M�VI set to revolutionise filmmaking - Vincent LaForet shows gyro stabiliser by Freefly Systems (with footage from GH3 and 1D C)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Don't have time to read through all the pages- not clear if this has been mentioned. This system is not gyro stabilized in the traditional sense with cameras (e.g. Kenyon labs style using high-speed spinning masses). This type of stabilization doesn't even need a gyro- all that's needed is an accelerometer and filtered magnetometer. From these two sample vectors, an orthogonal basis can be formed whereby a rotation matrix can be created. Simple pots or optical encoders can be used on the gymbols and from there the math can be done to tell the servos how to move the camera. Since mems gryos are so cheap, it's natural to use them to improve orientation determination quality (accelerometers have motion bias and magnetometers are noisy). Notwithstanding any patents, this type of system could be built fairly inexpensively- the highest cost elements would be the motors/servos and the case/frame to mount the camera. The electronics would be low cost- same price as RC equipment.

$100- same concept:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/705844:BlogPost:2185

Note comment regarding gyro drift: this is where the accelerometer (gravity) and magnetometer (compass) can be use to prevent drift (added cost, but still cheap).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YJXv-Qm4ZUc[/video]

$3500 for something more advanced (as mentioned by others: Zenmuse): http://aerialtechnology.com/shop/zenmuse-3-axis-gimbal-sony-nex-7/

With more competition, the price will come down.

Well - my thinking is... They're a small company, small team of 5 people. To do the kind of quantities a low price point would have necessitated wouldn't be possible. Sorry but that is the way it is. Better to provide it first of all in small quantities to pros - and they are certainly willing to pay for such a thing.

I hope - really hope - they will grow significantly and in a year to 2 years be offering price competitive devices, as the market is sure to flood with similar things for cheaper very soon.

In a related note - How did the steadicam builders miss this? Have they been ignoring the quadrocopter scene altogether? Strange.

Not all steadicam builders and operators missed brushless technology. I'm part of a german open source community, testing and building brushless systems since a few months. Somebody there showcased a DIY gimbal that looks exactly like the handheld MöVI:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/e4b9a5247306171

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php?24682-MoVi-Freefly-Brushless-Gimbal-goes-Hollywood/page2

I did also notice how good this system is for handheld usage, though it is only 2 axis at the moment. But the third axis is on it's way:

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php?24620-Offizieller-Thread-Brushless-Gimbal-Controller-f%FCr-3-Achsen  (...sorry, everything in German).

I'm building a 2 meter crane version for my steadicam very similar to the Portocam or Steadicam Tango. Should be ready to show first results soon :). Once the 3 axis controller is available I'll add handles for handheld as well. Brushless systems are also great for shotmakers and car mounts like this guy shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWRKXHPSCls.

Interesting! I can understand German and English keep us posted AndreasK!

I did also notice how good this system is for handheld usage, though it is only 2 axis at the moment. But the third axis is on it's way:

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php?24620-Offizieller-Thread-Brushless-Gimbal-Controller-f%FCr-3-Achsen  (...sorry, everything in German).

I'm building a small crane version for my steadicam very similar to the Portocam or Steadicam Tango. Should be ready to show first results soon :). Once the 3 axis controller is available I'll add handles for hanhheld as well. Brushless systems are also great for shotmakers and car mounts like this guy shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWRKXHPSCls.

My Opinion,

This video is not an accident. It was planned and staged, promoting 2 products, Canon 1Dc and the MOVI.There is an expression,"Your the master of your tools". In this case, I think the Movi took precedent , the shots, the story are weak(to me). I was more blown away in a previous post showing a video shot in Paris with a Black Magic camera.(simply stunning)Put this unit in different hands, you'll get a different results.I still think this is a good product, would like to have one, way, way over priced. Be patient, won't be long before there are similar units on the market priced accordingly.

I can't hate on the price because there isn't enough hands on the production to supply the demand for something like that. No denying it's a really cool addition to the arsenal! Just sucks that I can't afford it and that's about it. This is something I would want to "own" also.. You can run with a low to the ground shot. Something I can't do with a Merlin.. It doesn't have the footprint of a big ass Pilot system. Just seems like getting steady footage in confined spaces like a car, or anything for that matter is what's so cool about it.

It will get cheaper. And then you'll have a raw cinema camera for $3000, on a small handheld rig that cuts the hassle of dollies, tracks, cranes, etc. The market is heading for professional level filmmaking "looks"... in half the work. Some will call that catering to laziness, others will praise the ability to just grab this thing and get the damn shot! Lol.

[attachment=462:cart.jpg]

I can't hate on the price because there isn't enough hands on the production to supply the demand for something like that. No denying it's a really cool addition to the arsenal! Just sucks that I can't afford it and that's about it. This is something I would want to "own" also.. You can run with a low to the ground shot. Something I can't do with a Merlin.. It doesn't have the footprint of a big ass Pilot system. Just seems like getting steady footage in confined spaces like a car, or anything for that matter is what's so cool about it.

It will get cheaper. And then you'll have a raw cinema camera for $3000, on a small handheld rig that cuts the hassle of dollies, tracks, cranes, etc. The market is heading for professional level filmmaking "looks"... in half the work. Some will call that catering to laziness, others will praise the ability to just grab this thing and get the damn shot! Lol.

