Sony A9 - announcement live stream

Hene1

3 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

They should care, because those are people with top end gear and the ability to get a shot on the cheap - they're eating their jobs. Many organizations (at least here in the US) are using freelancers and whacking photo departments to cut costs (why pay salary/benefits when you can just shell out for a few images) amid sharply declining revenues. There are lots of ex-newspaper/magazine/TV broadcast shooters floating around with all the publications that have been shuttered and the crazy amounts of consolidation. Sports Illustrated canned its entire photo department a few years back. Ditto for most of ESPN's videographers. Fox Sports hires local stringers for its regional broadcasts. Many conflict zone photogs are freelancers. The supply far exceeds the demand. I'm speaking as an ex-journalist that started in the biz in 2001 and watched papers merge with TV stations and fire 75% of the staff, I've seen 2-3 stations share operations in the same market to save costs by shedding the overlap (most notably videographers) and so on. We used stringers/freelancers daily (most were ex-staffers) and I watched our newsroom shrink over the course of a decade to a shell of what it was when I started.

This camera is just a halo product.  Not many will be sold.  Sony probably knows this and just wanted to make the best photo journalist camera that they can.  

For now, my piggy bank is safe..... 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, eleison said:

This camera is just a halo product.  Not many will be sold.  Sony probably knows this and just wanted to make the best photo journalist camera that they can.  

For now, my piggy bank is safe..... 

I would agree with this. It is not for everyone. Just people that have super tight deadlines in the Sports and Political shooter jobs partially. I can see White House interviews demanding this camera to be used. Those 50 cameras clicking like hell has to be a Big Ass Distraction. Video cameras, No Problem, quite as heck.

Well "every*" pro photographer that shoots Golf on the planet that can afford it will want one.      Until Canon and Nikon come out with a completely silent camera anyway.

* Obviously not EVERY one.

1 hour ago, noone said:

Sometimes you need fast lenses AND high ISO.

IF the A7s iii comes along with a fast frame rate too, that would be wonderful but I suspect the A9 will be no slouch.

A7s at ISO 32000 and f2

Most definitely. That glow in the middle is rather distracting though. Cute bowtie, is that EL wire?

54 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Man I am old and I see the future. Some of you young guys come off as dumb as shit! Jesus! I am serious! Do any of you make a freaking living doing this stuff like I did?? I mean to put food on the table, pay the house payment, and all that goes with it, put gas in the cars, make you wife happy, etc., etc.?

You take what is out there and make a living with it. You don't piss and moan. Use this camera to make money. How hard is that to do?

Yeah we are all going to go out and buy a F ing 600mm f2.8 lens that is 2 foot long and weighs 15 pounds. Those days are done. I owned crazy shit like that. We HAD to buy it. You don't now with cameras that shoot 200,000 ISO! You young guys are Blessed what is out there to buy now.

That "target group" is who helped developed this camera and the 100-400mm lens! The Live Feed video showed Pro shooters that worked with Sony on it.

Nice slinging of insults. I'm just echoing what my sports shooting (the target demo) compatriots use and their experiences. If you think Sony's sensor is so superior that it'll offer a 5-stop advantage over what is that in the D5 and 1DX, you're mistaken.

20 minutes ago, noone said:

Well "every*" pro photographer that shoots Golf on the planet that can afford it will want one.      Until Canon and Nikon come out with a completely silent camera anyway.

* Obviously not EVERY one.

That'll definitely be very useful. I know of a few pros who added a Nikon 1 to their arsenal to deal with golf but there's always a lot of moaning from them about the quirks with the system. I'm sure they'll be getting this if they're still shooting golf.

Edit: When was automerging of replies added? Neat feature!

7 minutes ago, leeys said:

Most definitely. That glow in the middle is rather distracting though. Cute bowtie, is that EL wire?

Nice slinging of insults. I'm just echoing what my sports shooting (the target demo) compatriots use and their experiences. If you think Sony's sensor is so superior that it'll offer a 5-stop advantage over what is that in the D5 and 1DX, you're mistaken.

Well I guess you are one of the people I am talking about. :grin:  If you think I would buy a Canon or a Nikon over this camera to make a living with in your "business", well. You will be just like them, all doing the same shit, and loosing their jobs like many before them have.

53 minutes ago, leeys said:

Are ad hominem attacks all you can do? 

