Time to dump Adobe. First impressions of Resolve 14 and EditReady 2.0

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, sandro said:

What's wrong with the rendering?

Does it support proxy editing like premiere pro?

The rendering - that is, the exporting the video - is very slow (on this type of old machine).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, sandro said:

Does it support proxy editing like premiere pro?

It has proxy generation and workflow support... it is called optimize media. In V14 they have finally add the possibility to link back to the optimize media in case you move stuff around. There is also something called proxy mode that allow you to output on the screen at 1/2 or 1/4 resolution for preview where you don't need to regenerate the file, it is good in case you have an edit friendly codec but your machine is too slow to preview it at full resolution especially while grading.

Been working with DR14 for a bit and I don't get their snap feature while editing. I want it on cause I want clips to snap on to each other's ends but while scrubbing it skips like 5seconds at either start or end of clip. Don't know if what I'm writing makes sense but the problem is so annoying! I also wish it was easier to rearrange all bins and stuff under edit mode to make it suit the style I'm used to with my custom Premiere layout. 

10bit GH5 files are rendering quite fast in DR 14 Studio. I'm getting about 40fps 4K to 1080P w/ a couple of adjustment nodes on a Ryzen 1700x w/ a Saphire RX480 8GB OC Nitro.

** Wasn't expecting DR to support the GH5 10bit files already.

** I'm finally seeing just how great the low bit-rate 10-bit codec is. It's quite an impressive capture space, in my opinion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The snapping feature is annoying in DR. There is a quick key to turn it on and off as well as a Magnet icon on the center of the tool bar. (You can have the Snap featured turned off, slide an audio/video clip and press the quick-key while dragging the file and it will lock. Then, after the lock, it will default back to none-snapping.)

** FYI: You can remap a lot of the commands in the Keyboard Layout in the Project Settings. Snapping is one of the short-cut keys I use most.

** I too simply can't fine-tune an edit when audio/video skips a minimum of 3 frames.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DR 14 is already out for Linux.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Resolve, but I have to say that anyone who is going to use it for editing on any type of a complicated project with a lot of footage is out of their mind.

As an NLE, it is so buggy, slow and sorely lacking some of the most basic of features, that it is a total non-starter.

And these feature limitations still exist in the 14 betas. I have high hopes for Resolve becoming a magic box, but it's certainly not there yet.

Wow I seem like the "weirdo" here because I enjoy using Magix Vegas Pro 14 and not one person brought up how robust and easy this program is. DR is too complicated for me, Adobe's subscription service is garbage and FCP looks good , but I'm strictly a PC user. 

On 26.5.2017 at 8:10 PM, Alt Shoo said:

Wow I seem like the "weirdo" here because I enjoy using Magix Vegas Pro 14 and not one person brought up how robust and easy this program is. DR is too complicated for me, Adobe's subscription service is garbage and FCP looks good , but I'm strictly a PC user. 

You are not alone man, me too with Vegas :-)

On 28/4/2017 at 11:09 AM, dbp said:

I got another reason to dump Adobe.

There's a bug in the newest version where it'll delete all of your media files on the drive with the media cache folder. Happened to me on one drive. Assumed the drive was going bad, so I brought a new one. Moved the media cache folder to a different drive, and it happened on that one! Folder structure stays intact but files get deleted. Lots 2+ TB of data in both cases.

Luckily I was able to get it all back with recovery software, but the time it takes to transfer/format etc....  I mean, good god. 

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2306406

please can you tell us which version of premier it is exactly? thx

On 5/28/2017 at 2:05 PM, liork said:

You are not alone man, me too with Vegas :-)

When I try to use the other programs I just can't get into it and it bothers me because I can just about jump into any DAW, but for the NLE's, Vegas just fits. 

Trying to use the latest beta build of 14 and it seems very unstable to me, just trying simple operations it randomly crashes.  No other programs I use falls over.  I have tried uninstalling and re-installing as I really want to use this latest version.  Hopefully they can release a more stable version soon.

• 1 month later...

Latest beta is out. 

I hadn't tested previous betas, but compared to 12.5 this beta performs much better. 

Creating proxies takes 50% less time, but you can even work with native XAVC-S 4k Sony files!  

I haven't experienced any crashes yet. 

Here is a update of the previous beta : http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/07/17/editing-start-finish-davinci-resolve-14-worth-upgrade/

My issue with Resolve has always been performance. I love the editing workflow, both for video and for audio, but It still can't handle the H.264 files any of the slightly lower end Panasonic cameras like my G85 spits out. Editing chokes and it crashes randomly. Rendering times are absurd.

I think this is because it doesn't to do GPU acceleration properly, at least on my R9 290. Compare this to Sony Vegas which is as smooth as butter and renders files in around 1/4 of the time.

I know it's meant for "pro's" and not designed for "consumer workflows" and "you should spend two days transcoding all your files before editing them" and all sorts of other elitist garbage.