New EOSHD front-page template, faster loading and full width articles

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I have upgraded the EOSHD front-end with a new theme

It should be much snappier than the old one in terms of load times

It now has 2 columns and a wider responsive layout (check it out - http://www.eoshd.com)

Blog posts will be full width with HUGE images and video content (example - http://www.eoshd.com/2016/11/now-available-eoshd-pro-color-for-sony-cameras-including-a7s-ii-a7r-ii-and-a6300/)

Hope you like it and let me know your feedback / bug reports below...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

Honestly the name always has been horrible, when I first saw the site and some videos on Vimeo I thought this was the result of some frühpensionierter German.

You guys don't seem to understand branding.

You can't just throw something away you've spent the last 6 years building and people trust the name.

I happen to like "EOSHD" as being a camera and video associated acronym you immediately know what the website is about and everybody has heard of "EOS" in relation to cameras.

If you want to read your own meaning into it you can, it can stand for Electro Optical Super High Definition.

If I'd taken advice from a couple of people it would be LumixHD by now... Meh

Cinema4K would be too generic and AndrewReid dot com is taken by someone else so I am sticking to my guns!!

Well, when I was unfamiliar with the site I always imagined it would be a bunch of Canon dweebs here discussing their cameras. I figured it wasn't worth looking into, as I had nothing to do with that myself (it's the fact you made the GH2 Patch Vault that I joined up here and saw what else it was about, otherwise, like DVX- and REDuser, I'd still be thinking it's for certain dweebs into a certain corner of the market, rather than it in general).

But it shows that commiting to a brand or resolution/definition standard can be tricky. That's why I suggested 'reidvision' and not 'lumix4k'. I mean, when you're in a relationship with a girl, it might be fun to get a tattoo of her name... but maybe not such a good idea in the long run... 'cause... who knows? :grimace:

The Philip Bloom and Zacuto shootouts and the great efforts by mr. Personal-View Vitaliy as well as Nick Driftwood are probably the reason I started my journey into interchangeable lens cameras with the Panasonic GH2. Canon/EOS never managed to reel me in. Sony could never either... I was close to jumping the A6300, but was glad I didn't when I found out it wasn't as great as it seemed on paper after all... gave both Nikon (D5300) and Olympus (E-M1) a fair shot, but how good they are for stills doesn't make up for the lack in the video department. Not sure what the future will hold... so no use fanboying over EOS or Lumix. I guess EOSHD is short and kinda catchy. I'll give you that. The 5DmkII, guys like Vincent LaForet, they did kinda start the whole HDSLR-thingie rolling. Maybe it was Panasonic and Sony who really gave a snowballing spin to it... but I guess EOS is a nice reminiscent of the goo' ol' days.

• Administrators

EOSHD is not an odd case, nearly all the major sites are named after cameras:

DVXUser - Panasonic DVX100

Cinema5D - Canon 5D Mark II

REDUser - RED

2 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Well, when I was unfamiliar with the site I always imagined it would be a bunch of Canon dweebs here discussing their cameras. I figured it wasn't worth looking into, as I had nothing to do with that myself

This isn't really how it works with most people, as they come from a Google search and click the article because it's relevant to them - i.e. Sony or Panasonic posts. So it is immediately apparent both the blog and forum cover non-Canon gear.

Times change and Canon might bounce back and start dominating. So changing to align with current Sony/Panasonic trends may be a waste of time as brands have to live forever.

Reidvision wouldn't be so bad but it says nothing about 'cameras'

I like short and snappy!

Thanks for the feedback though I do see where you're coming from

Most important thing for me is the site works well, looks clean, no shitty advertising, thriving community forum, great content, strong personal opinions, not in bed with PR industry.

Dave Dugdale seemed to have transitioned his site's name pretty easily. And you can redirect when someone goes to the old site at least for a while, since that's the habit. But I definitely have no problem with eoshd. 

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Dave Dugdale seemed to have transitioned his site's name pretty easily. And you can redirect when someone goes to the old site at least for a while, since that's the habit. But I definitely have no problem with eoshd. 

He shouldn't have changed it. BarelyPolitical on youtube did a silly name change too. The name isn't about what you cover, it's you. Language does this all the time. Boys Brigade decided to change name in NZ but the only way they could go is up at that point, which they have done. 

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can't just throw something away you've spent the last 6 years building and people trust the name.

This is really the essence...you're the one that's put the work into this for all this time, and to change it now would be crazy...you have the recognition in EOSHD and in marketing nothing is that literal...I would never change it if it was my site

I do like single-column layout articles. But, Andrew, I think you should consider putting a max-width value for the article text. If one is reading an article in full-width of their screen resolution as I do then the article layout gets way too wide that it breaks the layout typographically as it increases word per line quite a bit and slows down the reader and makes it difficult to go to the next line.

You can wrap featured image in a separate div so that it still covers the whole size of the screen while wrapping the main text in a separate div, centre it and put a max-width value to it.