Sony A9 - announcement live stream

Hene1

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Holly Shit, that video has some serious detail, and i my mind beautiful color in it, especially in the beginning. Christ I have GAS.

Hmm, I thought nobody here liked the 'video look'. That clip was very nice, but it surely had the video look. ;)

7 hours ago, Dunjoye said:

Regardless of what bit the Gh5 has, its not producing those colors. 

For the Journalist, wedding videographer, Vlogger and Creative Content Type, The Baked look out the can does the trick. With light grading. Its a content hungry audience out there. Clean,Sharp, Vibrant  Rec709 look, goes a long way. 

Until you have both cameras at the same spot, with the same lighting conditions as in that ski video, you just can't make that assessment. All these corporate produced demo shots from new cameras look great.

Most of the GH5 videos that people post are heavily graded, making an assessment of color capabilities nearly impossible. Precious few people really excel at grading IMO. That's why for me, grades videos don't tell me much about the camera. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Most of the GH5 videos that people post are heavily graded, making an assessment of color capabilities nearly impossible. Precious few people really excel at grading IMO. That's why for me, grades videos don't tell me much about the camera. 

Agree 100%. I'd rather see just one correctly exposed, correctly white balanced clip straight out of the camera than dozens of poorly graded videos.

12 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Agree 100%. I'd rather see just one correctly exposed, correctly white balanced clip straight out of the camera than dozens of poorly graded videos.

But that's a general problem. Looking for footage to judge a camera is a nightmare.

Subjectively 90% is:
BMPCC -> log footage with barely any contrast / saturation added
X-T2 -> photographers with sharpness & contrast cranked up shooting jittery handheld
Sony A7 -> massively raised blacks everything
GH5 -> Slooooow mooootiooooon brooooooooo *slow mo running intensifies*

... also, M31 LUT with 100% opacity starts to haunt my nightmares

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

Hmm, I thought nobody here liked the 'video look'. That clip was very nice, but it surely had the video look. ;)

Well I don't think Any camera that shots 4k video and above, can have anything but sort of a Video Look. There is too much detail in it, which is a good thing. But I do like the clarity, the cleanliness of it to be honest. Sort of like seeing a series of Medium Format camera photos. Like the 6k Photo Mode in the GH5. You are really seeing a bunch of Photos, sure is not going to look like film does. I guess you could dumb it down with a LuT, kind of what Arri does I guess to get a Film look in camera, but you have to admit is was impressive. As far as I know Film is only around 6mp where 4k is 8.3mp, so it Can't look worse.

That video looks like when I had my Cataracts taken off when I was 60. Jesus it was the cartoonish colors and sharpness I remember having when I was a little kid. First I had seen that in 50 years. It was like a miracle. And that camera looks like a miracle also LoL.

• Super Members
58 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This might be of interest Jon as he's just shot all the GH5 profiles with charts and scopes. 

7 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

Whats the big deal? Canon 1DX MK II does 16 fps with live view, and it works great.        Are sports photographers going to switch over four frames a second? 

For how many frames, and how fast can it upload to a computer? And that 4fps might be the shot you miss and it gets. Why do we need any camera better than the Old Nikon F5 was? Because they make better and better cameras, and I guess this Sony IS a better camera LoL. If your livelihood depends on a camera I would be buying the Sony.

4 electronic frames, actually 15 electronic frames and 5 mechanical, I see Canon easily add 6 more frames with e-shutter, and then go 22fps, just for the kicks!

One's 10, will be another one's 11, over and over again!

400$ for the battery thingy? with how many batteries? because they cost 80$ each, and if they offer 2, they are not enough for a full day shooting, you need at least 4 (and keep charging)..and is it only me, or anyone else founds these solutions inconvenient for such a small form factor camera. What is the point of buying the smallest full frame body, and then add a full box with batteries under the camera, something to put ND filters in front of the camera, another box in top to connect sound, a monitor definitely and a few more things to make it video operational.  

@webrunner5  If you job depends of a camera, a Canonikon with their professional servicing and warranty labs in all major cities of the world, their battle tested bodies and lenses, the long selection of professional lenses, and those brands reliability are a sure bet. Do not know what happened to you since yesterday, but this isn't the greatest camera ever build, is far from great, and we haven't even tested it yet!

Just check on another thread how disappointingly NOT dustproof at all are Fuji lenses, after a few months most have collected dust, that made their user considering changing system altogether in the middle of a world trip. There is a reason Canonikon is what it is.

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

For how many frames, and how fast can it upload to a computer? And that 4fps might be the shot you miss and it gets. Why do we need any camera better than the Old Nikon F5 was? Because they make better and better cameras, and I guess this Sony IS a better camera LoL. If your livelihood depends on a camera I would be buying the Sony.

If your livelihood depends on the absolute best gear, than maybe you are doing something wrong. Don't get me wrong, having adequate gear is important, but it doesn't solve everything. If you haven't got a good eye its not the latest camera that's gonna save your ass.

Can we finally stop discussing how the A9 disappoints us for video? That's like me complaining that my Z4 doesn't fit furniture in the trunk. They just didn't make this camera "for us", this time we're the wrong target group.

If I was still only into photography, I'd be salivating over it!

6 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Without 4k 60p, DPAF and a robust codec, the A9 doesn't touch the 1Dxii when it comes to video capabilities, I'm sorry to say. The A7siii, however....remains to be seen. 

The 1DX Mk II is an amazing camera. I do wish it was smaller and had a flip out screen though.

A couple of years ago I described what Sony could do to make a real PRO FF mirrorless. An A9 24MP FF E-mount, high frame rate burst with a bigger form factor, no overheating and bigger battery but I thought Sony would put an articulated screen and touch screen as well. That what made sense to go after Canikon and it seems that that's what they did.