Well there are people that work their ass off and go for the best and latest stuff, or just keep using the same old stuff. It is your job that is in Peril, not mine, I worked my ass off and made it happen, as I am sure many have on here. Maybe you have too. But you seem to be stuck in the past, and I can't see that being a great thing moving forward. The Gators are Always chomping at your ass in a business like I was in , and I guess you are in. There is not many jobs to be had in it. And now less and less every day.

This camera is the future like it or not. And Canon, Nikon will Not be able to respond to it quick enough. If I was still working this camera would have been on Pre Order Yesterday, along with the slow ass, to you, 100-400mm lens!

This camera and this lens Will make you money. It will be better than the guy down the street. So it will be you or them. and you will Win. That is what it is and was about, you win, piss on the other guy. That is what puts bread on the table! Nobody remembers the guy that came in second.

And yeah I am a old crusty bastard, but I was a young crusty bastard that took a lot of peoples jobs. You have to be aggressive in this business or some young crusty bastard will be taking your job. Even if you work for yourself you have to be better than the last guy they used or, well, you know the outcome. There are a lot of people that want to break into the business, and you have to be better than they are, or you lose.

Well as a lot of you know I have my late night rant, and this is it for today LoL. Be good, and get better, or at least try.  :blush:

53 minutes ago, leeys said:

@BTM_Pix

So I'm baffled why they haven't brought out a 400mm 2.8 at the same time.

Full ACK. Fast long prime lenses (300mm 2.8, 400mm 2.8, 600mm 4.0) are crucial for sport pros at this level. OK, they will not be cheap, but so what? Sony can only get in this niche with the appropriate lenses - or/and with a LA-EAx adapter which allows high HFR with Canon lenses and the A9. As already mentionned, a spec beast is by far not enough for an "enthronement" in this area...

And it seems, the A9 will be only dust and moisture resistant (but Sony claims, there is no warranty for this) - so without a convenient weather sealing, like market leaders Canon or Nikon.

That said, Sony has only done the first step, there are still some miles to go for keeping up with the established pro sports photography competititon. Main points to go are real weather sealing and appropriate long primes...

@Trek of Joy

They should care, because those are people with top end gear and the ability to get a shot on the cheap - they're eating their jobs. Many organizations (at least here in the US) are using freelancers and whacking photo departments to cut costs (why pay salary/benefits when you can just shell out for a few images) amid sharply declining revenues. 

My claims don't contradict your points at all. What I mean by "enthusiasts" are selfish gear heads careing much more about spectacular (and in reality for 99,9 percent of real scenarios useless) specs like 8K 100fps 4.4.4 in a 2.000 USD device, than reflecting on valuable/informative content and audience preferences.

There are hard times for some journalists and free lancers who buy own gear, yes. Full ACK. There are many I know in Germany buying the D5/1DX m2 and not knowing how to pay back - because of the horror low rates they get for their photos from newspapers, magazines or news agencies. BUT there still are very successful people out there, making an excellent living out of their job. You have just to do more networking and self market yourself to get well paid jobs, but this is nothing new and completely independent from the industry you work in. Complaining IS NOT enough to get the right jobs...

It's more important to make profit out of your job than complaining about costly gear...Even cheap gear is useless, if you can't make profit with it...(When speaking about pro work)

2 hours ago, Chrad said:

Until it's time to grade and on one hand you've got 10 bit log in a beautiful colohr space and on the other you've got a single fixed 8 bit profile.

Sigma are late to FE because they're working on original lens designs instead of just porting their DSLR lenses. I'm interested to see how far they can get the size down.

Regardless of what bit the Gh5 has, its not producing those colors. 

For the Journalist, wedding videographer, Vlogger and Creative Content Type, The Baked look out the can does the trick. With light grading. Its a content hungry audience out there. Clean,Sharp, Vibrant  Rec709 look, goes a long way. 

We've all heard by now the news of the Sony A9 being unveiled yesterday afternoon. However, is it for everyone? Is it Sony's best camera yet? Is it a DSLR killer? I'll tell you one thing it is.... it is NOT for video shooters. Comment below let me know your thoughts. Check out my latest vid... Why You Should Skip The Sony A9 If You Shoot Video:

http://bit.ly/skipthesonya9

This Camera is SOLET made to take on the Nikon D5 and the Canon 1DX range. Videos feature seem very disappointing  (despite the headphone and mic jacks).

Also Max had a video with the 20fps burst, and the autofocus was quite impressive. I guess they have been quoting to gatecrash the sports and wildlife category for a while, and this one fits that market perfectly. Arguably even better than either Nikon or Canon.

