M�VI set to revolutionise filmmaking - Vincent LaForet shows gyro stabiliser by Freefly Systems (with footage from GH3 and 1D C)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/62917185[/media]

Check out the GH3 MoVI footage and donate to charity - $3 at Vimeo On Demand

If you've ever wanted to pull off just about any camera move with a tiny handheld rig, that just became reality. Potentially replacing the traditional steadicam at a stroke the tiny lightweight MōVI (easier to Google as "Movi") is a gyro stabilised platform with gimbal and hand grip. It appears to be so effective it allows you to pull of a tracking shot without a track, a pan / tilt without a tripod and a dolly shot without a dolly!

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/9985/movi-set-to-revolutionise-filmmaking-vincent-laforet-shows-gyro-stabiliser-by-freefly-systems-with-footage-from-gh3-and-1d-c]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is what i posted on the other thread:

It is a game changer, in my eyes.... and cheaper ones will come very soon.

For many years, people have been craving the "filmic look"

First, they thought it was 24p, then large sensor, then resolution, then higher DR ......... those things certainly help, but the way the camera moves is also a huge part of what makes something filmic.

This gizmo is gonna allow for some amazing, cinematic camera moves. Coupled with a drone, you could make something absolutely stunning on any DSLR.

Great product, but they basically priced themselves out of real success. For $15k ( and even $7.5k ) they will only get highend customers who are a very small market and can afford steadycam rental anyway. 

If they went for the 5D/7D shooters and lowered their margins they would've become millionaires. This thing needed to cost $3k to be a game-changer and a true 'companion to DSLR revolution'.

I'm sure this will become a niche product for action/stunt work in cramped environments and will be used on big budget movies in a shot or two and popular with the rental houses. But they missed the DSLR train, high volume sales ( "to own" customers ) and the chance to truly change the game.

Next.

• Administrators

Well - my thinking is... They're a small company, small team of 5 people. To do the kind of quantities a low price point would have necessitated wouldn't be possible. Sorry but that is the way it is. Better to provide it first of all in small quantities to pros - and they are certainly willing to pay for such a thing.

I hope - really hope - they will grow significantly and in a year to 2 years be offering price competitive devices, as the market is sure to flood with similar things for cheaper very soon.

In a related note - How did the steadicam builders miss this? Have they been ignoring the quadrocopter scene altogether? Strange.

The 5D was a gamechanger not because it allowed shallow DoF. 35mm adapters also allowed this. It was a gamechanger because all of a sudden thousands of aspiring hobbyists deemed themselves indie filmmakers. A specific look that was - adequately or not - associated with 'cinema' now was affordable (and manageable, because the mentioned  35mm adapters were a pain in the ass, bulky and swallowing light).

Did the change bear any fruit?

First of all, very many terrible DSLR shots. But also a few very interesting ones.

The 5D fulfilled the promise that everybody could shoot attractive video on no budget. And some really did.  

This Mōvi (at a price of, say, 2000 bucks) would lead to dramaturgically unmotivated steady shots in heaps. Just as DSLRs led to 99,9% self-related focus transitions and attempts to blur the banality of the motifs. And I don't favor helicopters over cats.

None of the steady shots would change the quality of low budget films at all. It causes us to believe we need yet another gyro gizmo before we can express ourselves. It is a change-delayer.

• Administrators

It is silly to be cynical about something because of how badly people might use it!

I am sure when space travel becomes a cheap practical reality, people will be moaning about all those wannabe Captain Spocks flying around with their warp drives bumping into Mars. Who cares.

The creativity and freedom to move the camera this thing gives us is enormous!

And it is not all about 10 minute tracking shots. Subtle moves and pans / tilts are going to be common uses too. A tripod is so very yesterday.

The MoVI is very similar to the 5D Mark II, it allows a talent to fly. Without talent and creative ideas it is nothing, same with the cameras.

@Andrew

Everything nowadays needs a superlative. Films are all blockbusters, software is awesome, video gadgets are gamechangers. The FS-700 was a gamechanger, the BMCC was a gamechanger, the Speedbooster was a gamechanger.

