Panasonic Teases New Compact Cinema Camera

Hanriverprod

2 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@webrunner5....the funniest thing for me personally, is that in all this excitement and waiting for the GH5 till June and now this new camera....my favorite image out of any camera available today is still a 1080p image out of the Sony F35...now if you want something that looks like film...that image is glorious IMO

Yes I Was going to add a F35, even a F65 in there for 9 grand and I thought nah, people Will think I am crazy. :grin: And I agree with you on that point.

I am just afraid if Panasonic does 9 grand they will fail. I just don't think the Industry considers Panny stuff high end, even though they have the Varicams. I know they have, had ENG cameras for years, mostly 1/2" sensor ones. To be honest the reason they were popular was they were cheaper than a Sony, not hard to believe LoL :grin: and they were, cheaper with lot more plastic compared to built like a tank Sony's. But you have to cut costs somewhere to compete. But they are great cameras for the money. They also came up with the the P2 media, which while expensive, no worse than others cost wise, was a great idea. It is basically a Raid System in a single slot using SD cards, for the people that don't know much about them.. :glasses: Great idea.

The Panasonic AG-HVX200 was really a groundbreaking camera for the average person. The first I think, real 24, 30, 1080p camcorder that a normal person could afford. It had both Mini DV, and P2 cars in it. Incredible stuff at the time. I loved mine. Just about wore it out. Panasonic has been a manufacturing great stuff, for real people, for a Long time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes I Was going to add a F35, even a F65 in there for 9 grand and I thought nah, people Will think I am crazy. :grin: And I agree with you on that point.

I am just afraid if Panasonic does 9 grand they will fail. I just don't think the Industry considers Panny stuff high end, even though they have the Varicams. I know they have, had ENG cameras for years, mostly 1/2" sensor ones. To be honest the reason they were popular was they were cheaper than a Sony, not hard to believe LoL :grin: and they were, cheaper with lot more plastic compared to built like a tank Sony's. But you have to cut costs somewhere to compete. But they are great cameras for the money. They also came up with the the P2 media, which while expensive, no worse than others cost wise, was a great idea. It is basically a Raid System in a single slot using SD cards, for the people that don't know much about them.. :glasses: Great idea.

Well you touch on another good point there in this mystery camera, which is a huge cost ignored until you own one and that is media...Panasonic claims it's affordable...my money would be on SSD in a body this size...Sandisk extreme pro is affordable, super fast and robust....and in a camera body this size, it would make sense..,especially in high bit rate or prores acquisition...RAW would be a nonstarter for them except to an external recorder...

32 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Well you touch on another good point there in this mystery camera, which is a huge cost ignored until you own one and that is media...Panasonic claims it's affordable...my money would be on SSD in a body this size...Sandisk extreme pro is affordable, super fast and robust....and in a camera body this size, it would make sense..,especially in high bit rate or prores acquisition...RAW would be a nonstarter for them except to an external recorder...

SSD's are great, but as you well know, all the big boys , Red in particular, brought out their own SSD's because the QC on the normal ones was all over the place. So I wonder now, in this day and age, are they reliable enough to buy off shelf?

32 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

SSD's are great, but as you well know, all the big boys , Red in particular, brought out their own SSD's because the QC on the normal ones was all over the place. So I wonder now, in this day and age, are they reliable enough to buy off shelf?

Their interest doesn't match, Don, that's the only reason for. It's a shame but it is what it is. Technology democratization didn't fulfill the full cup yet. Industry oblige.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I think not all memory cards are created equally just like there's a difference between say a Mercedes & a Fiat...I tend to only buy the Sandisk Extreme Pro series and have never had a failure of any kind on either their SD or SSD's..nor have I ever read of them failing someone else....but I have to say I prefer the sheer robustness of the 2.5 " SSD's, and of course their speed...I use to love the P2 cards by Panasonic too, but they were expensive!...of course if I bought a Varicam LT for a project, I would probably land up dumping some serious money on 4 P2 express cards, but then of course, the budget would be there...but Panasonic mentioning "affordable" media in their mystery cam, precluded the use of their P2express cards as a terrabytes worth would run you around $4800 which would hardly be affordable...that's why I think in a body big enough, the next default media may be SSD...I think RED just overcharged for their media...because...they're RED!

3 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

I think RED just overcharged for their media...because...they're RED!

I think Red sort of overcharges for Everything but the Brains they sell LoL. I guess as small of company they are they have to make money some place. But I believe their Brains are really not too far off the mark for the technology they R&R into them. For a little company they do come out with some amazing tech. Really more so than Sony, Canon when you think about it. Only Arri, and well Panavision who is really using Red stuff, but I give them credit for the relationship they have with Red, are making breakthrough stuff it seems to me.

Sony, Canon seem to have the tech at the start in a camera and just keep unlocking a little bit of it at a time, which Pisses me off big time, while Red, BM go balls to the wall at the roll out!

It seems to me that Red along with Blackmagic are the ones that are pushing space age stuff out the door, not the big boys like you would think. I am amazed what BM particularly brings out. Man I bet that is a fun place to work at. And Jannard at Red, well l know he is a nice person, and a real innovator. I bet not too many people know, but Jim Jannard was the founder, owner of Oakley Sunglasses. And he wanted a better video camera, and hell he started his own company Red, and made it happen. :astonished:

Boys and Girls, there is some NICE stuff out there now. Lucky times for us. Not many excuses to not make some quality footage anymore. Lets go for it! :glasses:

Yeah, it's like them printer manufacturers with their cardridges and toners. The printer is almost free, the cardridges/toners cost a fortune. It's usually cheaper to buy a new printer with a starter kit than original refills (seriously, that's what I used to do... though now I have a bit more advanced color laser printer fax wireless NFC thingamajig from Samsung). Luckily... like original batteries for camera equipment, there are some decent products from others on the market if you don't settle for the absolute cheapest but do a little research. For storage for the new Panasonic, like I mentioned, it would be cool if they did the mSATA USB thumbdrive thing that Videodevices does for the PIX-E5.

