Time to dump Adobe. First impressions of Resolve 14 and EditReady 2.0

Andrew Reid

On 4/28/2017 at 9:08 AM, Andrew Reid said:

They say you should use the Pro version for 4K editing.

Unfortunately my dongle isn't on me at the moment so can't test where I am!

Did they increase the difference between the free and the studio version? I thought the main difference was DCI 4K support.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

FREE / https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/readme/05b4704e07c14cba997299f5d2df2e10

for editing, color correction and professional audio post production for SD, HD and Ultra HD

---

The free DaVinci Resolve 14 includes all of the same high quality processing as DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio and can handle unlimited resolution media files. However it does limit project mastering and output to Ultra HD resolutions or lower. DaVinci Resolve 14 only supports a single processing GPU on Windows and Linux and 2 GPUs on the latest Mac Pro.

If you need features such as support for multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction, HDR tools, Lens distortion correction, de-interlacing, Resolve FX Lens Flare, Lens Blur and Film Grain, 3D stereoscopic tools, remote rendering, an external database server and collaboration tools that let multiple users work on the same project at the same time, please upgrade to DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio.

We hope you do decide to upgrade as your facility grows and you do more advanced work!

STUDIO - 299,- / https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/readme/bc7f695cfa3541379901835974c406bd

Includes everything found in the free version plus multi user collaboration features that let editors, colorists, and sound engineers all work together on the same project at the same time, plus 3D tools, dozens of Resolve FX and more.

10 hours ago, Dude_ger said:

Tried the new 14 today.. Got no Audio on the tracks. Anybody else? It s on the clip, but no signal...

4k Playback lacks more than on Premiere (same system). What i still miss (maybe someone knows better), is fullscreen videoplayback on a second monitor. If this won t be able without buying a BM Card, Davinci will be completely useless. Now that the studio version is that cheap, not only full hardware equipped people will buy it and it would not make any sense to me not adding 2nd monitor fullscreen.

8 hours ago, Gareth Watkins said:

I had the same.. found on the BM forum that you have to manually go into the audio properties on your PC control panel and put it to 48000 Hz (in my case) ... this worked for me..
cheers

Gareth

Yeah this solved it for me as well.

12 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Nothing can beat FCPX for me. 

So easy and fast to do what I want. Time remapping is the best of any software and I use time remapping all the time.

Who cares about Native lut support when you just need Color Finale the best grading tool ever with way better integration of LUT management than Premiere native shit. 

I am not saying Resolve is shit. I used FCPX then switched to Premiere for the After effects integration. Switched back recently to FCPX and it's just that much better. 

Tried the last year Resolve for a project. It did not work for me 

This. Those of you who are still ragging on FCPX based on the release from 2+ years ago owe it to yourself to try it again. There have been many, many improvements in a series of major releases since the brouhaha of the first release way back when. If you can get over fealty to past models of nonlinear editing tools, you may find that it's much more efficient and speedy than other nonlinear editors (especially when it comes to Pro Res codecs). And with the addition of the Color Finale plug-in, you have an amazing color-grading and LUT tool that makes up for FCPX's biggest weakness: that awful color board.

I haven't tried the latest version of Resolve, but I will give it a go on my next personal project. But I have used Premiere and agree with Andrew. It's just a kludgy P.O.S.

2 hours ago, xrayspecs said:

And with the addition of the Color Finale plug-in, you have an amazing color-grading and LUT tool that makes up for FCPX's biggest weakness: that awful color board.

Actually it's just another representation of the color range, like an earth map compared to a globe. Once you get accustomed to it, it's even more intuitive to use. I always complained about the 0-100% acuity of the sliders. In the end, if fast CC is asked for, this can be an advantage. I am defending it only to this extend. Apart from the quick wysiwyg-approach, it feels too much like iMovie. They should make the tool more precise. You probably heard that the Dashwood effects (360°/VR-tools - a hint for 10.4? - , but some other FxFactory products too) recently became free, because Dashwood was hired by Apple. I installed them and tried White Balance. Too simple. Already existed within the color board (it just doesn't tell you how much in Kelvin you had shifted the balance), like the majority of third party CC-tools. 

