New Blackmagic Camera

Ian Anderson

If you're interested in the new cameras (who isn't?), you might want to head to DSLR News Shooter in about 8 1/2 hours.

At 12:00 PM PST they're streaming a live Q&A with Blackmagic, here:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2013/04/08/watch-our-newsshooterteradek-live-coverage-of-nab-2013-from-1200pm-pacific-time-tomorrow-live-guests-include-blackmagic-design/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Let us not forget Canon have only just released the 1D C.  It is not as if it is an old camera.  And they want to charge a $6k premium for basically a firmware upgrade to shoot crappy MJPEG 4k, with no other video features.  I hope I never have to give that loathsome, corrupt company any of my hard earned money again.  

I preordered the S35 one at CVP. Having seen how long it took people to get theirs, I figure it's best to stick the order in and just cancel if I change my mind! You have about a year-long cooling off period ;)

Just pre-ordered mine too.

Without a doubt, the whole Film World (Indie Filmmakers included) has just witnessed, a group night fall. 

F%$king Insane. What are these guys on?

Please throw the original BMCC into the sea, and deliver these, within the coming year.

R.I.P. RED, Canon C Range, Alexa, all DSLRs used for video, Sony's entire 'F' range etc. Maybe, people can dump them, into the sea ... ;-)

so, its 3x crop factor for the small one ?

Are you sure… mft is only 2x.

This one is super 16mm. Smaller than MFT.

The crop factor (vs full frame stills cameras) should be close to 3x.

The upside of this is that you can use old C-Mount 16mm lenses.

one more thing that was mentioned elsewhere about the pocket camera: with the cropfactor of the sensor a 7mm full frame equals roughly 21mm on this baby. so it wont be easy to get really wide on that camera. still for that price and package i am all sold!

With the m4/3 lenses you will get quite wide. Also keep in mind the Metabones Speedboster. I bet that will be a perfect fit for this camera :)

My guess is the pocket camera uses the same sensor as the original BMCC.  Hence the same 13 stops of dynamic range.  They are just reading a smaller window from the middle of the sensor to give full HD output.

I don't think in terms of full-frame personally, I've only really shot with APSC and S35 at great length, so when I "see" 50mm in my mind I "see" how it looks on a so-called 1.6 crop.

If you're talking about stills, then fine it's 3x.

If you're talking about film, it's a 2x crop, and Super 35 is standard. 

That's how I see it anyway, 135-film size shooting (photographic full frame, 5D Mkii, iii and 6D) is a special case and special use (very low light, very shallow DOF). It's a negative crop of x0.6 or so.

Without a doubt, the whole Film World (Indie Filmmakers included) has just witnessed, a group night fall. 

Please throw the original BMCC into the sea, and deliver these, within the coming year.

R.I.P. RED, Canon C Range, Alexa, all DSLRs used for video, Sony's entire 'F' range etc. Maybe, people can dump them, into the sea ... ;-)

4K RAW has arrived at 4K price. Patience has paid off.  It'll be a good while though before it becomes available

but at least we know where to go. So, i'll guess it should be available in a year time to most of us. Like you said Sanveer....this just exposed all the weak marketing and pricepoints of the entire Canon line. 

S16 Crop factor is about 2,88x.

Sigma 8-16mm: ~ 23-46mm
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 + Speed Booster: ~22,5-33mm f/2.0 (drool)

ou could put the 8-16mm on the Speed Booster if you want wider...

Samyang is working on a 10mm f/2.8 prime for aps-c, that might be a good one as well at 29mm without or 20mm with Speed Booster.

There are plenty of options for this sensor size nowadays!

One problem with the BMCC mini: how the hell do you record uncompressed RAW to SD cards?

EDIT: Looking around, seems you'd want a bunch of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841569-REG/Lexar_LCF128CTBNA1000_128GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html

You'd need at least a 125 MB/s write speed. 128GB gets you 15 minutes of footage, so still better than the film days. And of course, you can reuse the cards.

Pro-Res is of course the saner option.

This is a CF card, not a SD :)