going to wait for at least one service release before moving up, though. It took at least 2 before 14 was solid.)