Anamorphic + ND filter

woopax

I'm sure a lot of anamorphic shooters are asking themselves those questions as well:

1. working with a ND filter - should i place the filter in front of the anamorphic, or is it just as good to place it    
    between the taking and the anamorphic lens? (can be more practical most of the time)

2.  would you recommend to use a taking lens which is not multi coated, in order to keep stronger flares? 

Would be happy to hear your thoughts,

thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, the taking lens will affect the flaring of your anamorphic.  Best to avoid MC lenses if you want flares.  Old Takumar lenses produce the most dramatic flares of all the brands I've tested... but unfortunately, they are not really sturdy enough to support an anamorphic.

Yes, the taking lens will affect the flaring of your anamorphic.  Best to avoid MC lenses if you want flares.  Old Takumar lenses produce the most dramatic flares of all the brands I've tested... but unfortunately, they are not really sturdy enough to support an anamorphic.

Get a rail setup with a lens support and you'll be fine.

I have used a variable ND filter for some outdoor anamorphic shots. I put the filter between the anamorphic lens and the taking lens. It works out well because I can adjust the filter to get proper exposure, then when I mount the anamorphic to the filter ring of the ND filter, I can fine tune the alignment of the anamorphic. Great for static shots..probably not so great if you're on the move.

Get a rail setup with a lens support and you'll be fine.

I have used a variable ND filter for some outdoor anamorphic shots. I put the filter between the anamorphic lens and the taking lens. It works out well because I can adjust the filter to get proper exposure, then when I mount the anamorphic to the filter ring of the ND filter, I can fine tune the alignment of the anamorphic. Great for static shots..probably not so great if you're on the move.

alright, that's an interesting point with the variable ND filter. I actually dont like when things can move around in the system...but maybe with a fixed ND it can be a way to go. Thanks for you comment! 

Stick it on the front of the anamorphic. The distance between the front glass of your receiving lens and the back of the anamorphic needs to be as short as possible. Sticking an ND in there would mean the anamorphic and taking lens are farther apart.

Putting any filter in front of the scope will affect flare performance.

If the front of the scope is concave, it helps to produce flares from off camera light sources.

So if you put a flat glass filter in front of that than the off camera light will be reflected and reduce the flare intensity or stop them completely. 

Stick it on the front of the anamorphic. The distance between the front glass of your receiving lens and the back of the anamorphic needs to be as short as possible. Sticking an ND in there would mean the anamorphic and taking lens are farther apart.

I see what you're saying, and in addition it really makes more sense using a rotating filter in the front.  The only problem is, since in most of the anamorphic adapters there is no filter thread, you really need rails and a matte box and i'm not so excited about it yet. keeping things small is sometimes more efficient, especially when using a dslr light steadycam or such things. 

Putting any filter in front of the scope will affect flare performance.

If the front of the scope is concave, it helps to produce flares from off camera light sources.

So if you put a flat glass filter in front of that than the off camera light will be reflected and reduce the flare intensity or stop them completely. 

Sound also very true. so would say -  if you want flares - ND in the middle. if you don't care about flares (also if for individual shots) ND in the front. I think i'll mainly go for a middle ND than but maybe better a fixed one, which i can replace. a bit of a hassle to change filters but probably no choice to avoid rotating system.   

"Old Takumar lenses produce the most dramatic flares of all the brands I've tested... but unfortunately, they are not really sturdy enough to support an anamorphic."

I use Takumar 80mm 1.8, 105mm 2.5 and 135mm 2.5 with a Sankor 16D on 5D MarkII and never had any problem with this configuration.

So I wonder why you said that they're not sturdy enough ?

Takumar are old lenses in metal and look pretty sturdy in my opinion...

Can anyone reccomend a reasonable priced ND fixed or variable for use on m42 lenses, the ones

i have looked at seemed super pricey....

L.C.W vari-nd

Dandy stuff, adds a bit of contrast, but all will unless you buy one for a million-billion bucks

These Jacobs NDs are made buy Cokin so superb quality they make most sizes from 46mm to 72mm

I have tested them side by side ,

Ive been using these for the past year on jobs they are great

they are slimmer than most nds so ideal for use with anamorphic taking lenses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jacobs-ND4-Super-slim-Neutral-Density-filter-72mm-for-Sigma-Leica-Zeiss-NEW-PRO-/110964643698?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item19d6021772