Sony A9 - announcement live stream

Hene1

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Is there not a known AF speed hit using that adapter and will it still do AF-C?

AFC remains to be seen but even using the LA-EA4 with the original A7 AFS was natively fast (though that isn't the fastest native set up).

The LA-EA3 doesn't have the mirror of the LA-EA4 and works very slowly on the first gen cameras but on the A7Rii is much faster.     For screwdrive AF A mount lenses you would still need an LA-EA4 for AF but the lens motor lenses including the latest super teles, the LA-EA3 should be fine.

The biggest issue for video was a restriction on the aperture used with the LA## adapters.     With my A7s and previous A7 what I didn't like was the limited AF point coverage so I sold the LA-EA4 (might get another as I still have a nice old A mount Sigma 180 5.6 APO).     The LA-EA4 worked great with the 85 2.8 SAM (also sold).

Again, this is all just speculation with the A9 but from what I have seen, I would think it might be ok with the LA-EA3 and the A mount super teles though they cost more than some of the Canon and Nikon ones.

I don't think most pro sports shooters will switch to this just yet but it is an interesting sign of the times.

I still shoot amateur sports with an old manual focus 300 2.8 (though I like that I can get higher shutters speed with it and my A7s.

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I'm well aware of the crappy quality requirements for U.S. broadcasting, but the fact that it could be made far far better doesn't minimize the advantages of 4K60p. When we multi stream 3 and sometimes 4 sub-channels on the same broadcast channel, it doesn't leave me impressed. Most importantly, the fact that an 'enthusiast' can produce technically, better quality material than the end result of what we see on TV, is a good thing, not one that should be derided.

I'm amused by your apparent disdain for 'enthusiasts'. You use it as an almost dirty word. :)

If I was them and trying to build a flagship that was trying to knock the other two out of the water, I'd have turned up with all guns blazing.

As it stands, even if they want to appeal to hybrid shooters by emphasising their video chops, by leaving out 4K60p they're already been outgunned by one of them.

Strange decision.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

No picture profiles is a bit of a disaster and shows that they are not aiming at video shooters with this.

Seems Sony would much rather we buy a 10bit 4:2:2 A7S 3... With picture profiles.

Looks like we will have to hold off on the purchase and wait to see what NAB brings!

Boom.  

Will not comment on the camera, because its clearly out of my field and directed mostly at photojornalism/sports. However, I do believe Sony made an amazing move with this product, because it will force 3rd party lens manufacturers jump to the E-mount, and get a much broader 3rd party lens selection (Im talking to you, Sigma!). They basically killed 2 birds with one stone on this one, creating even more support for their existing cameras, and releasing a fast focusing camera (which was what most people complained about).

The only thing I am afraid off: 

A7Siii wont get those nice pro features. Instead we will have to buy A9s to get dual SD, proper battery and so on. 

If Sony forces me to choose between a A7SIII with video spec update or A9S at 4500$ just to get the "pro" (but needed) stuff like proper battery and AF, them I am off. 

38 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

The only thing I am afraid off: 

A7Siii wont get those nice pro features. Instead we will have to buy A9s to get dual SD, proper battery and so on. 

If Sony forces me to choose between a A7SIII with video spec update or A9S at 4500$ just to get the "pro" (but needed) stuff like proper battery and AF, them I am off. 

Gosh I hope at LEAST this new battery becomes standard across the board 

Specs look pretty good for video, even without SLog. However, have they fixed the most important thing for both stills and video: the color science? (A7R II and A7S II are actually pretty good for color (RAW stills), however still behind Canon).

5 hours ago, Arikhan said:

(Photo)journalists don't care about the unrealistic phantasy or parallel universe of "enthusiasts".

