Rigging for 360 car passenger POV

Jimbo

Hello,

I need some advice for rigging. A client wants to record a 360 video from the point of view of a car passenger and after googling for a number of days I'm struggling to come up with a solution.

They don't need full 360 video so I'm going to be testing with a GH5 + Sigma 4.5mm Fisheye for a 360x180 and if that goes well I will probably invest in a Entaniya MFT 250. For this job a one lens solution to aid fast production is the best choice.

So, on to rigging. I've ruled out glass suction and floor-ceiling rod because it will be seen in final video. In my mind I've been imagining strapping a tripod to the back seat/floor behind the passenger seat and then somehow extending that platform horizontally out so that I can suspend the camera at passenger eye level.

The most promising thing I've found so far is a Manfrotto Magic Arm:
https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/magic-arm-with-bracket

But I am unsure how I would attach the spigot to the tripod? Or whether using a tripod is even the best solution? I also thought I could buy some rods etc. and extend out but not sure where to start with that.

Unfortunately my limited experience with rigging is hampering my imagination with the options are out there!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Did something similar a while back for passenger POV and had no time to pre-rig anything. I ended up removing passenger seat headrest and ratchet strapping the tripod (folded closed) to the back side of the passenger seat. Tripod head and camera was then free to occupy the space where the headrest used to be. A bonus of the setup was that the tripod head could also pan and tilt by an operator in the back of the car, approximating the head turns of our passenger's POV whilst in a car chase. 

For your needs it could be similar setup...but with an extension or longer plate on the tripod to give the camera a bit more overhang, closer to where the passenger's head would be. Magic arms are good, but not the best for camera support on their own if car is moving...they tend to vibrate. Magic arms (used in multiples) are great for additional support and cranking down a grip for 'on the fly' rigs like this. If the car is to be moving, it is generally best to strap down a hi-hat or tripod solution where multiple points of support from straps and clamps can be employed...something where vibration can be minimised as much as possible.

Thanks guys! Really helpful. I think the headrest mount would be good for testing, but tripod and strapping down will be more stable and I can get the camera in the perfect position.

If I can get the tripod head tight enough to the seat then that might just do the trick. Good to know about vibrations with magic arms. Nice idea on the longer plate @Hans Punk ! Might be just enough and prevent need for cost of rods and what not.

45 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks guys! Really helpful. I think the headrest mount would be good for testing, but tripod and strapping down will be more stable and I can get the camera in the perfect position.

If I can get the tripod head tight enough to the seat then that might just do the trick. Good to know about vibrations with magic arms. Nice idea on the longer plate @Hans Punk ! Might be just enough and prevent need for cost of rods and what not.

Either way I would test out before the shoot as much as you can.

Unless monitoring wireless away from the car...you won't be able to see 'live' the amount of shake or vibration that gets picked up. It's well worth testing out and reviewing footage to make sure any rig solution is working. You should be good in minimising shake if using a very wide lens like you mentioned.

Strapping a hefty lump (tripod and head) firmly to a large fixed point (passenger seat) is going to give better stability...it may not look as pretty, but it should do the job. Any fixed single clamp/bracket/arm is often perfect for GoPro weight cameras, but for anything heavier tends to make the rig vibrate. Ideally you may want to ratchet-strap the collapsed tripod to the passenger seat rear and maybe use additional straps/clamps to door handles or other fixed features inside the car as long as they are not in vision of your lens.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks, Hans! Are there any goto straps/clamps you'd recommend?

Any tie down/ratchet straps will work...can be found at most DIY places. Magic arms with clamps at both ends are good for support and C-stand knuckles and rods can make lots of funky rigs possible...but maybe overkill for your needs.

Maybe try the tripod and straps first for a test...as 2-3 decent straps will cost under 20 quid. Maybe some carpet or padding to go between seat and tripod if cranking the straps super tight (to stop any dents/rips in seat upholstery)  If that solution does not look practical maybe look into that headrest mount.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks, Hans! Are there any goto straps/clamps you'd recommend?

There are some long plates that also act as lens supports or large telephoto lenses.....if you mounted one of those on the tripod head as per Hans Punk's suggestion, and then mounted the camera where the lens support goes, it will put the sensor exactly at the eye position of a passenger...a little modification may be required (I've never used one) but it could be a sturdy rapid solution...any ratchet straps from a hardware store for luggage racks will work for securing the tripod...

https://www.amazon.com/Sirui-TY-350-Telephoto-Support-Plate/dp/B00AZTCHI4

something like this

45 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Nice @Fritz Pierre - something like that telephoto mount could be the ticket!

I think so....and if you were under time restraints and depending on your location, a piece of aluminum flat bar and a metal worker cutting a slot in it would be quick...a bit of flat black spray paint and voila...an immediate solution...otherwise this seems ideal at $90 something...depending on your budget there are also some time lapse motorized gadgets that can give you a 360 degree smooth pan with adjustable speed...not unlike a product turntable, but turning the camera instead and they come with a 1/4-20 screw on top...(speaking from memory here) but I think these exist.