Magic Lantern 4K mod coming to Canon 700D / T5i

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

5D2 RAW 3K Thread

reddeercity is trying to implement adtg settings to Digic4 cameras, especially for the 5D2. He is not there yet, but the camera is capable to compress the raw data in camera which is one of the requirements for the higher resolutions. 

10 bit is only available in crop mode right now (2144x1076 30p continuous raw with 2,61x crop factor)

Matematically the max continuous resolution could be 2736x1164 (2,35:1) at 23,976 fps in 14 bit, with 2,1x crop ratio at the 5D2 if everything works, but it may take another couple of weeks/months to figure out which registers have to be changed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah but i think some of the older Canon cameras, even the cheaper ones have a better CS to me than the new ones do. At least for what we like to shoot. I would much rather have say a C100 mk II over the original for features, but I think at least for the output I like the mk II is a downgrade not an upgrade CS wise. But I admit if I was a Pro trying to make money at it the mk II would be a better bet, even CS wise. That look is in now whether I like it or not lol.

What I find with my EOS M is it is mostly up to the build you have how good it looks. And once it is on a SD card that card seems to be stuck with it like it or not. My biggest problem was the damn thing has 2.0.3 firmware on it and that does not seem to be the way to go. So I am going to try to downgrade it and start all over. I can't find a build using the latest firmware I can do the SD card hack with. And that does make a big difference duration wise on footage.

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

CS is probably not as big of a worry though if you are shooting RAW. Too bad there isn't a magic lantern hack for the C100, that would be insane. 

The 70D seems like a really good choice right now. RAW with Canon DPAF for $300-$500 used. 

Do you have 4K with the 70D?

13 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Im not sure there is an audience for these ML updates on the beginner dslr's. Where is ML for the 5D IV. 
At this point im not sure if it ever will come. Maybe we will even see a new 5D that does internal RAW faster ;(

I think you're missing the point here.

The 700D is a beginner DSLR because of two things - price and features.  The difference in features 700D+MLraw and 5D+MLraw is much less with ML, so there is actually a huge interest in the cheaper cameras.  In a sense, this is how many people see ML RAW options:

• Cheaper APS-C cameras (model numbers in the hundreds) - medium bitrate card slots, CDAF, cheapest, APS-C
  • Nicer APS-C cameras (model numbers in the tens) - medium bitrate card slots, PDAF, medium priced, APS-C
  • Premium FF cameras (model numbers in the single digits) - high bitrate card slots, PDAF, expensive, FF

ML basically over-rules all the other tweaky differences that Canon imposes.

The 700D is actually one of the most supported cameras because one of the primary developers for ML has a 700D themselves.

1 hour ago, kye said:

I think you're missing the point here.

The 700D is a beginner DSLR because of two things - price and features.  The difference in features 700D+MLraw and 5D+MLraw is much less with ML, so there is actually a huge interest in the cheaper cameras.  In a sense, this is how many people see ML RAW options:

• Cheaper APS-C cameras (model numbers in the hundreds) - medium bitrate card slots, CDAF, cheapest, APS-C
  • Nicer APS-C cameras (model numbers in the tens) - medium bitrate card slots, PDAF, medium priced, APS-C
  • Premium FF cameras (model numbers in the single digits) - high bitrate card slots, PDAF, expensive, FF

ML basically over-rules all the other tweaky differences that Canon imposes.

The 700D is actually one of the most supported cameras because one of the primary developers for ML has a 700D themselves.

From what I have seen online so far, there seems to be a huge difference. 

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

From what I have seen online so far, there seems to be a huge difference. 

What differences are you seeing?

I'm not arguing that there aren't any, because there are, but they're a lot less than the price differential would suggest.