Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Come on people, these are crap, I want my future camera to shoot A and B footage when I am NOT THERE AT ALL, with adequate sound of course. That is innovation, and it will improve my workflow and my life in general, I even will be able to start shooting video as a hobby then!

I think it is funny though. People used to complain so much that Sony releases camera successors too quickly and that the used market price depreciates at crazy speeds. Now the A7s II came out a bit over 18 months ago, prices are really stable (in Switzerland release price was around 3499 Chf and it still costs 3199 Chf. Used it's around 2800) and we aren't happy either. Even the old A7s still sells here for 1699 which I wouldn't exactly call cheap.

I really hoped an updated A7s III would have gotten announced. But alas, let's use what we have.

May be I'm the only one... but I want 5K up to 100fps - and various resolutions up to 5K & frame rates up to 300fps

12 to 16 bit - compressed RAW?

I mean RED is doing it... of course they are already at 8K - fix the damned heating issues and give us more!

16 hours ago, jax_rox said:

You're assuming the people at these events are just marketing underlings.

That's often not the case

If it is not Japan, then they are underlings with no special knowledge of developments going on behind closed door at the home office.

12 hours ago, Phil A said:

I think it is funny though. People used to complain so much that Sony releases camera successors too quickly and that the used market price depreciates at crazy speeds. Now the A7s II came out a bit over 18 months ago, prices are really stable (in Switzerland release price was around 3499 Chf and it still costs 3199 Chf. Used it's around 2800) and we aren't happy either. Even the old A7s still sells here for 1699 which I wouldn't exactly call cheap.

I really hoped an updated A7s III would have gotten announced. But alas, let's use what we have.

Pretty amazing how well the price of the original, used, Sony A7s still cost. :grimace: Goes without saying, it still is a hell of a good camera. I would like to have one.

22 hours ago, mkabi said:

May be I'm the only one... but I want 5K up to 100fps - and various resolutions up to 5K & frame rates up to 300fps

12 to 16 bit - compressed RAW?

I mean RED is doing it... of course they are already at 8K - fix the damned heating issues and give us more!

Seems like you´re having a love for HFR just like Peter Jackson! :) Imagine real and clean 2K without artefacts in up to 240fps in 10bit, now

wouldnt that be plenty for a DSLM?

9 minutes ago, Davey said:

What to expect? Autofocus as good as this will be nice:

All the early reports now the embargo has been lifted show the camera is the real deal.

Maybe if they kept the pixel count down, A7siii could be even better for AF.     24 or 30 fps?    With a slightly increased buffer, who needs video?

Again though, I am not sure it will be coming quite so soon and I doubt the 7 series will get the 9 "series" AF any time soon.

It would also need a massive change in direction for the A7s cameras from CDAF only to PDAF/CDAF hybrid.

25 minutes ago, Davey said:

What to expect? Autofocus as good as this will be nice:

Couldnt it have been called preview? Amazing AF is already nice for a headline. But gonna watch it anyhow. Thanks, Max! :)

Edit: Well, just watched it. Great preview or review. :) AF is impressive in video and photo!

My question is what could they leave out of the A9 to make a more affordable video-oriented camera, without compromising it. Would be great to have the AF.
Seriously I don't think they are going to make a completely different sensor for the A7Siii, it will either be an update of the 12MP sensor, or a version of the A9 sensor. It would be too expensive to come up with a 5K sensor just for a single model. 

I'm not sure why some were expecting to see an A7Siii or equivalent at NAB. Traditionally, NAB has always been more geared to broadcasters and not where you expect to see premieres of enthusiast/prosumer/consumer equipment. 

I'm sure Sony is still working on their overheating issues and until they come up with a solution, it will be tough for them to compete with the GH5 on video features. They certainly can't introduce usable 4K60p until the overheating of 4K30p is solved. 

• Super Members
On 24/04/2017 at 11:30 AM, jax_rox said:

Great rant, but you have little to no understanding of how these products work or are used.

You know, I didn't really want to get drawn into responding at length to this - hence my earlier self deprecating response - and I don't want to now either to be honest but I'm just going to say I'm a bit bewildered at such a withering put down at the suggestion of how separating the sensor and the processor and being able to modularise the rest of the interface and control to shape it to the function.

Surely its better for the user to be able to use the same imaging unit stripped totally down for, say, a drone or gimbal and then built up again to shoot in a compact form for other shots and then even put in an SLR style body because you want to go and shoot some stills than to buy separate cameras? And for the manufacturer, why miss out entirely on a piece of the drone market because you don't make a specific camera for it when you could just repurpose your sensor?

Anyway, I'll just leave this here ....

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/24/sony-umc-s3ca-block-camera-a7s-ii-sensor-in-an-even-tinier-package-nab-2017/

Sony eh? Clueless pricks.

4 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

I'm not sure why some were expecting to see an A7Siii or equivalent at NAB. Traditionally, NAB has always been more geared to broadcasters and not where you expect to see premieres of enthusiast/prosumer/consumer equipment. 

I'm sure Sony is still working on their overheating issues and until they come up with a solution, it will be tough for them to compete with the GH5 on video features. They certainly can't introduce usable 4K60p until the overheating of 4K30p is solved. 

The first one was announced just before NAB a few years back along with the cine lens, it was one of the stars of that years' show.