"One that could have around 24MP with fast readout that could do both 4K in Full Frame and 1:1 pixel 4K in APS-C/Super 35 mode. Not to mention great slow motion and burst frame rate."

"The A9 will pack everything Sony can, the A7 family was just a study case and preparation because the plan was to make the A9 go against the big boys, Canon 1DX and Nikon D5 but doing so in a Sony fashion, full of big technological advancements."

"I wonder how much will this A9 cost, maybe with the grip it will be at least $5000. Another interesting point is if Sony will pack advanced video feats in this camera."

"There are two ways to look at the A9, one is that the A9 is a natural evolution of the A7 series but for me, I think that the A7 cameras existed so the A9 could exist. It’s like they used the A7 to fund the R&D of the A9, but they needed time and enough technological advancement to pull that off after the A-mount experience failed and also to make it worth announcing against Canikon’s big boys.

I also think that this is why they haven’t made a bigger form factor for the A7 and I’ve said before, when I say bigger, I’m not saying DSLR-like, simply a bit bigger would do. Enough so overheating is no longer an issue and the camera doesn’t have any form factor compromise, for me, overheating has become a way to separate and justify bigger and more expensive cameras."

29 minutes ago, Rodolfo Fernandes said:

If your livelihood depends on the absolute best gear, than maybe you are doing something wrong. Don't get me wrong, having adequate gear is important, but it doesn't solve everything. If you haven't got a good eye its not the latest camera that's gonna save your ass.

I made a living doing Video, Photography for a Long time. I did it in a time when technology didn't change very fast, especially on the Photo side. So to be successful I worked harder, smarter than the next guy. And you have to do that today, but you also have the latest and greatest gear or a person like I was will take your job. That is all I am saying, push hard, and buy the best gear you can, that is the Only way you are going to last 40 years doing it in this day and age. There are plenty of replies on this thread that show how few of these jobs are even left! I don't think you can rest of your Laurels, or gear anymore like you could 10 years ago.

22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

4 electronic frames, actually 15 electronic frames and 5 mechanical, I see Canon easily add 6 more frames with e-shutter, and then go 22fps, just for the kicks!

One's 10, will be another one's 11, over and over again!

400$ for the battery thingy? with how many batteries? because they cost 80$ each, and if they offer 2, they are not enough for a full day shooting, you need at least 4 (and keep charging)..and is it only me, or anyone else founds these solutions inconvenient for such a small form factor camera. What is the point of buying the smallest full frame body, and then add a full box with batteries under the camera, something to put ND filters in front of the camera, another box in top to connect sound, a monitor definitely and a few more things to make it video operational.  

@webrunner5  If you job depends of a camera, a Canonikon with their professional servicing and warranty labs in all major cities of the world, their battle tested bodies and lenses, the long selection of professional lenses, and those brands reliability are a sure bet. Do not know what happened to you since yesterday, but this isn't the greatest camera ever build, is far from great, and we haven't even tested it yet!

Just check on another thread how disappointingly NOT dustproof at all are Fuji lenses, after a few months most have collected dust, that made their user considering changing system altogether in the middle of a world trip. There is a reason Canonikon is what it is.

All lenses have dust inside. Fuji lenses are no more prone to dust than any other lens. Unless you can't see through the lens, dust shouldn't be a problem. This from professionals who've handled hundreds of lenses by different manufacturers. 

17 minutes ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

A couple of years ago I described what Sony could do to make a real PRO FF mirrorless. An A9 24MP FF E-mount, high frame rate burst with a bigger form factor, no overheating and bigger battery but I thought Sony would put an articulated screen and touch screen as well. That what made sense to go after Canikon and it seems that that's what they did.

"One that could have around 24MP with fast readout that could do both 4K in Full Frame and 1:1 pixel 4K in APS-C/Super 35 mode. Not to mention great slow motion and burst frame rate."

"The A9 will pack everything Sony can, the A7 family was just a study case and preparation because the plan was to make the A9 go against the big boys, Canon 1DX and Nikon D5 but doing so in a Sony fashion, full of big technological advancements."

"I wonder how much will this A9 cost, maybe with the grip it will be at least $5000. Another interesting point is if Sony will pack advanced video feats in this camera."

"There are two ways to look at the A9, one is that the A9 is a natural evolution of the A7 series but for me, I think that the A7 cameras existed so the A9 could exist. It’s like they used the A7 to fund the R&D of the A9, but they needed time and enough technological advancement to pull that off after the A-mount experience failed and also to make it worth announcing against Canikon’s big boys.

I also think that this is why they haven’t made a bigger form factor for the A7 and I’ve said before, when I say bigger, I’m not saying DSLR-like, simply a bit bigger would do. Enough so overheating is no longer an issue and the camera doesn’t have any form factor compromise, for me, overheating has become a way to separate and justify bigger and more expensive cameras."

That is a damn good summation of what they probably did have in mind in the long run. Food for thought.

19 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I made a living doing Video, Photography for a Long time. I did it in a time when technology didn't change very fast, especially on the Photo side. So to be successful I worked harder, smarter than the next guy. And you have to do that today, but you also have the latest and greatest gear or a person like I was will take your job. That is all I am saying, push hard, and buy the best gear you can, that is the Only way you are going to last 40 years doing it in this day and age. There are plenty of replies on this thread that show how few of these jobs are even left! I don't think you can rest of your Laurels, or gear anymore like you could 10 years ago.

I beg to differ, i shoot weddings, and the guys i 'worship' and really like to look at their work still use the D700, working hard gets you a long way, having the lastest and best gear isn't that important, most people tend to use what they are more confortable with and that allows them to focus on other matters besides the technical ones.