LA7200 lens combo advice

Lucian

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on putting together a few lenses to use with my LA7200 anamorphic.

I plan to use it primarily for narrative short film projects, so versatility/range is ideal. to complicate things

I'm shooting on a t2i at the moment  but planning to upgrade to a full frame 6D at the end of the year,

so anything I buy would be with that in mind.

I'm looking for glass with character, specifically a vintage or cinematic feel. Not looking to spend a fortune, i've heard Russian glass is great but have never used it.

I'd also be keen to hear of diopter possibilities, This guy has had success using cheapos.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm looking for such step-down ring for a while, and it never crossed my path! This makes things a lot easier, since 86mm is quite friendly.

About the glass, I use a lot of russian M42 lenses, and the look great with any anamorphic, including the LA7200. And they're cheap! :D

I'm looking for such step-down ring for a while, and it never crossed my path! This makes things a lot easier, since 86mm is quite friendly.

About the glass, I use a lot of russian M42 lenses, and the look great with any anamorphic, including the LA7200. And they're cheap! :D

You are looking for a 105mm-86mm step down? isn't this one ?

regarding russian glass. I know the helios 44 is supposed to be great, i was thinking of buying one of the dog shidt optics ones,

though I am worried I wont be able to create a continuous look across a whole film with so much character in just one lens size.

I think this ring is for matteboxes, and not filters, and I refuse to spend $80 on a ring! For this kind of money I can go and find someone that makes whatever I need! hahahaha

My flarefactory is arriving soon (I hope), and while their family doesn't grow, I'll try to complete full projects with just this one lens, or use it for special flary shots. hahahaha. But, the main reason I bought it is because I've played with a regular Helios 44 before, and loved it. I think you should do the same (please don't kill me, Rich!). Get a regular one first, see if you like, and then go for the modded one.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

New to Anamorphic.

The LA7200 could screw directly on my Samyang 85mm f1.4 - no adapter ring needed - liked it a lot.

Wondering why more people aren't using Canon L lenses with the la7200 since most of them are 72mm threads in front. Is there an image problem I'm not thinking of or is the multicoating cutting down on flares?

Hello,

New to Anamorphic.

Wondering why more people aren't using Canon L lenses with the la7200 since most of them are 72mm threads in front. Is there an image problem I'm not thinking of or is the multicoating cutting down on flares?

Although the filter thread is 72mm, the actual imaging area is smaller and rectangular.  Most L lenses and modern lenses have a front element that is too large, so you will see the corners of the imaging area.  Ideally you want a smaller lens more like the older 52mm fronts so that you don't see the edges.  Take a good look at the back of the LA7200 and you will understand.

More than that, from my personal experiments with L lenses and anamorphics, they don't match well. I couldn't get sharp focus in many cases.

The LA7200 does great with the 24-70 and the 16-35, from 28mm to 50mm, but you'll need step rings in either cases.