New Blackmagic Camera

Ian Anderson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Damn, they're stepping it up big time! Super 35 4k for $4,000?? Who the hell is going to buy the original BMC? ha. 

Wow, I officially am going to buy this one. I love what Blackmagic is doing to the industry and how they are really pushing things forward. Really refreshing to see a company put their best foot forward and not just pump out 1080p cameras left and right that no one cares about.

What is every other camera manufacturer thinking right now besides what the fuck do we do now? Canon's ridiculously priced 8 bit 4K 1DC is going to be bought by no one when you could buy 3 of these for the same price and it shoots RAW!!! 

Wow, this is a legit game-changer if this camera is real. 

So maybe they haven't bothered to fix the problems with the BMC and mass produce it because they realized there was no point in pushing a camera with that many flaws when they could produce something that much better just around the corner?

While the Production Camera is amazing for $4000 (global shutter WHAT) the Pocket BMC may be the one no budget filmmakers everywhere have been waiting for. A shrunk (cropped?) original BMCC sensor with an active MFT lens mount for $995. If you're a GH1/2/3 user, you can use all your Lumix lenses, and if you have a standard HDMI EVF, it supports that now too, no need for an SDI-HDMI convertor. 

GH3 will need a price drop, and fast.

Guess the 4/3 Rumors post that no-one believed from last year was true!

Thinking about this, they haven't just killed the Red and Canon offerings, but also the Digital Bolex, if that thing was ever going to be brought to market. If you want a Super 16 sized sensor, here it is for $1000. If you want no rolling shutter, here it is for just a bit more than the Bolex S16 would cost, thanks to a global shutter/CMOS combination.

Makes me feel bad for those guys, to be honest.

One problem with the BMCC mini: how the hell do you record uncompressed RAW to SD cards?

EDIT: Looking around, seems you'd want a bunch of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841569-REG/Lexar_LCF128CTBNA1000_128GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html

You'd need at least a 125 MB/s write speed. 128GB gets you 15 minutes of footage, so still better than the film days. And of course, you can reuse the cards.

Pro-Res is of course the saner option.

A shrunk (cropped?) original BMCC sensor with an active MFT lens mount for $995.

Who says it's shrunk or cropped? Could it not just be a regular MFT sensor?

If you're a GH1/2/3 user, you can use all your Lumix lenses, and if you have a standard HDMI EVF, it supports that now too, no need for an SDI-HDMI convertor. 

GH3 will need a price drop, and fast.

Today I think I did a lot of things right. 

> returned to FCP (now X)

> finally learned Resolve lite (btw, do you get Resolve full version with the Pocket CC? ;) ), I'm loving it.

> invested in more MFT lenses

> didn't believe in vaporware gamechangers

Who says it's shrunk or cropped? Could it not just be a regular MFT sensor?

They're marketing it as a 1080p super 16 sensor. Super 16 is smaller than a MFT sensor. 

BMCC was a 2432 x 1366 2.5K camera.

They're calling it 13 stops, which matches with the BMCC sensor. I'm guessing they've cropped it to the super 16 size, leaving them with 1920x1080 or so. Makes more sense to reuse the BMC sensor than develop a new one.

Damn, they're stepping it up big time! Super 35 4k for $4,000?? Who the hell is going to buy the original BMC? ha.

Wow, I officially am going to buy this one. I love what Blackmagic is doing to the industry and how they are really pushing things forward. Really refreshing to see a company put their best foot forward and not just pump out 1080p cameras left and right that no one cares about.

What is every other camera manufacturer thinking right now besides what the fuck do we do now? Canon's ridiculously priced 8 bit 4K 1DC is going to be bought by no one when you could buy 3 of these for the same price and it shoots RAW!!!

Wow, this is a legit game-changer if this camera is real.

Lol!!

All Canon have to do is un-cripple everything in the lineup with a firmware update and they should be fine. Ha!!

Clean out 5D3. I hear party poppers.

They're marketing it as a 1080p super 16 sensor. Super 16 is smaller than a MFT sensor. 

BMCC was a 2432 x 1366 2.5K camera.

They're calling it 13 stops, which matches with the BMCC sensor. I'm guessing they've cropped it to the super 16 size, leaving them with 1920x1080 or so. Makes more sense to reuse the BMC sensor than develop a new one.

Yeah, probably right. There is a downer everywhere. Can't the world be perfect just one time?