They should care, because those are people with top end gear and the ability to get a shot on the cheap - they're eating their jobs. Many organizations (at least here in the US) are using freelancers and whacking photo departments to cut costs (why pay salary/benefits when you can just shell out for a few images) amid sharply declining revenues. There are lots of ex-newspaper/magazine/TV broadcast shooters floating around with all the publications that have been shuttered and the crazy amounts of consolidation. Sports Illustrated canned its entire photo department a few years back. Ditto for most of ESPN's videographers. Fox Sports hires local stringers for its regional broadcasts. Many conflict zone photogs are freelancers. The supply far exceeds the demand. I'm speaking as an ex-journalist that started in the biz in 2001 and watched papers merge with TV stations and fire 75% of the staff, I've seen 2-3 stations share operations in the same market to save costs by shedding the overlap (most notably videographers) and so on. We used stringers/freelancers daily (most were ex-staffers) and I watched our newsroom shrink over the course of a decade to a shell of what it was when I started.

1 hour ago, jcs said:

However, have they fixed the most important thing for both stills and video: the color science?

That's the problem, color was already  great once you adjusted few settings with picture profiles. So much that I had problem making stills look just as good. 

3 hours ago, Dunjoye said:

based on that video posted. The color already looks superior to the gh5 

Yes, the Gh5 is  Video first and has more features for video. But color and image matters. This is decent. 

IMO, without both cameras being in the same spot under the same lighting conditions, it's very tough to tell.

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

This camera is basically a A7s MkII on steroids! In this day and age you can shoot higher ISO's than you ever imagined. Why is everyone hung up on not shooting above ISO 800?? What the hell! This camera can do just that, shoot high ISO's. You really don't need super fast lenses anymore? Canon and Nikon, as of today, just sucked ASS big time. Game on!!

Even in a UEFA Category 1 stadium ISO 3200 or 6400 is needed with a f/2.8 lens sometimes. The target group of this camera will disagree on your dismissal of super fast lenses.

25 minutes ago, leeys said:

Even in a UEFA Category 1 stadium ISO 3200 or 6400 is needed with a f/2.8 lens sometimes. The target group of this camera will disagree on your dismissal of super fast lenses.

Sometimes you need fast lenses AND high ISO.

IF the A7s iii comes along with a fast frame rate too, that would be wonderful but I suspect the A9 will be no slouch.

A7s at ISO 32000 and f2

DSC03340.jpg

7 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

S-log is one thing, but no picture profiles? I like the colors from the A7rII only because I can modify them to my liking with PP. 

58f7be509bdc4_ScreenShot2017-04-19at2_44_52PM.thumb.png.572d8cf49fc17fa0cc9ace858929c159.png

Trusting Sony's defaults is a bit too much to ask. Look at these color clipped clouds:

Holly Shit, that video has some serious detail, and i my mind beautiful color in it, especially in the beginning. Christ I have GAS.

2 hours ago, leeys said:

Man I am old and I see the future. Some of you young guys come off as dumb as shit! Jesus! I am serious! Do any of you make a freaking living doing this stuff like I did?? I mean to put food on the table, pay the house payment, and all that goes with it, put gas in the cars, make you wife happy, etc., etc.?

You take what is out there and make a living with it. You don't piss and moan. Use this camera to make money. How hard is that to do?

Yeah we are all going to go out and buy a F ing 600mm f2.8 lens that is 2 foot long and weighs 15 pounds. Those days are done. I owned crazy shit like that. We HAD to buy it. You don't now with cameras that shoot 200,000 ISO! You young guys are Blessed what is out there to buy now.

That "target group" is who helped developed this camera and the 100-400mm lens! The Live Feed video showed Pro shooters that worked with Sony on it.

5 hours ago, Dunjoye said:

based on that video posted. The color already looks superior to the gh5  

Until it's time to grade and on one hand you've got 10 bit log in a beautiful colohr space and on the other you've got a single fixed 8 bit profile.

5 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

However, I do believe Sony made an amazing move with this product, because it will force 3rd party lens manufacturers jump to the E-mount, and get a much broader 3rd party lens selection (Im talking to you, Sigma!). 

Sigma are late to FE because they're working on original lens designs instead of just porting their DSLR lenses. I'm interested to see how far they can get the size down.