Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

Ok but this means nothing in terms of actual sales.

The top 10 on b&h shows 8 DSLRs and two compacts.

On Amazon under "Photo/Video" its still of course film (instax, keeps Fuji afloat) on almost all top spots. First digital interchangeable lens camera is a DSLR.

If I look at "digital cameras" on Amazon its mostly DSLRs and compacts in the top 50.

When I look at one of swedens bigger retailers the GH5 isnt on the list. And its not a price thing. There are several higher priced cameras at the top.

The guy at my local store says Fuji is selling nicely. Not like Canikon but still alot. Panasonic isn't as popular. And sadly Olympus is a tough sales for them.

Ive never seen a GH5 used by a video crew, TV-team, pro photographer or even by a tourist.

So saying that the GH5 is cutting sales from dedicated video cameras like the c100, FS7, etc doesn't ring true to me.

In fact, when reading Sony and Panasonics financial reports its pretty obvious they are loosing money on their cameras. If they where selling like hot cakes they might have broken even. Fuji isn't making much either since their film sales finance their digital camera losses.

But rumors says that Sony is releasing their first proper and uncensored financial report next year. Then we will know if they are doing better these days.

My guess is that they still loose money on every mirrorless interchangeable lens camera they sell.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
53 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Also, I remember when I was at NAB was when Casey Neistat announced that he was shooting his vlogs on the GH5. The Panasonic rep told me that the amazon orders went up 20% within those 24hrs when Casey announced that.

I'm not surprised at all by that spike.

18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If I look at "digital cameras" on Amazon its mostly DSLRs and compacts in the top 50.

You can ignore compacts completely, the market is almost vanished for many people (super zooms and 1" compacts being the two exceptions which are holding out, for now. & perhaps action cameras, but GoPro is struggling), and DSLRs are on their way out..... then mirrorless is all that will remain (not now, not just yet, but in the years to come). And currently Canikon are not even anywhere in the top twenty: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/3109924011/

18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The top 10 on b&h shows 8 DSLRs and two compacts.

Where are you looking? I see the Panasonic GH5 at #2, right behind the 5Dmk4 and above the very hot new D850.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Cameras/ci/9811/N/4288586282

• Super Members

My point is what you have seen, what I have seen and what some dude in a NAB cafeteria says isnt in line with the financial state of the companies.

In other words, debating on speculation and feelings is pointless.

You just confirmed my point even more by saying you've seen it beeing used. Proving my point that a local observation in one place or one online store isnt evidence enough. It varies to much from place to place.

Money talks.

48 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Where are you looking? I see the Panasonic GH5 at #2, right behind the 5Dmk4 and above the very hot new D850.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Cameras/ci/9811/N/4288586282

No it isn't, look again.

If I follow your link and click sort by best sellers the GH5 isnt #2 :)

I was looking here.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Hot-Items-Top-Sellers/ci/19207/N/4102783799

There is something very very strange going on here.... I got my link by sorting for best sellers. And when I click my link it says it is sorted for best sellers. 

But then when I reselect "best sellers" it strangely decides to resort itself! Pushing D850 to the top, and now GH5 has dropped to 3rd (but above the 5Dmk4!). 

As for your link, that is not "best sellers" but "top sellers"... whatever that means, and who knows the differences?! (how do you even arrive at your link in the first place?)

Here in the Mediterranean I did the same observations as NZ!

We just finished shooting an on the road TV show for the most prominent network here in souther Europe with 2 GH5s and right now, I have more GH5s around me, than Canon (this is the first, ever, since the 5DmkII era). So many, that I bought my Edelkrone SurfaceONE and SliderONE motion module with the GH5 cable (sadly, no NX). 

There is a big waiting list here for GH5 and even the XLR thingy that we have ordered for months now, ain't available in my country yet.

Real life observations show a trend for sure. Maybe your market is completely different, but all indications show that GH5 is a huge success so far, and honestly, what not to love? A couple of ergonomic mistakes, when Sony is full of them, and a slightly confusing menu system (my NXes have spoilt me!), when again, Sony is a total nightmare, on everything else, GH5 delivers.

As of tourists, we have a lot of Asian tourists, and I was doing camera (C300mkII PL) for a Ancient Greek philosophy documentary these days (so being around all the touristicy places), and most of them had mobile phones on selfie sticks, a few "older" men with Canonikon dSLRs, and a few hipsters with Olympus. Most other tourists from other countries are carrying their phones, a few older dSLRs here and there, a few rare and random selection of mirrorless (a5100, a6000, an NX 300, others), and we had like 30.000.000 this year, and because of my work I travel a lot around, so I got an international sense of things. So, no seeing a lot of GH5s among tourists is less an indication, than my pro friends that are moving to Panny after decades of Sony and Canon.

It is a weird thing of curiosity of me when I spot a shoot using a Canon 5Dmk4! (which surprisingly I have spotted maybe two or three times in the last couple of months?! But in the couple of months before then? Nothing)

Very normal however to see a Sony or Panasonic mirrorless being used. 

(random side note: Heh, a couple of weeks ago I saw a professional shoot using a 5Dmk4 with a 5Dmk2 as B cam! wtf)

Won't see the a7S mk3 until 2018.

And by that point, Panasonic will only be another year away from releasing the GH6? Oh heck, Panasonic might even have released a G90 by the time the a7S mk3 comes out! (and the G90 might very well be a decent competitive alternative at a third of the cost!!)

13 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

so, again, no A7s mark3 :( wonder how much do we have to wait for it to come.

A7r mark3 is here and looks promising but hardly an a7s 2 replacement for video.

what do you say?

It's only a promising upgrade for photography, but not impressive for the video side of things. This will certainly lead people towards the upcoming the A7SIII if it delivers. IF not, then might have to look elsewhere. We will have to wait and see. 

NAB 2018 is too late. They need to compete with PANA. 
My prediction is A7SIII will get same improvements as A7RIII: dual slot, battery, good AF, ...  + 4K60P + 10 bit. 
In which case I would rather get it than the GH5. 

The PDAF from the A9 for video + GH5 video specs + Full Frame is absolute winner for me. Paired with A7RIII for photography and you are all set. 

42 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

NAB 2018 is too late. They need to compete with PANA. 
My prediction is A7SIII will get same improvements as A7RIII: dual slot, battery, good AF, ...  + 4K60P + 10 bit. 
In which case I would rather get it than the GH5. 

The PDAF from the A9 for video + GH5 video specs + Full Frame is absolute winner for me. Paired with A7RIII for photography and you are all set. 

I agree with all that but we don’t have any real clue on when it’ll come out. NAB 2018 makes sense. Or CES 2018. Idk

46 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I agree with all that but we don’t have any real clue on when it’ll come out. NAB 2018 makes sense. Or CES 2018. Idk

Clearly, but I would be surprised that we have to wait till April. NAB is clearly the latest that it is gonna be announced. 

5 hours ago, wolf33d said:

.. Paired with A7RIII for photography and you are all set. 

All set for what? this is 7000euros between 2 mirrorless cameras. With lenses, one needs 14.000 in total for a whole set of Sony equipment for photo and video.

I think I will skip that and stay for another couple of years with my NX1 and 8 lenses that cost less than half of 4 Sony lenses, 28mgpxls photography is good for most jobs anyway, and I can save some weight and size in my bag with my crop lenses and bodies.

Also, we don't know the S's specs yet.