Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

42 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Well one of the reasons I say that is that Sony manufactures batches off the same assembly line. The A7iii will be its best selling camera so they will run a long batch. I dont think they will have the time to release the A7siii at NAB in early April.

I do not see the issue. If they plan well no pbm.

worst case they can announce it with a shipping date 2-3 month later

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
48 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I do not see the issue. If they plan well no pbm.

worst case they can announce it with a shipping date 2-3 month later

Yes sure, you may well be right. I am merely speculating along with everyone else.

I think expectations are high - almost like a GH5 specs with a sensor 4 times the size. And given the problems that Sony have had with overheating (and also Fuji specs or Canon specs) I am just not sure that's possible.

The A7iii already brings substantial improvements over the A7sii in areas such as af (and maybe matching lowlight) at significantly lower price point. Sony has already exceeded expectations with the A9, A7riii and A7iii and I just feel if it cant produce a home run with the A7siii it wont materialise anytime soon.

I'd say this would be the most expected scenario: for the A7SIII.

• Higher megapixel sensor. 
  • 4k 50/60 8 bit 4:2:2 at best, still using XAVC-S.
  • 4D Focus like the A7III, A9, A7R III. 
  • 120fps in HD with no crop. 
  • Updated body design. 
  • Hybrid Log Gamma. 

A potential surprise they could throw in is 4k 10 bit out to an external recorder - I highly doubt this would be internal if it was to be an option given that the FS5 is crippled for 4k, and shows no sign of being replaced any time soon. 

The bodies are identical (other than the logo), the only difference would be the sensor and possibly a new processor. They would not need a completely new supply line. All they would need to do is switch the sensor being fed into the assembly line. It is not that hard. Just use a different box to feed components from.

the release time seems right though, they have already 2 new A7 cameras. Let's let the dust settle a bit they can "hit" later on. The two aforementioned Sony's are very good for hybrid shooters, as they are. They have to put some special awesome sauce for us!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like a low megapixel sensor and no 10bit:

– Fs series suffer from the success of A7 series (30% of the pro market)S
– They can’t implement 10bits 4k in FS5II because this needs to much power consumption, it is not a marketing choice.A
– 10 bits 4k will be for the next FS generation R
– A7sIII is coming soon, but it’s the most hiden secret, even in internal Sony teams
– A7sIII will keep the same “identity”: low resolution sensor and extreme low light capabilities. Usuable High ISO are more important than oversampling.

• 3 weeks later...

Where the hell is this camera???

GH5 is already old. BM 4K is coming. A7III is back in stock. What are they waiting? 

The only mirrorless/dslr 4K60p camera on the market with a good video AF is the 1DXII and it's expensive, big heavy as hell and boring. 

Sony, I am waiting a 4K60p A7S with 18mpx sensor (to allow film in crop mode and decent stills) and a7iii AF. 10 bit, FS5mk2 color science and H.265 would be nice. 

Gimme ProRes Raw and 240fps FHD and i'll pay 5K.Yep won't happen I know. 

6 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Where the hell is this camera???

GH5 is already old. BM 4K is coming. A7III is back in stock. What are they waiting? 

The only mirrorless/dslr 4K60p camera on the market with a good video AF is the 1DXII and it's expensive, big heavy as hell and boring. 

Sony, I am waiting a 4K60p A7S with 18mpx sensor (to allow film in crop mode and decent stills) and a7iii AF. 10 bit, FS5mk2 color science and H.265 would be nice. 

Gimme ProRes Raw and 240fps FHD and i'll pay 5K.Yep won't happen I know. 

I am not even interested in the A7S III at this point anymore.

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

I am not even interested in the A7S III at this point anymore.

Well if it is just a small upgrade I can agree with you. But Maybe, just Maybe Sony is going to make this thing a camera you just can't pass on. It might make be pretty unbelievable. But It also might cost a ton of money also, Gulp.

I am not sure how / why they'd put 4K 60p internal into the A7S III when they didn't / couldn't with the FS5 II. Same with 10 bit. 

The A7 III really makes this a head scratcher, in terms of what they can pull out of their hat. I'm guessing that's the delay; one, letting the A7 III sell a ton and two, putting in the extra development time to make it a worthwhile successor. They have to have SOMETHING planned. But what? Some of these ideas people are throwing around  sound too fanciful / unrealistic, but at the same time, what else could justify the increase in cost that will inevitably come with it? Improved battery life, less overheating, better colors, and even better low light isn't going to be enough I don't think. The A7 III has made it so that the it's going to need SOMETHING big. 

I have said it before, but they might abandon the A7S line and introduce the A9S - it would mean they can put in lots of extra goodies compared to the A7III but can also charge for them as well.  Every camera line goes EOL at some point.

We seem to be saying "how can they possibly improve their tiny mirrorless line without cannibalising their cinema line" quite a lot.  Surely there are reasons that people would prefer a camera the size of an FS5, VENICE, C200, etc over a FF DSLR sized body?  Even just ergonomics?

If they can figure out what the value a larger body has then maybe that's the solution to overlapping their cinema lines.  Thermal management sure is one thing that currently differentiates them, although the XC10 proved it doesn't require much size to implement it.

1 hour ago, kye said:

I have said it before, but they might abandon the A7S line and introduce the A9S - it would mean they can put in lots of extra goodies compared to the A7III but can also charge for them as well.  Every camera line goes EOL at some point.

We seem to be saying "how can they possibly improve their tiny mirrorless line without cannibalising their cinema line" quite a lot.  Surely there are reasons that people would prefer a camera the size of an FS5, VENICE, C200, etc over a FF DSLR sized body?  Even just ergonomics?

If they can figure out what the value a larger body has then maybe that's the solution to overlapping their cinema lines.  Thermal management sure is one thing that currently differentiates them, although the XC10 proved it doesn't require much size to implement it.

But the video Don Kotlos shared says they’re working on the a7s III...  ?