Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 13/10/2017 at 11:20 PM, noone said:

New day, searching again.

Australia only sold items "sony a7s" lowest price first (Australian dollars which vary with dates sold against other currencies).

A7s body only $1300,

A7s original packing $1475

A7s with cage AC power batteries $1500

Sony A7s with Cage  AC Power  Canon power  m42 and nikon adapters, batteries $1550

Very low shutter count A7s body only $1560

A7s body only $1600

A7s brand new $2037.30

A7s brand new $2099

A7s new $2688.85

A7s body only $2750 (this was used!!!) The first A7s ii was used at $2600.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=sony+a7s&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&_dmd=1

Australia only sold items "Canon 5d iii" lowest price first ETC.

5diii   body only $1276

5diii body only $1450

5diii body only $1500

5diii body only $1501

5diii body only $1550

5diii body only and accessories $1602

5Diii body only $1605.92

Then there are another eight under $1700, another eight 17-1799,  and about thirty more up to $2000.     The first new ones was sold at $2350 (two separate listings) and the dearest new body only sold was $3299 (sold last month).

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sop=2&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Canon+5d+iii&LH_PrefLoc=1&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

Those are actual sold cameras.    All the listing I could see for the A7s and all the listings up to the 1605.92 one.

boyos, the truth is that mk3 holds the value incredibly well, brb it's like 6year old camera  that you can still sell for more than 60% of new price, tour over for sony fanboys. Brb a7s mk2 looses 50% of value in 6months ...  I bought mk3 with 21-105L for 2440 in 2015, lens sold for 450. brb paid 2k for new one, brb can easily sell in germany for 1600-1700 now (not that I will ever do, u aware on 14bit raw video with motion cadenco of goods and color science only rivaled by leica) gh15 approved 

8 hours ago, satoshi said:

boyos, the truth is that mk3 holds the value incredibly well, brb it's like 6year old camera  that you can still sell for more than 60% of new price, tour over for sony fanboys. Brb a7s mk2 looses 50% of value in 6months ...  I bought mk3 with 21-105L for 2440 in 2015, lens sold for 450. brb paid 2k for new one, brb can easily sell in germany for 1600-1700 now (not that I will ever do, u aware on 14bit raw video with motion cadenco of goods and color science only rivaled by leica) gh15 approved 

From the figures here on Ebay at least, no.

The 5Diii was dearer to start and cam be found cheaper often enough.

I am hardly a Sony fanboy (I use what camera suits me regardless of who makes it and the A7s just happens to be the camera I have liked the most ever for what I shoot though my favourite lens is a Canon that costs more than the camera, I am done with DSLRs though except for just playing around ).

Those are actual sold cameras and here at least, the 5Diii is doing ok but no better than the A7s.      Someone recently paid over $3000 for a new 5diii and someone else paid about a $1000 less for a new one, the same sort of thing applies to the A7s and the thing that stands out to me is just how little demand there is for ANY of these cameras so the price may be more down to demand on the day than anything (IE if there are two cameras and three people want them, the seller will do well but if there are ten cameras and only nine want them they will not do so well.

30 minutes ago, noone said:

From the figures here on Ebay at least, no.

The 5Diii was dearer to start and cam be found cheaper often enough.

I am hardly a Sony fanboy (I use what camera suits me regardless of who makes it and the A7s just happens to be the camera I have liked the most ever for what I shoot though my favourite lens is a Canon that costs more than the camera, I am done with DSLRs though except for just playing around ).

Those are actual sold cameras and here at least, the 5Diii is doing ok but no better than the A7s.      Someone recently paid over $3000 for a new 5diii and someone else paid about a $1000 less for a new one, the same sort of thing applies to the A7s and the thing that stands out to me is just how little demand there is for ANY of these cameras so the price may be more down to demand on the day than anything (IE if there are two cameras and three people want them, the seller will do well but if there are ten cameras and only nine want them they will not do so well.

which lens is it ?  examples of acceptable looking footage from a7s (coz i never seen good colors from it)?

CTB APPROVED

8 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

coming back on topic, i know it sounds silly but if they can pack 10 bits and log in a mobile phone camera i cannot imagine an a7s 3 wihout 10 bits and a good codec.

i really have high expectations for tomorrow:

Yeah so apparently this new camera was a new camcorder of interest to absolutely no-one. Sorry. SonyAlphaRumours still maintains that the A7SIII is coming very soon, but all those who said these rumor websites are probably garbage are right.

Also you can get really great colours out of the Sony A7SII very easily. I thought this was well known by now. 

7 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Yeah so apparently this new camera was a new camcorder of interest to absolutely no-one. Sorry. SonyAlphaRumours still maintains that the A7SIII is coming very soon, but all those who said these rumor websites are probably garbage are right.

Also you can get really great colours out of the Sony A7SII very easily. I thought this was well known by now. 

great colors from Sony A7 series ? u wat mate???? f35, f55 sure but everything else is a fiasco - including  fs5 fs7 f700 oh boy, Master Andrew did great job with his colors for sony cams, but they are what they are, perhaps good for zombie movie or BW...

