Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Strong rumours that Sony will be announcing the Sony A7SIII next week on Wednesday.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sure-sony-will-announce-new-camera-around-october-25-new-a7iii-a7siii/

Rumoured specs coming later today. Philip Bloom and a lot of other filmmakers of that ilk were out in Japan a few weeks ago for a "celebration of photography" event that didn't sound quite right, it could have been to test out this new camera. Who knows.

• Super Members

"Strong rumors" is a bit strong.

"While I still have no SR5 rumor about what kind of camera we will get ….I got these two new informations you have to take with a grain of salt:"

Personally I find it extremely unlikely that its the A7siii.
Simply because Sony has never done that before.
They have always released the A7 and A7r versions first.
But who knows, maybe the are ready to switch mo.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Logical exercise: Make a camera B with 20% more features than camera A, that costs 20% less than said camera A.

Nikon D850 packs tons of more things for many photographs than Nikon D5. And it uses D5 AF. Yet it is so less expensive. 
A9 is expensive because aiming at D5 and 1DX with extreme speed and shooting burst. 

There is no reason why A7SIII should cost 4500$ just because it gets the same battery as A9 and AF. See above exemple. Especially when the amazing GH5 costs 1999. 

Your comment is as irrelevant as it gets. 

Forget GH5 pricing. GH4 came out a $1699 yet A7SII was $3000. Full Frame is always going to cost more than M43.

I have my doubts on it being A9S, more likely A7SIII. 

A lot of A9 features don't make sense on a video centric follow up.

Better battery life, dual card slots & touch screen however would be most welcome.

I highly doubt 10-bit 422 4K internal, that would place it above FS5! at best 10-bit 422 1080p and I even doubt that.

Probably just ergonomic enhancements and PDAF with new BSI sensor. Maybe a bump in HFR or no crop 120fps.

The new model of Sony normally is always more expensive starting list price  than the last model. So if the a7sii listed at $3000 i would expect the new model to be more. They also try and protect the pricing on the old model as well. I have found that prices drop just before a new release then return to normal once the new product is announced. At least that’s what seems to happen in Australia. 

Hope I’m wrong and its priced like the old model. But gut feeling is its going to hurt the wallet big time. 

• Super Members

Here new Sony models often get a pretty decent discount just a few weeks after release and then it goes up again.
I guess they want to sell all the leftovers from the initial stock before returning to just keep one or two on the shelve per store.
I still haven't seen the A7sii as low as I paid about a month after release. Its been much more expensive since then.

SAR is a fucking joke, it more like Sony Press Release (SPR) instead of rumors as Sony pretty much killed the rumor bit after the hacking scandal.

The Sony camera in here doesn't hold value, A7S with movecam cage sold for $700, two A7RII sold for $1600ish this week and few weeks before, while 5D3 can sell for more. Same for Canon 6D which can sell for high $$ than A7II, not many a7sii for sale so I guess people still hold on to it.. until A7SIII or A9S released lol.

15 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

SAR is a fucking joke, it more like Sony Press Release (SPR) instead of rumors as Sony pretty much killed the rumor bit after the hacking scandal.

The Sony camera in here doesn't hold value, A7S with movecam cage sold for $700, two A7RII sold for $1600ish this week and few weeks before, while 5D3 can sell for more. Same for Canon 6D which can sell for high $$ than A7II, not many a7sii for sale so I guess people still hold on to it.. until A7SIII or A9S released lol.

Where is "in here"? In Germany a used A7r II will run you upwards of 2000€ and the A7s II is never to be seen on the used market. You'll still pay 2999 € for a new one, considering it came out over 2 years ago. Price development roughly comparable with the Canon 5D III I think.

The times where the Sony prices plummeted like nothing and a new model came every year are obviously over (which is good and bad, depending on perspective).

I'd expect a new A7s III to MSRP around 4000€ in Germany.

Seems to me that Sony cameras have been generally holding their own for value quite well.

I have sold a few cameras and the one I lost the biggest amount on was a Canon and then a Pentax and the Sony A7 I sold after two years solid use got a fair price when I needed the money.

The original A7s is close to being a couple of generations old but still sells for more than I would have thought (most of the time) but then it is still about the best low light camera for stills and HD video around.

You can still buy first generation Sony A7 series cameras new here though (as well as Nikon cameras a couple of models old).

SonlyAlpha rumors has zero credibility and even less sources.

The site is a page-view advertising income for somebody with a very polarizing view of the world in general (i.e. "DxOmark sensor test: Nikon D850 tops the Sony A7rII by a margin of two points"). 

SonyAlpha "sources" do not exist. The person that runs the site makes up things to generate page hits and ad revenue for him. He often "reads between the lines" from other forums, and in general, speculates on features and releases -- "99% sure Sony will announce something in the next 3-5 weeks" etc. To make it worse the site NEVER guessed anything correctly until AFTER all the other rumor sites make an announcement. 

The site is a joke and ad revenue for somebody with a total shill personality. 

26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sonys always drop like stones on the used narket here. So does Panasonic.

I put an a6300 up for sale in my area. Paid $1649 Austrlian dollars and getting offers under half that. It’s still has a great image and thinking I might keep it.