Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

Have a question here : is it, or is it NOT possible to have 10bits and 4k60p on a full frame body as tiny as A7s2?

I am looking forward, like many on this forum, for the next gen a7s but it seams like tech is not there yet to have this on board and i think it would be a bummer not having this.

Nikon doesn't have it internally and as much as i like nikon colors and bodies, i can't get over it. Now my hope relies on Sony. Just don't want to be disappointed. I am waiting for 2 years now to upgrade mu NX1 body and i couldn't find anything to worth it. I just love NX1 but i need better low light, and 60p. With the firmware and the native support for h.265 the codec on nx1 still holds up good enough. Can't say the same for the a7s2 codec.

Anyways, Photokina is only a month ago and i hope a7s3 will be presented there. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I work on a custom tower, so laptop comparisons don't apply to me at all. Plus I vastly prefer the functionality and UI of Windows; there's no way I'm switching to a new NLE just for ProRes RAW, let alone a new OS .

It’s not about laptop. It’s about FCPX being incredibly faster than première in general. 

15 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

It’s not about laptop. It’s about FCPX being incredibly faster than première in general. 

You mean people actually Still use an Adobe product!! I think Premier will pretty much always be behind performance wise. The coding was done years ago in a different world then, and there is no way they can, or will re write all new code for modern computer configs. Sure they tweak it, but that is about all they can do. But it still is a viable product if you can stand the cost every month.

But I agree with @wolf33d.  I am concerned about ProRes Raw also being only usable in FCPX. I too am not going to buy a high dollar Apple, or learn FCPX just to do one damn flavor of ProRes. That is crazy. SO I guess I will never use it even if it is the next greatest thing since sliced bread. ?

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, Robert Collins said:

I dont agree. We have been through all this with stills. JPEG is a universal open format that everyone uses - I doubt we would use it, if it was a format licensed from Canon. DNG is a 'raw format' that Adobe claims is 'open' but as it owns it, it hasnt received widespread adoption apart from in Adobe products in the last 10 years.

Inherently a raw video format doesnt have any need of ownership/patents because it is simply a format for 'raw data' coming off the sensor. It is not trying to cure cancer. And conceptually making 'raw' proprietary is an 'oxymoron' rather like paying a clothes company for the privilege of walking around in the raw.

If you think that paying a company for the privilege of taking 'raw' data off a sensor is a workable concept then I just think you are being heroically optimistic. Of course, Apple would presumably argue that 'prores raw' isnt actually 'raw' but is 'doctored raw' which is fine apart from the fact they are misrepresenting what they are selling in the first place.

BTW can we have a source for the '80% of productions currently record in prores'?

An open format does not mean it is free, all it means is that licences are granted automatically rather than through negotiation. You still need to pay royalties if you use it In your product.

4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Can he run FCPX on his custom tower? Probably not.

The performance that counts is the performance you get on optimized hardware. FCPX has probably been written specifically to best utilize the features on specific computers, whereas the Adobe product has not. But that is probably going to change when you get to make custom hardware that Adobe CAN run on, but FCPX cant.

Several competing camera manufacturers have already enabled ProRes RAW - Canon, Sony and Panasonic - as well as DJI. ProRes is ubiquitous, ProRes RAW will be too.

Most of the major players have a tight working relationship with Atomos, and if they helped create N log for Nikon, I don’t see why they wouldn’t work with Sony on ProRes RAW for the a7s III. Though 10-bit S log is a more likely scenario. And BMD have not yet ruled out ProRes RAW for the Pocket 4K.

Watch video, start 8 min.

Canon, Sony & Panasonic haven't enabled anything. Again Atomos just uses the raw SDI outputs of those cameras (FS700, FS5/7, C300/500, EVA1..) and encodes to ProRes Raw. BMD cams haven't really been supported by Atomos recorders period up till now i suspect as they offer competing recorders, but i could see that changing.

2 minutes ago, Django said:

BMD cams haven't really been supported by Atomos recorders period up till now i suspect as they offer competing recorders, but i could see that changing.

Also, what would recording to an Atomos provide that you can't do in camera with BMD? (aside from ProRes RAW for the time being)

I suppose you could record at a lower resolution for distribution, while keeping the 4K originals for archive... 

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Uh...I use Resolve. That was the entire point of the post you originally quoted.

Also much faster than resolve, that was the entire point of the video I posted :)

But anyway use the program you want no pbm. Personally I have used Premiere, Resolve and FCPX I am not closed to one program and stay open of new things and am ready to change if something is considerably better. 

WOOOW

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-a7siii-to-be-announced-at-ibc-2018-on-sept-14/

We all know this site is BS but please make this real. 
"Very likely:
– New 5.6 million dot EVF
– 4k60p
– 10 bit 4:2:2 external (not internal!)
– new color science
– dual SD card slot, Z-battery, chunkier grip

Unconfirmed:
– New 24 Megapixel Quad pixel sensor"

Again, WOOW. 24mpx 4K60P with FS5II color science +5.6M dot EVF + all A7RIII improvements (including AF, battery...) + 10 bit external (well nice to have but not for me this one) is a dream come true.... The 24mpx means I do not need a A7III for stills, and it means 1.5x crop video mode with 1 button. MAKE THIS REAL.
It will be 3000/3200 like the previous one for sure but fuck that, happily paying 1K more for an A7III with better color, 4K60P, 10bit external, and better EVF. Hopefully 240fps FHD too... 

Come on Sony do not disappoint. 

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Again, WOOW. 24mpx 4K60P with FS5II color science +5.6M dot EVF + all A7RIII improvements (including AF, battery...) + 10 bit external (well nice to have but not for me this one) is a dream come true.... The 24mpx means I do not need a A7III for stills, and it means 1.5x crop video mode with 1 button. MAKE THIS REAL.
It will be 3000/3200 like the previous one for sure but fuck that, happily paying 1K more for an A7III with better color, 4K60P, 10bit external, and better EVF. Hopefully 240fps FHD too... 

Come on Sony do not disappoint. 

I think the price might well be US$4000+ A fairly consistent rumor is that the sensor will be BSI stacked sensor like the one on the A9 (and Venice I think). This would mean (virtually) no rolling shutter. It is very advanced tech and presumably very expensive....

39 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I think the price might well be US$4000+ A fairly consistent rumor is that the sensor will be BSI stacked sensor like the one on the A9 (and Venice I think). This would mean (virtually) no rolling shutter. It is very advanced tech and presumably very expensive....

In this case they will call it A9S. Either it is an A7S III and they have to be in the ballpark, or they change the name. If it is 4500$ like the A9 screw it. No way I pay this to have the A7SIII 6 months later with all same features for 3000 (just like the A7III vs A9).... 

But I think the A9 was a complete disaster for Sony in sales, so hopefully they do not repeat. 

3000$, like the A7SII sounds fair. 1000$ more than A7III, yet good enough features to justify. 4500 is not reasonable