Baking the GH5 @60p

fuzzynormal

So I got an old client that has me doing some shooting this spring/summer.  Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Saint Pierre/Miquelon, Gdańsk, and finally Tallinn.  One of the interesting things about this tourism production house is that they've always demanded 60 fps video.  This demand goes all the way back to the 1980's.

One of the other things about this client is that they've NEVER done color timing/correction/grading in their productions.  (unless I work on their edits, which is rare) They just take whatever is in the can and cut (well, more like gash) away.

Anyway, I went ahead and got the GH5 for the upcoming gig so I could shoot 60p 4k.  That part is covered.

However, what about the color coming straight outta the camera?

At this point with the GH5 I'm not going to be at all concerned about post-color-manipulation, LUTs, ETTR, 10 bit, blah blah blah.  

Nope, it's time to just bake it in from the get-go.  I'd like to know any recommended settings for accurate vibrant color straight out of the kit.  No muss, no fuss.  Any thoughts?  Anyone trying to accomplish the same out there??

Just now, fuzzynormal said:

so I could shoot 60p 4k.

Easy question that I could look up easily, but would appreciate hearing a "real-life" testimonial from someone with practical wisdom:  What speed SD card is required for this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

So I got an old client that has me doing some shooting this spring/summer.  Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Saint Pierre/Miquelon, Gdańsk, and finally Tallinn.  One of the interesting things about this tourism production house is that they've always demanded 60 fps video.  This demand goes all the way back to the 1980's.

One of the other things about this client is that they've NEVER done color timing/correction/grading in their productions.  (unless I work on their edits, which is rare) They just take whatever is in the can and cut (well, more like gash) away.

Anyway, I went ahead and got the GH5 for the upcoming gig so I could shoot 60p 4k.  That part is covered.

At this point with the GH5 I'm not going to be at all concerned about post-color-manipulation, LUTs, ETTR, 10 bit, blah blah blah.  

Nope, it's time to just bake it in from the get-go.  I'd like to know any recommended settings for accurate vibrant color straight out of the kit.  No muss, no fuss.  Any thoughts?  Anyone trying to accomplish the same out there??

Easy question that I could look up easily, but would appreciate hearing a "real-life" testimonial from someone with practical wisdom:  What speed SD card is required for this?

Standard (or Natural). It's just 150Mbps so Sandisk Extreme Pro sdxc1, u3, is fine if you don't have the new sdxc2. I run a sandisk 128 and a panasonic 64GB. Just have to watch the white clipping. 

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I don't own the GH5, but I'd recommend using Standard if you're looking for vibrant color straight out of the camera. Natural or Cinelike D is going to be more muted. As far as accuracy, that will depend entirely on your WB. Below is a screen shot from the G85 using Cinelike D, no color correction.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.36.14 AM.png

5 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I think I'll be jacking the vibrancy and color a bit; pushing it a little heightened of normal. 

A majority of the footage is landmarks, so skin tone isn't a priority. 

I'm not sure which profile this is, but Jordan shot this Leica review with the GH5. Is this the kind of look you're after?

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I use standard on an old gm1 for all my product videos on Youtube. Looks nice imo. Would probably look just as good for landscapes, etc.

This. The GM1 is really a gem. I would give up my GX80 in a second if they would make a GM1 with IBIS. Heck, I might even scrap 4k.