The color board also has the advantage of being as well an effect as a clip property. If you open the color board window with cmd 6, you can jump from clip to clip in your sequence, and the Color effect is automatically applied to every clip you changed. I see Color Finale as something in between the color board and Resolve. More precise than the first, but not as powerful as the latter.

7 hours ago, jacoblewis said:

I read that Resolve works natively with h.265 files. Is it only in the Studio version that it works? Tried importing NX1 files to no avail. I'd love to see how it works with NX1 files before I dropped money on it.

Yes only the studio version, playback is very smooth on my system, in line with H264.

Ok I tried to google 60fps GH5 Resolve and got nothing.  I can open my 8bit 4K files fine.  I can't open my 8bit 60fps stuff in Resolve 14.

Admittedly I don't know how to use resolve but I got my other clips into the timeline at least, but the GH5 60fps says "media offline".  Is this just unavailable in the free Resolve 14 beta?  The audio from the files play, but no video...

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:37 AM, jcs said:

I think it's important to learn multiple tools. There will be times when your primary tool has issues (bugs, or performance issues etc.) which another tool won't have, so you have options to move forward and aren't stuck. Resolve 14 plays the 1DX II 4K 8-bit 420 files OK, however still struggles with C300 II 4K 10-bit 422 files (both OpenCL and CUDA on OSX; will try on Win10Pro at some point). Hopefully they'll get performance sorted by the time beta is complete.

I'll purchase the $300 version, however I'd prefer to have online activation vs. a USB dongle as I switch frequently between OSX and Windows (and multiple machines + laptops).

On a Win10 gaming notebook i7 7700HQ, GTX 1070 8 GB Vram, 16 GB ram, in Resolve v14b I can do real time edit and quite a bit of grading nodes in real-time on 4k timeline with 1Dx II 4k 4:2:2  MJPEG files at 60fps.

I did test h264 files with the new v14b, especially Phantom 4 Pro files.... 4k UHD up to 30 fps perf is quite good, 4k DCI or 4k > 30 fps is not usable without reverting to optimize media. Anyway a big improvements over v12 where h264 4k editing was just impossible with optimize media.

3 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Stabiliser yes but not noise reduction 

Correct and btw the new Stabilizer seems to finally work well. I did a few test with scenes that I could not really stabilize with the old v12.5 stabilizer and the new one seems to do the job. It is also more intuitive how it works.

The beta is still quite a bit buggy but a lot of key improvements...as a longtime Resolve user I'm pretty excited about this release.

12 hours ago, Axel said:

Actually it's just another representation of the color range, like an earth map compared to a globe. Once you get accustomed to it, it's even more intuitive to use. I always complained about the 0-100% acuity of the sliders. In the end, if fast CC is asked for, this can be an advantage. I am defending it only to this extend. Apart from the quick wysiwyg-approach, it feels too much like iMovie. They should make the tool more precise. You probably heard that the Dashwood effects (360°/VR-tools - a hint for 10.4? - , but some other FxFactory products too) recently became free, because Dashwood was hired by Apple. I installed them and tried White Balance. Too simple. Already existed within the color board (it just doesn't tell you how much in Kelvin you had shifted the balance), like the majority of third party CC-tools. 

The color board also has the advantage of being as well an effect as a clip property. If you open the color board window with cmd 6, you can jump from clip to clip in your sequence, and the Color effect is automatically applied to every clip you changed. I see Color Finale as something in between the color board and Resolve. More precise than the first, but not as powerful as the latter.

What most people forget is that the native FCPX colour tools are for colour correction. They're not grading tools and have never claimed to be - the effect is even called "color corrector". I do correction with the native tools first (I especially love the 3 saturation sliders for darks, mids and lights 0 Colour Finale can't even do that). Then I use Color Finale (largely just for the curves and often the awesome vector tool to grade and Film Convert last for final touches.

I do think Apple should add curves to the native tools though. It would save me a lot of time in the long run as sometimes I only use Color Finale for curves

@Andrew Reid

Hello Andrew, not sure you're right when you write :"It’s just a shame Windows users aren’t so lucky. The transcoding apps suck on Microsoft’s platform and ProRes is an Apple codec".

I made editing on my Windows 10 laptop with Davinci Resolve 12.5 and i work with Prores video files without the need of Quicktime 7 Pro (obsolete now) .