CTB APPROVED

Errr.... but why buy a Canon at all?!?!

You can look at Expired Listings on TradeMe to get a rough general feel for market values. 

I never looked at Canon before so don't really know their value. 

Where do you live in NZ?

Auckland

What gear do you currently have, and what do you use it for?

Panasonic GH5, use it for video of course (also got job doing full time video production, they use canon cinema cameras)

Yeah FS5 and A7S color is not that great( I had them both), A6300 and A7RII I used to have definitely have improved colour scene.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:14 PM, thefactory said:

There has been a little panic selling here. I picked up a 6 months old A7rii for $2100 AU (about 1650 USD). Came with the receipt and he paid $3800. Asked him why so cheap. He said he did not want to get stuck with it when the new model comes out. I said, thank you very much. 

Oh the poor fools! They must lose a lot if they're doing this over and over. 

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Auckland

Oh snap, me too! There are a few others too?! We should all have a group Kiwi EOSHD meet up one day.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Panasonic GH5, use it for video of course (also got job doing full time video production, they use canon cinema cameras)

May I ask, which company are you working for?

:( wonder what's the marketing strategy for sony! They have gh5 in the market for a while now eating from a7s pie bits by bits. They have fs5, fs7 and they just announce the sony venice and YET at NAB they announce once again a video NON Dslr camera. Why, like why??? when people are expecting an a7s mark3 with 10 bits and decent codec. that's all we ask for. Would be the perfect indie camera for a long time ahead.

Just saying out loud.

25 minutes ago, cojocaru27 said:

:( wonder what's the marketing strategy for sony! They have gh5 in the market for a while now eating from a7s pie bits by bits.

Apart from the fact that the A7s still has significant advantages in 2 important areas - sensor size and low light / high ISO performance. An A7sIII with an internal UHD 4.2.2 10bit codec may just be the 'giant killer' that everyone wants but which Sony thinks will kill sales of their higher end cameras and therefore not be commercially acceptable. 

Yeah they didn't care much with the a7S mk1 only have 1080 internal and 4K 8bit external, when the GH4 had 4K internal and 10bit external

Then they took their sweet time releasing a7S mk2 (which didn't even catch up to the GH4 in offering 10bit external). 

Ditto this time around, they'll take their sweet time to release the a7S mk3

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah they didn't care much with the a7S mk1 only have 1080 internal and 4K 8bit external, when the GH4 had 4K internal and 10bit external

Then they took their sweet time releasing a7S mk2 (which didn't even catch up to the GH4 in offering 10bit external). 

Ditto this time around, they'll take their sweet time to release the a7S mk3

Arguably the GH4's 10 bit external was not any better as the Sony 8bit external. 

3 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Apart from the fact that the A7s still has significant advantages in 2 important areas - sensor size and low light / high ISO performance. An A7sIII with an internal UHD 4.2.2 10bit codec may just be the 'giant killer' that everyone wants but which Sony thinks will kill sales of their higher end cameras and therefore not be commercially acceptable. 

this topic was already covered many times on this forum. I have to agree to the fact that the professionals who are shooting on fs7 are choosing it for the right reasons. Like build in ND, body type and ergonomy, and so on. And vice versa, who's choosing to shoot on a7s will do it especially for "the right tool for the right job" reason. 

It's not like sony can hold back the features forever just not to cut into fs7 sales. I think that would be the wrong approach. Just saying.

6 minutes ago, cojocaru27 said:

It's not like sony can hold back the features forever just not to cut into fs7 sales. I think that would be the wrong approach. Just saying.

Yes they can. You may think it's the wrong approach but if you were a Sony shareholder and the board proposed a move that would reduce profits you may think differently....

Build in ND filters and body type do not worth two, three or 4 times the money. This is an argument that gets rusty year by year.

I do like dedicated video cameras (and prefer them for most jobs), but GH5 is cutting sales from everyone these days, and for a few good reasons. 

We will see what EVA will sell this year, but I doubt it will be as profitable the GH5 is for Panasonic, even with a lot bigger profit margin.

A7sIII has to be the bomb; Canonikon are preparing full frame mirrorless of their own, Fuji seems capable to achieve great things and they got the lenses to offer the total package. 2018-2019 will be very important for the battle of the Mirrorless. Someone eventually will fold, and will fold for good.

25 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Any source showing how the GH5 is cutting into others?

Nothing in print, but at NAB this year I spoke directly with a Panasonic rep who gave me some juicy stuff.

I recall him saying this to me: “Most years when all of the reps bump into eachother on the airplane or at the airport the Canon and Nikon guys act as if they are the elite and look down on us (Panasonic reps). This year (2017) is the first year that they told me that we along with Sony are eating their lunch when it comes to video and mirrorless and Canon corporate has taken notice.”

Also, I remember when I was at NAB was when Casey Neistat announced that he was shooting his vlogs on the GH5. The Panasonic rep told me that the amazon orders went up 20% within those 24hrs when Casey announced that.