Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, cojocaru27 said:

hey guys, any new rumors regarding a7s 3 launching? the gh5 firmware update is coming in less then 2 weeks and it's time for sony to hit back, or isn't it?

There's talk of the new A7iii being released in October. In the past, they have not released the R or the S at the same time. I think that may be the case again and the others might be due early next year. 

Hope the rumours are wrong as I would like to see it sooner as I'm getting envious of the GH5 and also eyeing of some Fuji gear. After switching systems so many times though I am now heavily invested in Sony glass so might have to wait it out. 

If the A7III lives up to rumours (full sensor 4K readout, class leading autofocus) what is left for the A7SIII? Just see-in-the-dark capabilities? (I don't suppose the A7III will be shabby in low light). Perhaps a 12 MP sensor will allow for 4K60p internally? Otherwise it is hard to see a lot of people opting for it.

I expect the cameras to be identical.

Same bodies, ergonomics, batteries, screens, EVFs. Just different sensors, and orientation (budget-photography-video).

If not for the rest, the S definitely has to has 10 bit and 4K/60p.

These cameras can bring Sony closer to Canon (and far above Nikon and the m43 crowd) for the photo/video domination, that will be decided in the next decade.

The current rumor is A7III will be announced near the end of this year and start shipping early next year (A7II was announced in Nov 14 and shipped in Dec 14) I bet A7RIII will probably come out around summer 18 and A7SIII in fall 18 (a year from now on)

Looks like they are turning A7 to 3 year cycle instead of 1 year compare to original A7

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Lots is left for the A7S III

10bit codec

Dual Pixel AF

4K 60p

New ergonomics, better screen, etc.

I doubt the A7 and A7R will have any of that, aside from the better AF!

I suppose 6K at 30p is roughly the same data volume from the sensor as 4K at 60p so that might be do-able. Wouldn't have true 4K at S35 though, which is a popular feature.

if a7s 3 comes a year from now than it's really hard to resist the gh5 with the new upcoming firmware. And in terms of business, if people are choosing to make the switch rather than wait for the sony to catch up, it hard to justify the switch again after just one year when you already invested in lenses. Just saying.

8 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

if a7s 3 comes a year from now than it's really hard to resist the gh5 with the new upcoming firmware. And in terms of business, if people are choosing to make the switch rather than wait for the sony to catch up, it hard to justify the switch again after just one year when you already invested in lenses. Just saying.

Not really, some of us with full Sony gear and lens dumped to get GH5, though some just use the same lens on GH5 using adapter, if you do medium to high budget video instead of ultra low budget each time it is really not that hard to be honest

It's business and for PROFIT for some us and not just a hobby.

10 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Not really, some of us with full Sony gear and lens dumped to get GH5, though some just use the same lens on GH5 using adapter, if you do medium to high budget video instead of ultra low budget each time it is really not that hard to be honest

i get your point. Still, the gap between gh5 and a7s 2 is really small. Is hard to pick one. is basically better low light and sensor size vs better slow motion 4k60p and better codec, better colors, better lens range, better ergonomics, and so on. Anyways, at the end of the day i thing it comes down to different tools for different projects. It's just in my heart i am still waiting for the perfect tool which will be a7s mark3 with the feature that gh5 has but with a full frame codec. have to wait an other year probably. 

11 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Oh come on.

If you're really doing medium to high budget video projects, you are most certainly not rocking up on set with a mirrorless camera. Nor is it so easy to justify a switch between the two. The GH5 footage has the potential to be cleaner, sharper, punchier - for sure. But the difference between the two cameras is not night and day, and I'm sure a lot of clients won't be able to spot the difference. This doesn't even take into account glass, or lighting or crew size which have a much larger effect.

Really, you're just perpetuating this camera myth where people like to think a new camera with flashier specs will elevate their projects, and in turn make them feel like they're a better filmmaker by owning the latest piece of gear.

12 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Oh come on.

If you're really doing medium to high budget video projects, you are most certainly not rocking up on set with a mirrorless camera. Nor is it so easy to justify a switch between the two. The GH5 footage has the potential to be cleaner, sharper, punchier - for sure. But the difference between the two cameras is not night and day, and I'm sure a lot of clients won't be able to spot the difference. This doesn't even take into account glass, or lighting or crew size which have a much larger effect.

Really, you're just perpetuating this camera myth where people like to think a new camera with flashier specs will elevate their projects, and in turn make them feel like they're a better filmmaker by owning the latest piece of gear.

lol damn my intention has been blown, though same can be say to smartphones, some people spend $1000 per year on new phone for the latest and greatest and some only spend after their current one died.

On 9/18/2017 at 2:53 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I would expect A7R III with Nikon D850 sensor first, probably going to be next year now. A7S III a few months after that. I hope it arrives in 2018, not any later than that.

Guys in Japan are saying the D850 sensor has no connection to Sony.It was made by a company called  "Towerjazz " to Nikon's required specifications.

http://towerjazz.com/ they are for real and seem to make some China investments.

It says they have 3 fabs in Japan "Towerjazz Panasonic", 3 in USA and 1 in Israel.

Do not know about the Nikon connection, but I would expect photo/video companies to try to become more Sony-independent, sensor wise.

I do not think Nikon can be saved though..

On another note, any video orientated camera must have 10 bit capabilities. It is the new standard. Middling TV sets will be 10 bit soonish, so must most cameras. Everything moves to that direction, and Panasonic proved that it can be done, for cheap.

7 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Would it be foolish to want a better codec instead? Regardless of whether it's 8 or 10bit.

I never had a big problem with the codec per se, only it wasn't easy to process.

If they do go to 10bit, they most probably increase the bitrate as well and maybe the increase the color sampling to 4:2:2. I doubt they will have intraframe coding and most probably it will be XAVC-L 4K as in FS5 which means a new MXF wrapper. 

My guess is that they will just add 4K 60fps internally in 8bit, and offer a 10bit 4:2:2 output.