Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

My business partner bought the a6300 for 1600€, body only (That is a lot of $, even more CAD and AUS ones) and now it is 900 with the - terrible - Paz lens.

Funny thing is that he had to sold his a6000/Canon 6D and a couple of lenses for peanuts to buy the a6300.

Similar story with A7 mk 1 cameras too.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sonys always drop like stones on the used narket here. So does Panasonic.

If anything, I think it more depends on the camera model.

I got a A7 and GX7 new from shops two doors apart on the same day a few years ago.

I paid from memory about 2/3 of the price of the A7 for the GX7.

As I said before, I sold the A7 after a bit more than two years solid use and got a reasonable price for it I thought.

I still have the GX7 but its price drop would be far greater than the A7 did and I don't think it is really worth selling (I might use it to trade in next year).

Not sure if it still happens but for a while at least, Sony employees could get a very healthy discount and many were buying to sell.

I just did a comparison between the A7s and the Canon 5d ii on Ebay Australia only.

The ranges of sold listings (A lot more Canons) with the 5D iii sold body only up to $3299.99 (new) and the cheapest (used) being $1276.00 body only 36 bids (works perfectly normal signs of wear)..

A7s range was New body only up to $2688.00 (though there was a used body only that went for $2720.00 with 38 bids) down to $1300 for a used A7s body only (buy it now/best offer "screen has minor marks but doesn't affect operation when lit").

So actually, at least here in Australia from this sample as an example, the Canon 5D iii sells for more new and less used than the A7s.

EDIT and looking at sold listings for the A7 against the 6D, the prices are very similar (the 6D down to $805 and the A7 down to $750 with a fair number of each in the range up to a bit more than $1000) and the Canon was dearer than the Sony originally new so they run pretty close in what they have come down I think

@ntblowz Sony depreciates faster than any other brand in my European country.

Panasonic is second.

Even discontinued Samsung NX cameras are sold more than a6xx ones, and equally to A7 series.

Canonikon, as usual, are holding prices quite well. Surprisingly, Fuji are as well, but the sample size is much smaller. It seems there is a cult following that keep their NX and Fuji equipment, so the market is not flooded. NX has the features and modernity to hold on to, and Fuji the retro looks and special photo engine.

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I agree, I bought the Sony RX1RMII at release, and it currently retails for more than I paid for it. I can get back 2/3 of my cost if I sell it used, which I consider quite good after having used the camera for this long.

Here the model doesn't matter. Mirrorless is what plummet.

I also bought an RX1rii. I paid less than 2/3 of retail, with warranty in a store. Its also marked as discontinued and there is only one left for sale as new in all of Sweden. 50% is easily obtainable.

But the RX1 line are special cameras and not the best to compare with. The original RX1 is about $1k. The A7 is less. An a6000 is just a couple of hundred. 

At the end of the day Panasonic drops worse.

My tip regarding the RX1r2... get one if you find one cheap. The video on it is ok, worse than on the x100f which has excellent video. But the lens and tilt screen seals the deal for me for stills. Makes it worth the horrible battery and other downsides.

I made a review.

New day, searching again.

Australia only sold items "sony a7s" lowest price first (Australian dollars which vary with dates sold against other currencies).

A7s body only $1300,

A7s original packing $1475

A7s with cage AC power batteries $1500

Sony A7s with Cage  AC Power  Canon power  m42 and nikon adapters, batteries $1550

Very low shutter count A7s body only $1560

A7s body only $1600

A7s brand new $2037.30

A7s brand new $2099

A7s new $2688.85

A7s body only $2750 (this was used!!!) The first A7s ii was used at $2600.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=sony+a7s&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&_dmd=1

Australia only sold items "Canon 5d iii" lowest price first ETC.

5diii   body only $1276

5diii body only $1450

5diii body only $1500

5diii body only $1501

5diii body only $1550

5diii body only and accessories $1602

5Diii body only $1605.92

Then there are another eight under $1700, another eight 17-1799,  and about thirty more up to $2000.     The first new ones was sold at $2350 (two separate listings) and the dearest new body only sold was $3299 (sold last month).

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sop=2&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Canon+5d+iii&LH_PrefLoc=1&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

Those are actual sold cameras.    All the listing I could see for the A7s and all the listings up to the 1605.92 one.

I am selling my a7sii in Australia. Have it listed for 2750. The best offer I have had so far is 2400. 

@noone if you are located in Sydney you should buy this guys kit - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manly/other-cameras/sony-a7rii-a6500-photography-and-filmmaker-kit/1162466030

insane value. You could sell most of the stuff and get a camera for free. I tried to buy it but he won’t post. 

1 minute ago, thefactory said:

I am selling my a7sii in Australia. Have it listed for 2750. The best offer I have had so far is 2400. 

@noone if you are located in Sydney you should buy this guys kit - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manly/other-cameras/sony-a7rii-a6500-photography-and-filmmaker-kit/1162466030

insane value. You could sell most of the stuff and get a camera for free. I tried to buy it but he won’t post. 

I have enough cameras still as it is now (after getting rid of some) and am very happy with my original A7s.      I am also very poor now.        Gotta start saving for the day the A7s dies.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Here the model doesn't matter. Mirrorless is what plummet.

I also bought an RX1rii. I paid less than 2/3 of retail, with warranty in a store. Its also marked as discontinued and there is only one left for sale as new in all of Sweden. 50% is easily obtainable.

But the RX1 line are special cameras and not the best to compare with. The original RX1 is about $1k. The A7 is less. An a6000 is just a couple of hundred. 

At the end of the day Panasonic drops worse.