For out-and-about storage I was thinking btw of the Samsung Portable SSD T3, but seems the WD/Western Digital all new My Passport SSD USB-C 3.1 should be shipping out very soon. I like how compact and fast these puppies are.

17 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, it's like them printer manufacturers with their cardridges and toners. The printer is almost free, the cardridges/toners cost a fortune. It's usually cheaper to buy a new printer with a starter kit than original refills (seriously, that's what I used to do... though now I have a bit more advanced color laser printer fax wireless NFC thingamajig from Samsung). Luckily... like original batteries for camera equipment, there are some decent products from others on the market if you don't settle for the absolute cheapest but do a little research.

I gave up buying aftermarket Batteries for Video Cameras. They Never seem to be as good or last as long. I know they are Serious money but...

Yeah lower end printers are cheaper to just throw them away and buy a new one!  :grimace:

What is this "thingamajig from Samsung" you are talking about?? :confused: You are not talking about one of those damn Fax, plus ten other feature things I hope!! :frown: Say it ain't so!

Unfortunately yeah, just some multifunction all-in-one scanner & color laser printer, fax. It's not that great though, I thought it would be a fun project to print my own businesscards or photos even, but it doesn't handle the more thick high quality paper very well at all, so that was a bummer. Otherwise it's pretty sweet, though I do have a feeling the chip has like a expiry date configured into it and the printer says it will be running out of toner eventhough a particular color hardly ever been used... also, you have to change the color toner if they're out before you can continue printing B&W which would be readily availlable. That's some bullshit. They really like to screw you sideways like that. So yeah, next time no more somewhat expensive Samsung either (I had an Epson Color laser printer before it, it was basic, but atleast it was great at printing; I kinda hate inkjet, because the cardridges dry out quickly, yet the ink smudges on & warps paper).

After almost frying my GH2 with the cheapest Chinese import (DSTE) batteries I could find... I swore that shit off. I'm currently very content with Patona, a European brand. Atleast someone that should adhere to European imposed quality standards and someone to hold accountable if things go south. Another one that's alright is Chili Power. Heard decent things about EX-PRO or something as well, not familiar with though. For action cams I use the stuff from Telesin. They have an official store on AE: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/630476 . Good for your GoPro and YI action cam accessories. Yeah, they might be Chinese, but I have experience with them and they might sell OEM stuff, because you can hardly tell a difference with their accessories and the official thing, where other knock-offs really fall short.

ntblowz had posted that image on page 2 of this topic already, but it's neat to have somekind of idea going on there!

Sigma already has M4/3 Art lenses, the 19, 30 & 60mm f/2.8 DN A: http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_19_28/ .

This however seems to be the fullframe 24-35mm f/2: http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_24_35_2/ . Without a modded mount. So either the mount is fixed EF. EF speedboosted or hot-swappable with other mount plates.

36 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Why does it say "Sigma Art Logo" on the lens?

Those are little 'explanatory notes' because the actual image is sorta unreadable, just highlighting some features or things that can be taken from the picture. Unfortunately they've compressed it almost as much as the original. xD

29 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Wait that's actually a full frame lens? What can that mean? So it's definitely an ef mount?

Probably a rendering at this stage, so I would'nt presume anything, except even if the mount was m4/3 on a s35 sensor, Panasonic would still choose a physically large lens to display on there, to perpetuate the Cine Camera concept...m4/3 lenses would be the wrong "look"....too diminutive...the mount also appears to be "locking" which would definitely be a plus...I also doubt strongly that the actual camera is sitting under glass and under the veil...could be a clay prototype shape that's painted...but what I can tell you what it definitely IS....it's a great bit of marketing, as was the early 4 spec release on the GH5....and why not....I preordered on the GH 5 before the first round of cameras went out in the US and mine has'nt even shipped yet...and now...we are all buzzing about what this Cine Camera is going to be....LOL...maybe Panny will incorporate the best ideas on all the various forums posted by members that are reasonable in terms of cost and current technology, and everybody will say in June that Panny really listens to their customers??

1 hour ago, Hanriverprod said:

Wait that's actually a full frame lens? What can that mean? So it's definitely an ef mount?

A fullframe lens covers a fullframe 35mm sensor with the image circle it gives off (APS-C/MFT would vignette on FF). Why put it on there? Like I said:

On 24-4-2017 at 4:29 PM, Cinegain said:

They are trying to say 'look how small the camera is in relation to the lens'. The bigger the lens, the smaller the camera seems to be.

It probably is an EF mount, not definitely, but I would say highly likely so. Wouldn't be a fullframe sensor, though. The Panasonic Varicam LT has both EF and PL-mount options, has a S35 sensor. It's the industry standard for this type of production camera. A shallower mount however, like MFT or Sony FZ/E-mount would be more flexible, something I mentioned earlier as well. It would allow for the most adapting flexibility... and most importantly, it would allow for fullframe lenses to be squished onto the S35 sensor when using focal reducers... something you can't do for example with that Sigma Art 24-35mm f/2 lens on an EF-mount. Because there's no such thing as an EF to EF focal reducer (yet?).