Best camera for filmmaking

Lucian

no!! who told you that!!

you can put more lenses on a GH2 than you can on a Canon EOS .

All the old Canon FD lenses , Minolta Bayonet , Fujinon B4 ENG , Konica Bayonet , Fujica X Bayonet , C mount , pentax 110 , Pentacon Bayonet...etc etc etc

all these formats work on GH2 but NOT Canon EOS

GH2 on my Tecnoir Cinema Rig - this works!!

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/239-tecnoir-cinema-rig-panasonic-gh2/

I have the 60D, I just ordered a GH2 and a friend has a 5Dii.  I will have to do a comparison video with the helios + iscorama and post it here as soon I can.  I'm just as curious as to which camera produces the best image as you are!

already did that shoot out 18 months ago GH2 wins hands down!

5DII , 550d (SAME APSC sensor as 60d ) and Gh2

you will be very suprised your Canon looks like soft video next to a hacked GH2

the differance is staggering ! GH2 renders incredable detail

we have 3 they are that good!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

lready did that shoot out 18 months ago GH2 wins hands down!

That's what I hear.  Can't wait to see for myself!

no!! who told you that!!

you can put more lenses on a GH2 than you can on a Canon EOS .

All the old Canon FD lenses , Minolta Bayonet , Fujinon B4 ENG , Konica Bayonet , Fujica X Bayonet , C mount , pentax 110 , Pentacon Bayonet...etc etc etc

all these formats work on GH2 but NOT Canon EOS

GH2 on my Tecnoir Cinema Rig - this works!!

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/239-tecnoir-cinema-rig-panasonic-gh2/

already did that shoot out 18 months ago GH2 wins hands down!

I use Canon FD on my EF... and i've seen adaptors for several of the others to Canon EF-mount - and rebuild Canon houses, removed mirrors etc. Haven't tried them all - but many of them would work.

FD flange focal distace is less (42.00 mm) than the EF flange focal distance (44.00 mm)

so your adaptor will need a lens in it to refocus the image onto your EF camera sensor

(I have one of these and I dont like it and it cost a fortune for a real Canon one)

So I dont use FD lenses on my EF cameras for that reason it is introducing another lens into the equation degrading the image

But yes you can if you really want to use them on your EF but most people dont bother for this reason

but you cannot use any of the following on a Canon EF mount as they all have a smaller flange focal distance

Minolta Bayonet , Fujinon B4 ENG , Konica Bayonet , Fujica X Bayonet , C mount , pentax 110 , Praktica /Pentacon Bayonet.

the GH2 does offer a greater range of glass you can use due to its 19.25 mm flange focal distance

the point being for Luke is that all these lenses are alot cheaper BECAUSE they dont fit Canon EF so you can buy them very cheap off ebay

and have quite a big lens collection cheaply - you can't buy cheap Canon EF lenses they hold their price on ebay

"but you cannot use any of the following on a Canon EF mount as they all have a smaller flange focal distance

Minolta Bayonet , Fujinon B4 ENG , Konica Bayonet , Fujica X Bayonet , C mount , pentax 110 , Pentacon Bayonet."

Thats not completly right. You can use several of them, some with simple adapters without glass - but you risk losing "infinity" - but it if you do not need "infinity" - its not a problem. Major problem for Iscorama users of course, but i'm also shooting other things than anamorphic, and there I seldom need to have "infinity". If you're shooting interviews, macro, pack shots, close focus scenes whatever - you wouldn't need it - and if you wan't a cheaper f/1.2 lens or a special look - it works.

"So I dont use FD lenses on my EF cameras for that reason it is introducing another lens into the equation degrading the image

But yes you can if you really want to use them on your EF but most people dont bother for this reason"

It wouldn't "degrade" images more than introducing lenses/glass in form of teleconverters, an item most professional photographers have in their camera backs, or the Metabones Speedbooster, which is receiving great reviews.

