a few questions for Canon C300 mk ii users

tomsemiterrific

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I have been working with the color matrix adjustments found in the "other settings" or the C300 mk II. 

I find it a bit mystifying. Do any C300 users have any suggestions about how to approach these adjustments and their expected effects on the image color? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd skip it and focus on shooting :) Those settings are for matching other cameras, under special conditions, 'just in case', etc. Canon Log 2, Cinema Gamut, and Production matrix works very well with PP CC ARRI LUTs, and FCP X automatically applies a LUT which looks pretty good.

In order to speed up production for some blogging stuff I'm working on (shooting me at my desk vs. models/actors in the studio), I've started testing Canon Log 3 with Rec709. So far it's looking pretty amazing straight from the camera (don't want to spend any time in post at all, just shoot, cut, upload, done). Another reason to figure this out (great look straight from camera) is for live streaming (which BTW- the C300 II doesn't do 4K over HDMI, only 1080p (4K out is RAW only)). Using something like OBS (free), it's possible to record live to H.264 locally (and of course straight to YouTube or Facebook) so zero post work is possible. This guy works well for 1080p capture (recommend the heatsink mod for long-term usage): https://www.amazon.com/Magewell-XI100DUSB-HDMI-Capture-Video-Dongle/dp/B00I16VQOY. For 4K (Sony A7S II), this works well: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1271171-REG/epiphan_esp1100_av_io_4k_usb_3_0.html. Both the C300 II and 1DX II make great live-streaming cameras because of the excellent SOOC color and AF.

16 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I have been working with the color matrix adjustments found in the "other settings" or the C300 mk II. 

I find it a bit mystifying. Do any C300 users have any suggestions about how to approach these adjustments and their expected effects on the image color? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site has a wonderful number of discussions about profiles luts and color .... 

Somewhat Sony specific but the terms are the same for most cameras.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/?s=pedestal

Bob