Jump to content
whoisjsd

Aivascope and Focuser 8: First Test

Recommended Posts

I think that's very true.  85mm and 100mm (m4/3) has always been a challenge for anamorphic.  For these small 8mm style anamorphics, maybe even worse.  85mm usually is f5.6-F8, but on 8mm maybe it is F16 or smaller.  I'll keep testing it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Some anamorphics prefer wider lenses & if the 50mm is fine then try a 35mm, but you might just find that 50mm hits the sweet spot.

 

Yep. The Aivascope and Focuser 8 are rated for 24-55mm lenses. When I shoot 30-45mm I have few problems, if any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, whoisjsd said:

 

Yep. The Aivascope and Focuser 8 are rated for 24-55mm lenses. When I shoot 30-45mm I have few problems, if any.

Yep. Even the better bigger Kowas are the same. Once you are over 55mm you start to see these effects, it is what it is. I rarely shoot over 85 on APSC for this reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A short simple test a shot with new Focuser 8 with Baby Hypergonar and Olympus Zuiko 38mm f1.8. Just my lady walking through the woods. Shot at f2.8-F4 Sorry for the warp stabilizer which I hate. GH4 4k 2.35:1 colored with Film Convert.

I really love the Focuser 8 for run and gun small scopes. The smoothness of focus could be improved, there is this soft bloom effect when wide open in certain lighting but it's very analogue feeling. Make sure you get a 0,9 hex tool if you get it. The little silver sheath can come off over time with lots of use. Optically very sharp. Great deal for the money and I like it 10x better then SRL Rangefinder. The one thing SRL Magic does have is solid mechanical design. I'm really wanting a mini Hard Core DNA or Focuser 8 with Rangerfinder mechanics. no rotating front and solid as a rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSYeb3IIJaM&feature=youtu.be

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ian Edward Weir said:

A short simple test a shot with new Focuser 8 with Baby Hypergonar and Olympus Zuiko 38mm f1.8. Just my lady walking through the woods. Shot at f2.8-F4 Sorry for the warp stabilizer which I hate. GH4 4k 2.35:1 colored with Film Convert.

I really love the Focuser 8 for run and gun small scopes. The smoothness of focus could be improved, there is this soft bloom effect when wide open in certain lighting but it's very analogue feeling. Make sure you get a 0,9 hex tool if you get it. The little silver sheath can come off over time with lots of use. Optically very sharp. Great deal for the money and I like it 10x better then SRL Rangefinder. The one thing SRL Magic does have is solid mechanical design. I'm really wanting a mini Hard Core DNA or Focuser 8 with Rangerfinder mechanics. no rotating front and solid as a rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSYeb3IIJaM&feature=youtu.be

 

Thank you. But i dont understand: did focuser 8 have a rotating front or not? And what is it?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

Thank you. But i dont understand: did focuser 8 have a rotating front or not? And what is it?)

No rotating front on Focuser 8. Focuser 8 is small variable diopter made by Aivascope for Aivascope but works with super 8 scopes and a few 16mm anamorphics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Aivascope it is designed for small anamorphic lens like :

"Moller-Anamorphot 8/19/1.5x
Yashica Scope 1.5x
Kowa Prominar 8 2x 
Isco S8 2x / Animex
Isco Gottingen Anamorphot 1.5x
VM Lens Anamorphic 1.5x
Baby Hypergonar
And others vintage 8mm film scopes"

and it also works with bigger scope lens (soft corners)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a new aviascope user and was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to desqueze the image shot on a GH5 and 4:3 format with the anamorphic mode selected.? can i just select the 2 x compression desqueeze or do I need a custom option for the 1.75 factor form the aivascope ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BPMonahan said:

I am a new aviascope user and was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to desqueze the image shot on a GH5 and 4:3 format with the anamorphic mode selected.? can i just select the 2 x compression desqueeze or do I need a custom option for the 1.75 factor form the aivascope ?

I just edit in 2x in Premier and then export the timeline to After Effects. You can make a custom Aspect Ratio setting in the Interpretation Rules.txt file. Other than that, you have to do resizing. The Aivascope is 5824x2496, or 3328x1426 when properly squeezed/stretched using the GH5's 4K anamorphic mode. I'm guessing with other software it's resizing. i want to try Resolve with it eventually so I'll figure out that when I get there myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question on stretching from  a first time anamorp video maker: when used the GH5 in anamorphic mode 4:3 4K 30p capture , I can open the file in adobe premiere elements and change the pixel aspect ration form a menu of fixed choices to Anamorphic 2:1. The resultant file seems OK on playback and has the properties: 3328:2496.  The dimensions of the final file don't seem to be correct given the proper measurement you quote for 3328:1426.  The horizontal is Ok but the vertical pixel height is off.

 

Any suggestions ?  is this a consequence of the 2:1 stretch when is should be 1.75 for aivascope or am I OK ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2017 at 6:02 AM, BPMonahan said:

Another question on stretching from  a first time anamorp video maker: when used the GH5 in anamorphic mode 4:3 4K 30p capture , I can open the file in adobe premiere elements and change the pixel aspect ration form a menu of fixed choices to Anamorphic 2:1. The resultant file seems OK on playback and has the properties: 3328:2496.  The dimensions of the final file don't seem to be correct given the proper measurement you quote for 3328:1426.  The horizontal is Ok but the vertical pixel height is off.

 

Any suggestions ?  is this a consequence of the 2:1 stretch when is should be 1.75 for aivascope or am I OK ?

Premier doesn't like custom file sizes and aspect ratios. Your best bet is still to edit in 2x and then do it in After Effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried Davinci Resolve version 14.2 (downloaded for free)  and Selected the CinemaScope option for the pixel aspect and seemed to look good. I was left with a 16:9 formatted version with 3328 x 2496 image resolution properties. The 16:9 gives a 1.79 ratio very close to the  aivascope 1.75 squeeze. I will try a few more test clips with some relative measurement references in the shot. I still having to work on a better taking lens configuration for the GH5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BPMonahan said:

I tried Davinci Resolve version 14.2 (downloaded for free)  and Selected the CinemaScope option for the pixel aspect and seemed to look good. I was left with a 16:9 formatted version with 3328 x 2496 image resolution properties. The 16:9 gives a 1.79 ratio very close to the  aivascope 1.75 squeeze. I will try a few more test clips with some relative measurement references in the shot. I still having to work on a better taking lens configuration for the GH5

I have found that 30-40mm is the sweet spot. My 30mm Sigma Art 2.8 is almost perfect with the Aivascope. You just need to use the AMC plugin to get rind of the anamorphic mumps on the sides. Works even better in ETC mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 12:50 PM, Romz said:

How do you guys attach the focuser 8 on a baby hypergonar? What kind of clamp or jacket do you use? @Ian Edward Weir @nahua

I'm using the Redstan Baby Hypergonar Jacket with a 72-52mm step down ring and then a 52mm uv filter ring with the glass taken out. It's not the best but works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2017 at 9:28 PM, BPMonahan said:

I am a new aviascope user and was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to desqueze the image shot on a GH5 and 4:3 format with the anamorphic mode selected.? can i just select the 2 x compression desqueeze or do I need a custom option for the 1.75 factor form the aivascope ?

@BPMonahan had the same question, did you ever get a clear answer? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...