C-mount to Canon EF (No Glass inside, Limited to close focus and macro)

FD to EF mount (Glass for infinity, but it can be removed to be used for close focus and macro)

Konica AR to Canon EF (Glass for infinity, but it can be removed to be used for close focus and macro)

Minolta MD/MC/SR to Canon EF (Glass for infinity, but it can be removed to be used for close focus and macro)

Pentacon to Canon EF (No glass inside)

Pentax K to Canon EF (No glass inside - won't work on 1Ds and fullframes unless you remove or cut mirror)

Pentax 110 to Canon EF (Homemade adapter, but it shows that it could be done)

X Fujinon to Canon EF (Homemade adapter, but it shows that it could be done)

I twice cut a Pentax K lens's aperture tab to use it on EOS, so it's doable. I've not got them any more though. Didn't affect resale value, cos everyone uses them on Canons!

Back to original post, I'd say what you've got now is great if you learn to get the best from it. none on your list are a huge upgrade or that much closer to the old school look you want.

I shot a short 2 years ago before magic lantern and mosaic filter for 550D, and it's still getting festival plays, another one in three weeks in Germany in fact! But the 60D really isn't an upgrade.

Try and borrow these cameras (GH2 5D) from someone, or meetup with a fellow forum user before dropping cash maybe? you may love or hate them... a lot of this is personal taste with image quality. stats alone don't speak...

I dont like using converters with glass in them it all

it all get very messey with some having infinity focus and some not - so I just dont bother -  its not necessary on gh2

Thats why I have all these great set of lenses for my gh2 and a different set for my Canon

You are missing the point ....Im trying to say to Luke you can buy great lenses for for the GH2 .....there is a whole range of them from different makers- all good brands -  that MOST people dont use on their Canon EF cameras

therefore they are cheaper ! simple

I don't see how i'm missing the point - It sounded like an argument for choosing GH2 over Canon?

"....all these formats work on GH2 but NOT Canon EOS" ... "but you cannot use any of the following on a Canon EF mount as they all have a smaller flange focal distance"

I use a lot of old lenses on my 5DmkIII, so I just wanted to clarify, that lens options isn't a huge problem - if any at all. You can use most of the same lenses. I don't spend oceans of time adapting or working out quirky solutions - they work without much hassle. So Luke shouldn't bother spending brain capacity on that part of his problem.

The GH2 is without a doubt a beast - outguns any other cam when it comes to detail. But I still think there is something aesthetically nice about the fullframes - and with the Magic Lantern installed - there is a lot of nice features as well.

My advice is to check every option out, eyes and hands on - I checked out the GH2, and liked it - a lot - but ended up with a 5DmkIII in the end. Choice solely based on looks.

I don't see how i'm missing the point - It sounded like an argument for choosing GH2 over Canon?

"....all these formats work on GH2 but NOT Canon EOS" ... "but you cannot use any of the following on a Canon EF mount as they all have a smaller flange focal distance"

I use a lot of old lenses on my 5DmkIII, so I just wanted to clarify, that lens options isn't a huge problem - if any at all. You can use most of the same lenses. I don't spend oceans of time adapting or working out quirky solutions - they work without much hassle. So Luke shouldn't bother spending brain capacity on that part of his problem.

The GH2 is without a doubt a beast - outguns any other cam when it comes to detail. But I still think there is something aesthetically nice about the fullframes - and with the Magic Lantern installed - there is a lot of nice features as well.

My advice is to check every option out, eyes and hands on - I checked out the GH2, and liked it - a lot - but ended up with a 5DmkIII in the end. Choice solely based on looks.

5D is great I just shot 2 pop videos on it this month all shot with old glass

Im also shooting next week on gh2 as it needs that detail

they both work , I just prefer the gh2 myself

I ended up going for a GH2, with a kowa B&H anamorphic and helios 42, jupiter 9 and MIR24 lenses.

Should be a decent looking filmmaking kit and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks for all the advice, it really helped.

good choise you will not be disappointed