New Blackmagic Camera

Ian Anderson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One problem with the BMCC mini: how the hell do you record uncompressed RAW to SD cards?

EDIT: Looking around, seems you'd want a bunch of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841569-REG/Lexar_LCF128CTBNA1000_128GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html

You'd need at least a 125 MB/s write speed. 128GB gets you 15 minutes of footage, so still better than the film days. And of course, you can reuse the cards.

Pro-Res is of course the saner option.

Not quite, I think, since 1080p isn't as much data as 2.7k, but I hear you. Still, I bet they've figured it out somehow if they're offering that option.
I wish they'd get around to using Cineform RAW as a recording format or something like that. I guess it'll come around to that sooner than later.

Good point on 1080p RAW. But still...damn.

They're not kidding when they say 'Production Camera', as the hardware and storage requirements for dealing with 4K CinemaDNG RAW must be frightening, even with the compression. On that note, surely uncompressed is an option as well...right?

This is a very smart move, as the BMC was sort of awkwardly positioned as a camera that was a bit too expensive for no budget enthusiasts, and (at least perceived as) a bit too limiting for big production houses. With the two new products they've plugged the gaps very well. The only problem is the lack of Resolve on the Pocket BMCC. If you are going to shoot RAW, you'll need DaVinci Resolve, or an equivalent program. Otherwise, what's the point?

Blackmagic just exposed (again) the entire camera industry. This is what Panasonic should have done to beat Canon and Sony, but didn't even bother to try.

I hope they can manage demand better this time around. We need them to.

This is history in the making.

I'll buy one when it's available. I can wait.

The only problem is the lack of Resolve on the Pocket BMCC. If you are going to shoot RAW, you'll need DaVinci Resolve, or an equivalent program. Otherwise, what's the point?

You forget . . . Resolve Lite is 100% free. The only limitation to the software is a 1920x1080 export frame size (AFAIK). Since that is supposedly the size of the sensor on the Pocket BMCC, they needn't include the full version of their software.

The 4K cam most interests me, though. It is, in my book, very nearly a "perfect camera" (on paper). The only thing I utterly despise is that idiotic EF lens mount. WHY?! There is no mirror inside it, so WHY?! It ought to have a short flange focal distance so that other lens systems are adaptable.

Holy crap I am definitely placing a pre-order on that pocket cam.. Active m4/3 mount so my m4/3 glass will work + speed booster compatible for other glass.. I'll place a pre-order and compare it to my GH3 and see what happens.

Just tatooed blackmagic on my forehead!

Holy cow. I might be going for both of them. The pocket camera for sure. This is just what i have been waiting for all the time: something small with a stealth factor, good for run and gun and no 8bit crap, no 420 color space. This just sounds way too good to be true. Please dont fool my passionately beating heart!

Thats what the world needs, companies that kick the lazy big players, who just see us as cash cows, rightly in the bum. Oh well, would not surprise me though if canon fan boys kept buying their crippled down stuff just too feel good.

If they release this, i will definitely support them.

The Pocket Cinema Camera has really captured my imagination. Just think...if you attach a pistol grip to the bottom and an EVF to the back, and keep your other hand on the manual focus ring, you have a very practical run and gun handheld set-up with three points of contact.

Of course, you'd need another person with you to record sound.

No, I have a Tascam on my GH2 rig, headphones, no problem.

I was just saying that a BMPCC + HDMI EVF + pistol grip is a great low profile rig, but you'd need a sound recordist. If you build a cage around it then sure, you can have a reccorder + shotgun mic, no problem.

On behalf of the whole forum...

eSX5q.gif

Indeed.

But shit just got even more real for the big players in this industry...IF Blackmagic have sorted out their production problems.

I'm hoping the situation is that they simply made a decision last year to not bother to ramp up production on the original cinema camera, because they knew they had two cameras in the making that made the original irrelevant. If they're still experiencing the same difficulties in getting cameras out there, this is all just a big tease.

Indeed.

But shit just got even more real for the big players in this industry...IF Blackmagic have sorted out their production problems.

I'm hoping the situation is that they simply made a decision last year to not bother to ramp up production on the original cinema camera, because they knew they had two cameras in the making that made the original irrelevant. If they're still experiencing the same difficulties in getting cameras out there, this is all just a big tease.

They will probably provide a service to convert BMCC preorders to BMPC with a priority queue, which will delay any BMPC orders for new customers. They would've known that demand is going to explode even more, let's hope they have been ramping up the production line.

Oh my god. That Pocket camera is f*cking amazing. I WANT it so bad. It's the 'hobbyist' raw cinema camera i've been waiting for. I thought It would take a few years before things got that far... Must. Have. It.

Imagine: Pocket Cinema Camera + Speed Booster + Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.... even wide angle is covered.

"I think I'm going to pick up a C300 for $16,000 instead of the $4,000 4k BMC," said no one ever. Cannot believe a 4 grand camera outclassed Canon's ENTIRE cinema line. What a joke. Time to step it up Canon. You now actually have to try hard. 

I've also never heard of anyone shooting a real world production on a camera that might not exist until 2014. Slate Canon all you like, but you can go into B&H and buy a c300, today.

Anyway.....

I'm interested to see what the rest of NAB brings, i'm hoping Go-Pro step into the game too.... That should really heat things up.

As things stand, my eyes are firmly on the FS700+Oddessy Q7 combo (confirmed to shoot 4K/30p raw and 2K/240p raw continuous!). It is a camera i can buy today, it will get even better in a few months... For around $15k, all in, with battery and lenses.

But, things are gonna change quickly this week!

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the F55, but glad i waited for NAB.