For a, er, change I think it's good to stay cool. This is not cynism.

An improved steadicam, very highly priced. That's it.

I like it. I really want it. 

But am I actually handicapped without it? 

It looks pretty neat to me. I don't see it taking the place of a slider or anything but the smallest of jibs, but I'd take this over setting up a steadicam or laying dolly track any day. I don't think that the price is unreasonable. We grumble because at this price most of us won't be able to own one, but renting one won't be too painful either.

Actually, this time china was first (zenmuse)..
This is nothing more than customized cinestar gimbal with brushless motors and side handles.
Right now there's quite boom in rc multirotor industry, new brushless gimbals are produced everyday, just look at rcgrups and other rc forums and they all can be easily adopted to camera handheld work... price range will be from $60 for gorpo sized cameras to top $2000 for BMC size/weight.
Here is one of cheaper solutions, just add handles and you have moVI
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTIyNTg4NzAw.html

• Administrators

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the Zenmuse has accelerometers or the ability to do pans and tilts in the same way the MoVI does.

If a cheap DIY solution can be had for DSLR shooters then I am all for it but it has to perform and be made for the purpose.

Attaching a top handle to the quadrocopter gimbal is one thing... A purpose built system quite another.

This is not made for the purpose, it's made for quadrocopter and than just customized with booms and clamps for handheld use. Im am long time cinestar user...

All controlers for stabilisation have Mems Accelerometer, Mems Gyros,Magnetometer..etc (zenmuse, picloc, tarot,skyline, radian and you can look into new one cheapest, made just for brushless - alexmos)

MoVI do pans and tilt the same way as any other stabilized gimbal on the market that use 3 brushlees motors (roll, tilt and pan) and zenmuse does excatly the same thing... You can see on the clip that they are using rc station, they have not even made yet dedicated pan/tilt + speed potentiometer joystick and tht's easy thing to do, expecialy if you plan to charge it 15K...

Well I'm excited. Would be nice to hear about rental prices, but seeing as they're a small team they might not be able to supply houses enough. I'm also very excited to see this become a market breakthrough as far as price. We seen the steadicam go down in price when people started building alternatives to the big brands. I think this will happen here as well. Once it hits sub-$1000 the floodgates will open.

All controlers for stabilisation have Mems Accelerometer, Mems Gyros,Magnetometer..etc (zenmuse, picloc, tarot,skyline, radian and you can look into new one cheapest, made just for brushless - alexmos)

Thanks for the info Baltic! Though that one in the video you post sure looks (and sounds) crappy lol.

@ScreensPro ahh you beat me to that video post of the Zenmuse lol

Generally I agree with the naysayers on this, it was over exaggerated but I really really want to use one now lol!  It seems like it would make a great steadicam replacement but yes Axel we should do our best not to see this as a crutch. 

It appears to be so effective it allows you to pull of a tracking shot without a track, a pan / tilt without a tripod and a dolly shot without a dolly!

easy there tiger!  just look at the techniques from the video.  it's basically a newer alternative compact steadicam ala with improved mechanism influenced by gyro lift tech.  traditional filmming methods are protocol and standard.  if a director is visualizing a scene and wants a dolly the request is already justified.  it's not like a cable wrangler is going to yell out and say ''hey guys why don't you just use the steadicam with that 135mm for all angles...you're guaranteed to get absolutely solid horizontal track motion and the operator will never get tired because no tracks are required...''  then the gaffer yells ''shut up kid this isn't the movies''  :P

Thanks for the info Baltic! Though that one in the video you post sure looks (and sounds) crappy lol.

@ScreensPro ahh you beat me to that video post of the Zenmuse lol

Generally I agree with the naysayers on this, it was over exaggerated but I really really want to use one now lol!  It seems like it would make a great steadicam replacement but yes Axel we should do our best not to see this as a crutch. 

To me it looks better, because it's cnc engenired and mOVI is bunch of carbon booms and plastic clamps..

Im sure will seen one for $1000 or less in couple of months

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=839&productname=