My predictions for the a7siii 

1. 8-bit 4-2-2 internal.

2. No 30 min recording limit.

3. 18MP sensor.

4. Better EVF.

5. Venice Colour Science.

6. Higher bitrate option for video.

7. Better Menu layout. 

Though there is a likelihood that ONLY 2-3 of these will make it to the final product. And most likely the least radical ones. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, sanveer said:

My predictions for the a7siii 

1. 8-bit 4-2-2 internal.

2. No 30 min recording limit.

3. 18MP sensor.

4. Better EVF.

5. Venice Colour Science.

6. Higher bitrate option for video.

7. Better Menu layout. 

Though there is a likelihood that ONLY 2-3 of these will make it to the final product. And most likely the least radical ones. 

5 and 7 only practical ones imo 

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

5 and 7 only practical ones imo 

Yeah and # 2 Just use the hack for the Sony cameras. I can get over 13 hours in 1080p @ 24p on my 64gb card using the hack. The limit is the least of the problems on Sony cameras now.

8 hours ago, sanveer said:

3. 18MP sensor.

Very unlikely.  The whole selling point of the A7S line was video, and having less MP meant larger photo sites and thus better low light performance.  If they increased the MP count then they'd either just crop into the sensor (18MP is about 5K for video) or they'd have to downscale, which would add more processor requirement and more heat, which is the LAST thing that camera needs!  

If they did do that and implemented a thermal solution then they'd have taken a step to turning it into a cinema camera as no doubt they'd use the processors from their cinema line.

I suppose they could just output 5K video, leaving people to deal with it in post, but that is so far away from the way the industry works I cannot even imagine it (although it would be a selling point for some, it would blow up YT with other people whose tiny little minds had been shattered!)

10 hours ago, sanveer said:

Though there is a likelihood that ONLY 2-3 of these will make it to the final product. And most likely the least radical ones

Clarification. I didn't mean point no 2 and 3. Only 2 or 3 random points out of these 7. ?

I'm starting to think that the only way 4k60 could happen on the A7SIII is if they switch to H265.  Roughly half the file size (or double the compression ratio) for the same quality.  If they can get the BIONZ XI processor or whatever the A7III will use to do H265 4K encoding with around the same thermal profile as it did encoding H264 4K then in theory we could see 4K60 at Sony's favorite bitrate of 100Mbps (as much as we would all love to get higher bitrates).

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Doesn't h.265 require even more processing power than h.264? 

Yeap, it does:

"An improved CTU segmentation, as well as a better motion compensation and spatial prediction require much more signal processing capability for video compression, but has a significantly less impact on the amount of computation needed for decompression."

So its better for editing but for recording its even more power hungry. I guess thats why we still dont see it on GH5, who has the best processor and a hit pipe through all of them. So I would not expect h.265 considering that even for 4k30p on A73 needs a crop. Sadly I expect the will continue that low megapixel trend which nobody really needs at this point. I would much prefer A7S3 to have the same sensor as A73, but other features, like:

- flip out screen

- build in variable ND

- modern menus with touch support

- better IBIS

- higher fps both for 4k and FHD

Could not care about another low light sensor less. 

• Super Members
17 hours ago, sanveer said:

7. Better Menu layout. 

Its almost like the terrible menu system has become part of their brand DNA though isn't it?

One of the most elegant menu systems around is from the Leica T and I've grafted it on to this picture of an A7Riii to show how much more simple Sony could make it if they followed that lead.

LeicaSony.jpg.c23dd98c6d5558ea599064ffb744af8e.jpg

The cameras prior to the A7xIII series that could be hacked through PlayMemories could have custom Android applications put on to them. I know there are a few kicking around that people created to do time lapse and I think a focus stack one but it would be great if it were possible for someone to do a re-skin of the UI to make it look like the Leica T.

Because I think Sony are just going to keep coming up with the same interface but even clunkier as they ram more features in.

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

To be fair, with my menu & the ability to customize practically every button and dial, there’s almost no reason to go hunting for items in the menu any longer. 

I don't disagree but its the initial bonding though that is a big struggle or at least was/is for me.

Its not so much that there are so many options (although that does mean a lot of hoops to jump through to reach a simple C1 and C2 that you can actually commit to ;) ) but that they all seem to interact with each other in non intuitive ways. I am forever trying to do something and it invoking the "Oh no, not in this mode you don't " pop up.

I'm guilty of not really sitting down with a manual and dedicating the real amount of time to it so I should probably quit whining about it until I have.

This is pretty much how I've looked when searching for settings thus far

ezgif.com-optimize.gif.30913c6d1a3810203c44275b961feb7c.gif

• Administrators

The Leica T touch screen interface is a breath of fresh air. You instantly see the current settings and tap to change any of them, without tapping a d-pad endlessly through a long list.

There's also still a latency to the Sony UI that is completely unacceptable in 2018. As if it is running on a slow processor, or with a lot of background tasks.

The bottom line is, Sony should have fired their UX team a long time ago.

The HFR mode (esp. on the RX100 M6) is another example of why they should all be fired.

The standby mode is unnecessary, first of all, if you are triggering the shot the normal way start/stop on the record button. Also it's not clear enough when you are in standby mode, yet there is text all over the screen and any half brush of a control brings up a prompt telling you to exit standby mode... so you press the key to exit but that just dismisses the prompt... So you think you've existed and start adjusting the zoom, exposure or whatever, and it just comes up with the shitty prompt again, like an endless loop of frustration. That would be a sackable offence at any of the other major companies in their user interface teams.

If you look back to the Sony A900 the menus were fine. Simple, logically laid out and clean looking.

Maybe they should not have replaced all those Minolta engineers who understood photography, with people from the thermostat division.

To scotchtape:

I'm in the real world, where I'm happy with the camera I chose and stick with it. I mentioned a few improvements I would like for the a7s iii but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy it right away. Perfectly happy with the a7s ii.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe they should not have replaced all those Minolta engineers who understood photography, with people from the thermostat division.

They needed all that thermostat expertise to develop a way to turn the cameras off when they overheated though ;) 

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The HFR mode (esp. on the RX100 M6) is another example of why they should all be fired.

The standby mode is unnecessary, first of all, if you are triggering the shot the normal way start/stop on the record button. Also it's not clear enough when you are in standby mode, yet there is text all over the screen and any half brush of a control brings up a prompt telling you to exit standby mode... so you press the key to exit but that just dismisses the prompt... So you think you've existed and start adjusting the zoom, exposure or whatever, and it just comes up with the shitty prompt again, like an endless loop of frustration. That would be a sackable offence at any of the other major companies in their user interface teams.

This totally gets on my tits as well.

Slow motion describes both the shooting effect and the way in which you have to set it up !

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

Wait, who said no 4K60fps in this thread ? Lol. 

As for CDAF no way. Are you serious!? It’s got to be the A7III kind of AF. It’s actually gonna be the main advantage over the GH5. 

Man either You are undercover Sony agent or shareholders or fanatics, reading you post always amuse me lol

Anyway I predict a7s3 coming autumn 18 in that thread, I wonder if that still holds or get pushed for winter release