My tip regarding the RX1r2... get one if you find one cheap. The video on it is ok, worse than on the x100f which has excellent video. But the lens and tilt screen seals the deal for me for stills. Makes it worth the horrible battery and other downsides.

I made a review.

So you finally got hold of an a7rii (sort of). Do you think you will keep the rx1 for a while?

im keen to see what the next one offers. I don’t think Sony has found a way to deal with the heat that 4K generates yet. So not expecting huge video features in the next model. But some would be nice. 

3 minutes ago, noone said:

I have enough cameras still as it is now (after getting rid of some) and am very happy with my original A7s.      I am also very poor now.        Gotta start saving for the day the A7s dies.

Does the original a7s shoot in s35? I want a b-cam but hate the ergonomics of the a6xx series of cameras. 

11 minutes ago, thefactory said:

So you finally got hold of an a7rii (sort of). Do you think you will keep the rx1 for a while?

im keen to see what the next one offers. I don’t think Sony has found a way to deal with the heat that 4K generates yet. So not expecting huge video features in the next model. But some would be nice. 

Does the original a7s shoot in s35? I want a b-cam but hate the ergonomics of the a6xx series of cameras. 

Yes it shoots both APSC and FF for full HD (4k only via an external recorder).        I mainly use it for photos in low light though and just for recording live music for the odd song or two for video.

Man need to get some 5DIII from Oz and sell it here, few hundred dollar profit!

Too bad in NZ you can't post stuff with battery to overseas unless using the most expensive courier option.

Is RX1R II for US$2200 and Leica SL for US$3500 a good price? Both of them are at our local auction site right now

What it does show is just how small the market for these cameras is.

Around 10 A7s cameras sold in Australia in a few months and probably around 50 to 60 Canon 5D iii's.      

That might explain some lower and higher prices for the A7s      If you NEED one, then you pay what you have to at the time and if you WANT one, you wait.    If selling out of need you take the going rate.

The 5Diii is fairly available used and there was probably a few more than normal over the last few months with people buying the 5d iv.

NZ being a smaller market still would explain the price of the A7s too.      Even two cameras on Ebay might constitute a "glut" unless there was a sudden need.

I suspect if you did buy four 5diii's and put the on Ebay NZ at once, you might take a hit too but maybe selling spaced??

• Super Members
7 hours ago, thefactory said:

I will probably keep it over winter. I'm in the market to buy a DSLR in the start of 2018. Then I might sell it or trade it.

Its a great camera. Awesome on the street. But the GR will always be the A-cam so I don't "need" it.

I dont care about 4K in a mark iii. I would think getting the HD to the quality of the x100f is enough. Faster AF is always welcomed and better battery. Flash would be lovely as well.

They could ad a little more to the thumb rest. I've since my review learned to hold it and never use the thumbs up. The grip is fine.

3 hours ago, noone said:

Same here. Almost no one is updating their cameras. They bouht a t3i back in the day and are sticking with it. Mostly using their phones. 90% of all mirrorless cameras on our classifieds are almost mint, sold by first timers who found out photography wasn't their thing.

That's why its possible to get the prices even lower. They already have their eyes on something else to try. Wave some money and they accept almost anything. They don't care as long as they get to run and buy the paintball gun or whatever it is they are trying next.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:47 AM, KevinPhoto said:

SonyAlpha "sources" do not exist.

I have been a source ;-)

On 10/13/2017 at 9:01 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Sonys always drop like stones on the used narket here. So does Panasonic.

This is why I buy secondhand ;-) I picked up F3 for a song!

Exception: when an INSANE sale happens! I purchased my BMPCC brand new during the $500 sale. Which to my surprise, they still sell for more than that secondhand today! :-o

7 hours ago, noone said:

Around 10 A7s cameras sold in Australia in a few months and probably around 50 to 60 Canon 5D iii's.      

That might explain some lower and higher prices for the A7s      If you NEED one, then you pay what you have to at the time and if you WANT one, you wait.    If selling out of need you take the going rate.

The 5Diii is fairly available used and there was probably a few more than normal over the last few months with people buying the 5d iv.

NZ being a smaller market still would explain the price of the A7s too.      Even two cameras on Ebay might constitute a "glut" unless there was a sudden need.

I suspect if you did buy four 5diii's and put the on Ebay NZ at once, you might take a hit too but maybe selling spaced??

There is no ebay NZ, they tried to get in few years ago but our local auction site is firmly rooted to kiwi mind lol

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

There is no ebay NZ, they tried to get in few years ago but our local auction site is firmly rooted to kiwi mind lol

Not a bad thing however.... you can buy from eBay and sell on TradeMe for more than what you paid for it?!

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not a bad thing however.... you can buy from eBay and sell on TradeMe for more than what you paid for it?!

I actually done that, buy cheap stuff in Oz and sell on NZ lol, but I haven’t try canon camera as I m not too familiar with their market value

but I do notice the downwarding trend of camera listing over the past years, they definitely not as hot they are used to be, so I am also downsizing my gear collection as I fear they will depreciate even more.

14 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I actually done that, buy cheap stuff in Oz and sell on NZ lol, but I haven’t try canon camera as I m not too familiar with their market value

Errr.... but why buy a Canon at all?!?!

You can look at Expired Listings on TradeMe to get a rough general feel for market values. 

Where do you live in NZ?

14 hours ago, ntblowz said:

but I do notice the downwarding trend of camera listing over the past years, they definitely not as hot they are used to be, so I am also downsizing my gear collection as I fear they will depreciate even more.

What gear do you currently have, and what do you use it for?