@webrunner5 I have a more aggressive policy, I eat their hearts, and gain their magical powers. Win win, more magical power for me, and less video people in business. But they are keep coming back like the Orcs.. Seriously, I do not understand what you are talking about, just relax, it is a camera, I seriously consider more ground braking the 1999$ GH5 than this one, and I am not buying any of those.

Personal complaint: The touch screen is a gimmick, like the a6500's one. Can't believe that they still can't produce a full touch screen camera in 2017. That is just sad.

A pro camera without ruggness and element protective characteristics is a deal breaker for most.

The camera is a 5fps with mechanical shutter, and there are other restrictions too on the e-shutter.

Plus, where are the lenses? You don't buy a 4.5K camera using adapted lenses.

I am sure Sony will pay a few top sport photographers to advertise their products (and maybe @webrunner5 too!), but not see the bulk of them turn right now, maybe in mark II or III, or even IV, or V.

Sony has to offer similar pro services like the Canonikon do in sports events.

I can't really see Sony selling more than a hundred cameras in 2017, and that if they only have a few more lenses out, that zoom they have is not sufficient for most.

We all still waiting for the A7sIII announcement, or even better, a FS5 mark II.

Excuse me, "PJs can't handle 4k60p" and "PJs want 20fps raw burst" contradict each other. Give them a usable modern codec and then ask if they do care about 60fps or not. 

By the way, its not really a 20fps camera. The actual number is 12. and with mechanical shutter its only 5. So even in still, its not much better than NX1, speed/bandwidth wise. Sony just dropped a marketing bomb, and everybody panicked. 

@Eric Calabros

Excuse me, "PJs can't handle 4k60p" and "PJs want 20fps raw burst" contradict each other.

Sorry, that is not true. You can shoot 20fps on a stills camera and download the photos to your laptop/computer. Even with an old Win-PC you can edit every RAW photo without problem.

Try doing the same with 4K 60fps video footage. Most of this kind of data is high bitrate and more than a challenge for a (normal) computing system. A vast majority of German journalists I know, works on quite modern computers, but far away from capability to edit 4K 60fps footage. That's the reality (simple and very affordable office PCs in editorial offices)...But it seems, reality is not an recognized basis for building an opinion...

There is enough data (surveys, statistics, etc.) for researching computer usage...Just take a look at it, it will confirm my claims...

10 hours ago, thefactory said:

Looks like there is 2 USB outputs on this as well. Could be han

10 hours ago, thefactory said:

Looks like there is 2 USB outputs on this as well. Could be handy. 58f7f87ae5aa5_ScreenShot2017-04-20at9_52_54AM.thumb.png.1fc7a89d1d3ed756b65b3a38bcb7a097.png

More info now. I knew it would not be cheap but $400?

http://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras-batteries-chargers/npa-mqz1k#related_products_dynamic_default

@Geoff CB

13 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

full readout and much fasterrolling shutter performance

Yeah, this is another interesting technical aspect of the A9: Sony seems to dramatically speed up readout performance, so they are on a good way to a global shutter...

I am curious to see, if the A9 could focus and lock on (for stills) in very low light as fast and reliable as a high end FF from Nikon or Canon...Wait and see...

I realise that 2 things Panasonic needs to have to catch up with Sony needs to include PDAF and this new DRAM concept ("stacked back illuminated structure with integral memory"), which pushes sensor focus and speed considerably. Also higher voltage and maybe resistence, which helps with improving sensor designs. They need to layer their sensor far more extensively.

And Panasonic really needs to push Tower jazz to push sensor design improvements.

The good bit is that while Sony makes the sensor for all smartphones, only 1 of its smartphones comes within the top 5 smartphone cameras top 5 ranking. So sensor and product quality haven't been as well integrated. This is usually where the other manufacturers crash into the Sony Party. Panasonic needs to gate crash both parties. Right now it mostly had the cost advantage. But it can also have other advantages. 

Just checked the Comments on Imaging-Resource.com and I came across this:

"AUTO/Electronic Shutter:*7*8*9
Continuous shooting:
Hi: max. 20 fps
Mid: max. 10fps
Lo: max. 5 fps

Mechanical Shutter:
Continuous shooting:
Hi: max. 5 fps
Mid: max. 5fps
Lo: max. 2.5 fps"

The 20fps headlines, therefore seem like click-bait. Especially if the quality of the electronic shutter isn't the same as a mechanical shutter.