Soon I will post on Vimeo bunch of stuff I have made over the winter to add to my tool palette. It's nice to have various pieces of equipment available to accommodate different types of shots required for your project. One is a traditional camera dolly, main camera stem, narrow wheel base, seat for camera operator,to be manually pushed. Another is a steadycam rickshaw which I stumbled across a BTS video from" SOPHIE ", have never seen one before so I'm making one. Camera operator can have a steadycam, shoulder rig and I will add a post to attach a mini jib. I have also converted an old bagboy golf cart that I picked up in a second hand shop for 5 bucks. It's all metal so I used a kee clamp system with 3/4 alm pipe. The camera can hover anywhere from ground level to above waist height and can do dollies, pans and follow shots, folds up and goes in your car. If your on your own, a great thing to have. Here is a quick shot, above the camera I have a Ninja2, need a longer HDMI cable so I can move it closer to me.

I think there's two things going on here, the MoVi thing, and Laforet's "short", one is awesome, the other is incredibly terrible.

This thing obviously has a lot of potential, it's a novelty and they're charging for that, realistically this thing could be sold for well under $5k. But they were the first to provide it at this level of completion and useability, so let them milk it while they can.

Laforet's short however seems to me like a terrible demo. Most people have mentioned the out of focus and poorly framed shots, bad editing and poor filmmaking in general, most shots are totally unmotivated, and worse of all, there's nothing here in terms of camera movement that I haven't seen before. Watch a film like Hannah and and you'll find plenty of fluid steady shots, much better shot, so he missed his chance of showin off the specific skills this thing might have.

worse of all, there's nothing here in terms of camera movement that I haven't seen before.

The shot looking down the narrow spiral staircase as the camera descends is probably the only thing that couldn't be done with a traditional Steadicam set-up (or a Steadicam + crane, in the case of the taxi shot, which is admittedly impressive in its complexity).

Laforet's imagination seems pretty limited. If you're going to make a short where every shot is meant to demo a stabiliser, you may as well let the thing really fly. Up, down, left, right, go nuts in 3D space.

I think there's two things going on here, the MoVi thing, and Laforet's "short", one is awesome, the other is incredibly terrible.

This thing obviously has a lot of potential, it's a novelty and they're charging for that, realistically this thing could be sold for well under $5k. But they were the first to provide it at this level of completion and useability, so let them milk it while they can.

Laforet's short however seems to me like a terrible demo. Most people have mentioned the out of focus and poorly framed shots, bad editing and poor filmmaking in general, most shots are totally unmotivated, and worse of all, there's nothing here in terms of camera movement that I haven't seen before. Watch a film like Hannah and and you'll find plenty of fluid steady shots, much better shot, so he missed his chance of showin off the specific skills this thing might have.

I think he was going for a "Black Swan" look, which can backfire if you are not Darren Aronofsky.

Active image stabilization is great in the meantime. But imagine the MöVi or a similar device on a shot of this kind (starting 1:45 min): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFXv6bDIY8#t=1m45s

Soy Cuba is from 1964 but still a classic with extraordinary shots.The camera was handheld and passed from one operator to another or connected to cablecam trollies ascending from street level, through the building and at the other side again on a cablecam and above the street. Thogether there were two flights with cablecam systems and the rig was connected with a magnet to the trollies for fast coupling. I would use carabiners for higher safety and together with my cablecam I can imagine to get something like this done. The stabilized third axis would also help on the cablecam to point the camera correctly and being stabilized like in the MöVi video.

Here is some additional information about the movie: http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=850

Active image stabilization is great in the meantime. But imagine the MöVi or a similar device on a shot of this kind (starting 1:45 min): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFXv6bDIY8#t=1m45s

The film is from 1964 but still a classic with extraordinary shots.The camera was handheld and passed from one operator to another or connected to the cablecam trollies ascending from street level, through the building and at the other side again on a cablecam and above the street. Thogether there were two flights with a cablecam system and the system was connected with a magnet to the trollies for fast coupling. I would use carabiners for higher saftey and together with my cablecam I can imagine to get something like this done. The stabilized third axis would also help on the cablecam to point the camera correctly and beeing stabilized like in the MöVi video.

Here is some additional information about the movie: http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=850

That was impressive.  I definitely can see how the MoVI - and only something like the MoVI - could easily improve the look of a crazy shot like that.

Can somebody tell me what's so game-changing about the MOVI, instead of purchasing a Glidecam?

The only significance I see (maybe I'm wrong) is the fact that it seems like you don't have to deal with weights and stabilize it. Other than that, I see no difference from a Glidecam shot.

We still need tripods, we still need to pull focus, jibs, sliders, dollies...

So, once again, please tell me why this is so great, and why should I purchase this $7500 device if I had the money.

I'm wondering about the noise and of the stepper motors or the shake and noise of the servo motors.

Is recording sound on the rig still possible?

The raw footage from the 1DC doesn't have audible engine noise at all. This thing is very quiet.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013/04/10/movi-store-is-up-and-more-videos-of-it-in-action/

New Movi video... wow!

I don't care what anyone says, this is a game changer... Even for indie, low budgeters.... Just rent the thing. Spending $1000 renting this for your short will be far more worthwhile than having 4K, raw or whatever else you think you need, imho. With a bit of imagination, you can get some really cinematic camera movement. Check out the guy passing the camera to another guy on the truck... So simple, but looks like an expensive crane/jib move.