Anamorphic + ND filter

woopax

Andy, Jacobs are out of buisness. There are some floating round ebay but mostly uk. shame

These Jacobs NDs are made buy Cokin so superb quality they make most sizes from 46mm to 72mm

I have tested them side by side ,

Ive been using these for the past year on jobs they are great

they are slimmer than most nds so ideal for use with anamorphic taking lenses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jacobs-ND4-Super-slim-Neutral-Density-filter-72mm-for-Sigma-Leica-Zeiss-NEW-PRO-/110964643698?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item19d6021772

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

unfortunately the only guy left selling the jacobs nd filters that will fit m42n lenses, does not ship to the US.
I will have to find something else. Variable LCW looks good, but sounds like it affects the image sharpness

and contrast which is not good. For narrative filmmaking it's probably best to get a static set and just swap them

out.

Any other affordable, well performing brands aside from the Jacobs?

Be prepared to replace these when you upgrade cameras.  All of the higher-end cinema cameras, including those from BM, don't have the strong IR cut built into their sensors it would appear, making normal ND filters without strong IR components problematic to use, causing sometimes extreme color shifts that become more difficult to correct for the stronger you go in ND.

Canon DSLR seems to stay neutral with the use of normal, photographic ND and I'm only assuming here that the GH line would as well.  But BM, Alexa, RED, etc., these need IR sensitive ND filters and no single manufacturer seems to employ a formula that works uniformly across each camera.  Formatt is closest for current BMCC, Alexa and RED but there's still room for improvement.  The new BM cameras will need to be tested as well, since they're using sensors from an entirely different supplier.

unfortunately the only guy left selling the jacobs nd filters that will fit m42n lenses, does not ship to the US.
I will have to find something else. Variable LCW looks good, but sounds like it affects the image sharpness

and contrast which is not good. For narrative filmmaking it's probably best to get a static set and just swap them

out.

what sizes are you looking for ?

out.

I've had extensive experience with the LCWs (on a gh2, in fact). If you're someone who runs programs to assess the sharpness of a lens and anything less than perfect is a heinous crime in your world of milk and honey (Which you wouldn't because this is an anamorphic forum and anamorphics piss every one of said people off). Then yes, LCWs are bad.

For normal people the tarnishing effects on contrast/sharpness/ect they have are negligible.