Another 35nap 2 3 project

ReinisK

Hello guys!

I'm new to anamorphic adapters, have never really looked into these things, but a week ago I saw a 35nap 2 3 projector lens on sale on a local advertisement site, and after a quick research I decided to take it home. It's huge and since I like to have my gear as small as possible, this didn't make me happy. But ok.

First thing I did was take it apart, to have only the lenses, so I could focus closer than 9m. Then I mounted the lenses on my rail system somehow, and tried to test the quality. The mounting system was quite bad, first results were not very encouraging, and I almost gave up on it. The picture was quite soft and of course the experience with double focus is not the best too.

Then I made a somewhat more stable mounting for the lenses so I could align them better. The front lens though is lower than taking lens and rear anamorphic element, but it seems, that it's nowhere near as important to align them vertically as to align the lenses horizontally (and also correct rotation), which immediately gives a sharper image.

I did the aligning using a Canon FD 70-210 f4 set at 200mm f4. It really helped to use such a narrow FOV to get critical sharpness. With the current setup though at 200mm f4 it's not very usable, but stopping down or using a wider FOV increases the sharpness, and once I got the best sharpness at 200mm, the sharpness with 35mm lens was just amazing.

All I can say is - I love the image and I'm really looking forward to making a nice mounting system for the setup. The image is supersharp and it seems like that all across the frame. I even couldn't believe it at first. I did this test with Samsung NX1 and Canon FD 35 f2. There were black sides though with this setup, but those can be cropped off.

Will post pictures with the setup soon and definetely some video examples.

The squeeze ratio seems to change very much depenting on the focus distance. 1m and below does squeeze the image a lot less than further distances. How do you cope with it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello @ReinisK and welcome to the anamorphic club !

First of all : WE WANT PICS ! I'd like to see your setup and images it produces. Very curious ! :D 

@Dr. Verbel' already has worked (with great success) on adapting these NAP2 lenses. I still have to do the conversion on mine though (Just 6 months late ... usual stuff)

As for the squeeze ration changing, it is quite normal with projection lenses. (Varies between 2.0X (at infinity) and 1.8X (at 1.5m) on my Isco ultrastar).
I just stick with 2.0X in post and usually you don't notice it unless you rack focus. A single focus solution would get rid of that.
If the ratio seems just off you can just change it in post ;)

So here's a short video of some shots I put together from the first time I've brought this kit outside - 

Password - eoshd

Shot on Samsung NX1, gamma DR, sharpness -10, UHD 25fps. Canon FD 50 f1.4 @ f2. Cropped sides and most shots stabilized, also added a bit of contrast with curves.

Probably didn't have a perfect alignment of the lenses, but I think it was close. Now need to make a better mounting. Will post some pics of the setup too.

• 1 month later...

Hey! Recently I did a Promo video for a XCO bicycle race, and the intro was shot using my DIY'ed anamorphic adapter from the 35nap 2-3.

I'm pretty excited about the image I can get with it. The adapter though still needs some work to be a bit more precise in lens alignment, and of course some solution to double focus would be awesome. But for projects, where I have time, I'd try and shoot with it the next time also. Probably a bit too much color effects in the intro to fully enjoy the anamorphic image, but it still shows through.

Very cool! Can you show your modded 35NAP?

3 hours ago, ReinisK said:

Hey! Recently I did a Promo video for a XCO bicycle race, and the intro was shot using my DIY'ed anamorphic adapter from the 35nap 2-3.

I'm pretty excited about the image I can get with it. The adapter though still needs some work to be a bit more precise in lens alignment, and of course some solution to double focus would be awesome. But for projects, where I have time, I'd try and shoot with it the next time also. Probably a bit too much color effects in the intro to fully enjoy the anamorphic image, but it still shows through.