Live coverage - Blackmagic Production Camera 4K and Pocket Cinema Camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Stupid question, cause I know this is way off. But once the Speedbooster comes out for 4/3, what will the focal lenght be for this camera?  since the sensor is 16mm.

Close to Micro 4/3 I'd say.

Not quite. Micro 4/3 in the GH2 is a 1.86x crop factor relative to 35mm full frame, and 2x in the case of the GH3.

Super 16mm is about 3x, so that's a lot more DOF.

For the low-budget film maker, the Pocket Cinema Camera is a "game changer."

If you're a GH2 user looking for much more DR and detail in the shadows, I can't see the GH3 bringing much new to the table in terms of image quality.  By comparison, the GH3 is looking like Panasonic's 5D mk III: an expensive incremental update that, while competent in its own right, fails to fundamentally change the industry to the same degree as its predecessor.

It seems that it's a CCD sensor.

I'm wondering about the trade-offs.

CCD was brought because of the global shutter, for sure, but it has less DR and lower ISO/ASA sensitivity, how much you lose by that?

How much would cost a 13-stop, be it CCD or CMOS, with global shutter and similar sensitivity as the former BMCC?

Is it that hard to have a built-in electronic ND? I know that this 4K Camera was made for you to use all that extra gear and so you would use a normal ND filter, but with a built-in ND, this camera would be a lot more practical and it would allow you to use smaller gears.

Global shutter is such a huge upgrade.  That with 4K will make it an amazing mini-heli cam.  The obvious weaknesses are the file-sizes (especially compared to R3D files), and the lack of higher frame-rates.  I don't think the higher end camera manufacturers are too stressed either.  Regardless of how amazing this camera is, many producers are going to insist that the cameras used on their projects cost a lot more than 4 grand.  

• Administrators

It seems that it's a CCD sensor.

I'm wondering about the trade-offs.

CCD was brought because of the global shutter, for sure, but it has less DR, how much you lose by that?

How much would cost a 13-stop, be it CCD or CMOS, with global shutter?

Is it that hard to have a built-in electronic ND? I know that this 4K Camera was made for you to use all that extra gear and so you would use a normal ND filter, but with a built-in ND, this camera would be a lot more practical and it would allow you to use smaller gears.

It isn't a CCD sensor, Bloom made an error.

CMOS sensor with global shutter capability. John Brawley has confirmed this to me on Twitter just now.

It isn't a CCD sensor, Bloom made an error.

CMOS sensor with global shutter capability. John Brawley has confirmed this to me on Twitter just now.

Ok, I just read the new article! hehe...

So the trade-off for the global shutter was both DR AND ISO sensitivity, which wouldn't compare to Sony's F55, Sony's sensor seems to be a much more advanced - and expensive - sensor. It has more DR and faster readouts, but these two cameras are not aimed at the same people, I understand that but I still wonder how much would it cost to have a 13-stop DR with at least the same sensitivity as the first BMCC.

But although it has it flaws, I like how BlackMagic is shaking things up a bit.

For the low-budget film maker, the Pocket Cinema Camera is a "game changer."

If you're a GH2 user looking for much more DR and detail in the shadows, I can't see the GH3 bringing much new to the table in terms of image quality.  By comparison, the GH3 is looking like Panasonic's 5D mk III: an expensive incremental update that, while competent in its own right, fails to fundamentally change the industry to the same degree as its predecessor.

Yes and no.  From a practical standpoint, the tough magnesium body is a welcome addition.  The battery is amazing at over 3 hours for such a tiny thing.  The LCD panel swings out and has very accurate color, good for low/high shots for run-n-gun situations.  And although not RAW, the codec is very stable and delivers good quality.  I see the GH3 dropping in price dramatically, but don't count it out.  It could easily work together with the Pocket Cinema Camera.