"Dies Somnum" 6K Anamorphic GH5 vid

Neumann Films

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Love the piece. Nice to see a real effort instead of cat videos or leaves. That said... the imagery looks good, but the motion cadence feels videoish in places.  This might be down to the 24p conversion. Would love to see the 10bit vlog. I'll give the lenses a pass as their price to performance make them sort of the only game in town... still these come out.

4 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I feel your pain monitoring anamorphic on the 502. I've asked them repeatedly to implement custom scaling so we can use the full width of the screen. One halfway solution is to put the monitor into scaling for the Canon 5D. It punches in a bit, which helps, but it's not perfect. My Odyssey on the otherhand handles anamorphic monitoring perfectly.

Interesting. So maybe it is a SmallHD issue? I do use the 2x tap on the 502 which helps alot for focus, after framing.

3 hours ago, tweak said:

I can think of better words than "enigma" if you want, no need to complicate things. :)

Go for it. :)

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Love the piece. Nice to see a real effort instead of cat videos or leaves. That said... the imagery looks good, but the motion cadence feels videoish in places.  This might be down to the 24p conversion. Would love to see the 10bit vlog. I'll give the lenses a pass as their price to performance make them sort of the only game in town... still these come out.

I have always felt that way about the Lumix line of cameras but didn't notice it on this project much.  If it is there, yeah it is likely due to being shot in 30.

Panasonic wanted to utilize SLR Magic lenses as they have a good relationship with them.  I really wish Panasonic would develop an M43 anamorphic like themselves :)

Really nice work Luke. It has a very nice modern Alexa look. It kind of reminds me of "The Witch." 

I have been a fan of yours for years. Right after I got my first DSLR for video... the t2i, I saw one of your Oregon videos shot with Minolta lenses... or was it Yashica? Anyway, I remember telling my girlfriend that I hope to make videos that look as good one day. After seeing this piece, it looks like I'll still be saying that. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Really nice work Luke. It has a very nice modern Alexa look. It kind of reminds me of "The Witch." 

I have been a fan of yours for years. Right after I got my first DSLR for video... the t2i, I saw one of your Oregon videos shot with Minolta lenses... or was it Yashica? Anyway, I remember telling my girlfriend that I hope to make videos that look as good one day. After seeing this piece, it looks like I'll still be saying that. 

Thanks man :)

Yeah, we used those for a bit, wasn't a huge fan if I remember correctly.  Was it the Nikkor Ai-s primes?  We used those for a long time.

7 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Thanks man :)

Yeah, we used those for a bit, wasn't a huge fan if I remember correctly.  Was it the Nikkor Ai-s primes?  We used those for a long time.

I think it was Minolta. Because I went out and bought the 50mm 1.7 because of the video. I wasn't aware the adapter needed corrective glass to reach infinity... I probably didn't know what infinity was to be honest.

Just now, mercer said:

I think it was Minolta. Because I went out and bought the 50mm 1.7 because of the video. I wasn't aware the adapter needed corrective glass to reach infinity... I probably didn't know what infinity was to be honest.

Yeah, I remember we had one for a bit but it didn't seem like for very long.  Yup, back before the online barrage of "10 ways to be a better DP" from a 100 different YouTube channels.  I didn't know what moire or aliasing was and it didn't bother me one bit :)  Now my head is full of these little details...which are fine but at the same time a little distracting from trying to be creative!  Mental clutter.

7 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Interesting. So maybe it is a SmallHD issue? I do use the 2x tap on the 502 which helps alot for focus, after framing.

it's kinda both, but it's the SmallHD that should have the controls to monitor it properly. you're seeing black on the sides because the GH5 is 4x3 for anamorphic. but through HDMI it has to send a 16x9 signal so it pillarboxes the 4x3 image within a 16x9 frame. so when you monitor for 2x anamorphic on the 502 it squashes the height by 50%, which includes the black on the sides. what it *should* do is also push in to a 2.39:1 aspect ratio. if you shot anamorphic in a normal 16x9 frame on the GH5, that black area on the side would be filled with active picture, and you'd see it on your 502, but your full aspect ratio would be 3.56:1.

37 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Yeah, I remember we had one for a bit but it didn't seem like for very long.  Yup, back before the online barrage of "10 ways to be a better DP" from a 100 different YouTube channels.  I didn't know what moire or aliasing was and it didn't bother me one bit :)  Now my head is full of these little details...which are fine but at the same time a little distracting from trying to be creative!  Mental clutter.

Yup, I never noticed moire, now I cannot believe how prevalent it is on network TV... usually local news.

Anyway, very inspiring video. Actually, not to piss on the GH5, but when I was deadset on preordering it, your Oregon Summer 5D3 video was crucial to me changing my mind and going with the 5D3 instead... I still kinda want a GH5, because it seems like such a great tool, but I don't think I would sell my 5D3 for one... maybe next year when the price settles a little.

12 hours ago, mercer said:

Hey Luke, just watched this video again and I must say I may be more impressed than the first viewing. Were your opening shots a time lapse or were they done in post?

Also... any chance you and the wife would consider making a director's commentary for this video... would love to know the details. 

Ha, small world! I literally just uploaded a similar video that will go live on Monday morning.  Kinda of like a commentary mixed with some post workflow insights and other stuff.  

10 hours ago, j.f.r. said:

Definitely the GH5 footage I was looking for...... Greta location. Art Design and "Mood" created. Watching on a 2.5k Monitor and looks LOVELY, very good job and definitely would recommend this camera based off of this footage (if this is any indication of what is capable , Panasonic has something Special here).

@Neumann Films That's great, looking forward to it. I almost bought a used one last night, but I'm too happy with my 5D3 right now to justify another big purchase, but I do predict a GH5 in my future one day.

Any chance you'll be getting one of those new fangled cine cameras, under the Shroud of Turin, to test?

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

@Neumann Films That's great, looking forward to it. I almost bought a used one last night, but I'm too happy with my 5D3 right now to justify another big purchase, but I do predict a GH5 in my future one day.

Any chance you'll be getting one of those new fangled cine cameras, under the Shroud of Turin, to test?

I honestly haven't heard a peep, with how big of a company they are I imagine the guys I'm dealing with are in a totally different department and pretty much don't deal with it. Who knows, I might ask though :)

16 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Hi Luke....just looks fantastic!!...a question....how did you attach the Lume Cube to the Inspire, and how was flying it with the extra weight added to the front of the aircraft?

There are two adapters that Lume Cube makes for the Inspire 1.  It seemed to do fine, I took the camera off just as a precaution though.  That might have helped a lot.