I transcode mov H264 files from Canon EOS with ClipToolz convert, a robust well fitted video trancoder to get HD Ready smallest files in Prores. And i own other transcoder apps with ProRes output file option.

There is a free trial version od ClipToolz 4.0, and they have a bunch of high quality freewares !

It could be nice to correct your news for your followers working with Windows.

CLIPTOOLZ 4.0  (PROFESSIONNAL VIDEO CONVERTER FOR WINDOWS)

http://hdcinematics.com/why.html

http://hdcinematics.com/

FREEWARES from same company

http://hdcinematics.com/freeTools.htmlV4-MediaBrowser.PNG

Best regards. 

V4-MainUI.PNG

Tested on the Win10Pro 6950X 64GB GTX 1080 machine: easily ran real-time with both C300 II and 1DX II 4K footage, along with transitions and some titles. Added 4 OpenFX effects to a C300 II 4K clip: Light Rays, Glow, Gaussian Blur, and Prism Blur (in addition to ARRI 3D LUT and basic curves/grading)- still ran easily in real-time (as one would expect with efficiently implemented GPU acceleration; CPU was at 23%). Rendering speed: 1080p render from mixed 1080 4K timeline 1m:40s long finished in 38s, about 2.6x real-time, which is pretty good. Similar test on OSX with 12-Core and GTX 980ti in PP CC was about 2x real-time for 1080p output.

Would be nice to know how to replicate Lumetri effects in Resolve (really fast and easy to quickly grade footage using Lumetri).

Audio isn't quite done:

• As noted by someone else in this thread, I had to set my default/system audio device sample rate to 48KHz otherwise no audio output (including strangely the rendered output).
  • Where are all the audio effects hidden? Poked around briefly and only found EQ and Dynamics (which doesn't appear to actually work (correctly) yet).
  • Also no way to select audio device (checking/unchecking Use System Audio didn't do anything).

Tested again on the 2010 MacPro 12-Core (3GHz) GTX 980ti in bootcamp/Win10Pro. Can handle C300 II 4K 10-bit up to about 3 tracks at once (2 50% opacity tracks on top of a base track). Only 2 tracks for real-time, so transitions are good. At 3 tracks, it's not real-time and audio starts to sound shabby. Thus it's clear in this case that the OSX version is slower in software/drivers, since it runs faster in Windows on the same hardware.

Overall excellent progress!

I was thinking about moving to Resolve, some time ago, but it didn't have some of the features I needed for editing. Premiere is unstable sometimes, but Resolve just didn't offer the features. I'm intereseted if it does now. I'd really appreciate if someone could give ma an answer about these things:

1. Does Resolve have decent audio features like compressor, limiter, expander?

2. Does Resolve have saveable presets of effects, which can be dropped on clips anytime?

3. Customizable keyboard shortcuts?

4. Customizable window layout?

5. Maybe keyboard shortcuts for applying effects or effect presets? (Premiere doesn't have this afaik, would be a very welcome feature for me)

On 28/04/2017 at 4:18 PM, Geoff CB said:

Under the key menu after applying a LUT to a node: 

key.jpeg

As they say where I'm from, you legend!

14 hours ago, jcs said:

Audio isn't quite done:

• As noted by someone else in this thread, I had to set my default/system audio device sample rate to 48KHz otherwise no audio output (including strangely the rendered output).
  • Where are all the audio effects hidden? Poked around briefly and only found EQ and Dynamics (which doesn't appear to actually work (correctly) yet).
  • Also no way to select audio device (checking/unchecking Use System Audio didn't do anything).

True, audio isn't quite working. The panner, for example, does nothing.

My praise is based on it being a beta, if they don't fix all this for release, it would hastily be withdrawn :D

On 4/30/2017 at 1:14 AM, Novim said:

Amazing. I've put DaVinci 14 Public beta on my old Macbook Air 3,1 (late 2010, the first version of the small Air 11") just for fun, and it works pretty smoothly (apart from the rendering, of course).

What's wrong with the rendering?

Does it support proxy editing like premiere pro?

Guys, for anyone who is now using resolve 14, are your LUTS working?....all mines become black....so frustrating :(

If you are working in a project do not upgrade to 14 version, many issues yet, the solution for the 3D LUTS is to move the curves all the way to the left....