Jump to content
whoisjsd

Aivascope and Focuser 8: First Test

Recommended Posts

I had planned on doing a big overview and thorough test of the Aivascope before posting anything. But in the middle of my shoot day this happened:

58f4890b490d5_2017-04-1416_06_15.thumb.jpg.8e76cc3f64d45ccf978c81fa01e1d2ab.jpg58f489198da64_2017-04-1421_59_43.thumb.jpg.b9fdc133489e763eb7d5115a443ae5e8.jpg

Was taking off the magfilter when it slipped out of my hand and fell 10 cm on the concrete. Could have been worse. It's on it's way back to Lithuania for repair. I have never dropped a lens...or phone... or even a glass in my life. It sucked.

So, until it returns, I decided to throw together what I filmed that day. Didn't plan on using so much of the footage... so I'm sorry if it's not up to par.

First and last shot were done on the Sony RX 100 IV at 120 fps. I will have to come up with a mount solution to use it again in the future, though. Don't want another drop.

Everything else up to 1:05 was shot with the Panasonic G7 in 1080 60p mode using the Sigma 30mm 2.8 Art. I had this setup on the Beholder DS1. My custom PID settings weren't quite there, so I did use Warp Stabilizer to smooth out a few bumps. With the Focuser 8 on it, it's front-heavy. Will takes some tinkering to get a smooth shot (or maybe a camera with IBIS...)

The rest of the shots were done on the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm 1.2 and a monopod. Given the size of the 42.5, any aperture under 2.0 doesn't register a change. Anything under 2.8 is kinda dreamy anyway. (As seen with some of the Cherry blossom shots)

Also, the wider range of lenses show somewhat extreme anamoprhic mumps. It's especially obvious when panning. I used the AMC plugin to correct this, but seeing that I don't have the lens right now to check it on a grid, I had to eyeball it.

 

Overall opinion so far? I love it. For it's size it's super clean and super easy to work with. The flares are great. The Focuser 8 is really clean and a great compliment to the Aivascope. We'll see how I feel after I get some more filming on it.

Also:

-If you have an Aivascope, I highly recommend the vintage Nikon 52mm diopters. They work REALLY well with the focus-through version, which is what I have.

-It works on the iPhone 7 Plus on the zoom lens, even in 4:3 4K mode in Mavis. Will shoot with this setup more when I get it back.

Will continue to post my Aivascope stuff here as I get it done. Let me know if you have any questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Damn man, that's the thing that most anamorphic shooters must dread the most. I remember a pic from Tito of a Century WS-13 he let slip...ouch!

But thanks for keeping us posted, interested in your results, especially of the focuser8. With this and Rapido's upcoming single focus unit, the number of options is growing quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Damn man, that's the thing that most anamorphic shooters must dread the most. I remember a pic from Tito of a Century WS-13 he let slip...ouch!

But thanks for keeping us posted, interested in your results, especially of the focuser8. With this and Rapido's upcoming single focus unit, the number of options is growing quickly.

Well, the Aivascope is possibly the best thing for it to happen to. They're still made, the creator is readily available, and it has a pretty modular design. If it wasn't for the crack, he could have just sent me a shell replacement and it'd be done.

I'm hoping the get the Focuser 8 on some more lenses soon. Will have updates when I can.

3 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

The image is nice, but I strongly dislike the flare, looking forward to an in depth review of this setup.

Man, the flares are the best part :) This is also a small sample of light sources, as I didn't get a chance to film anything else at golden hour or night. Only white hot sun... Different lenses and apertures greatly effect the flare, so I hope to get more tests done when I get it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Focuser 8 does make everything less sharp.  Need to stop down at least 1-2 stops more.  Also taking lens is affected.  50mm is fine (widest I can get), however 85mm is maybe 20 feet in focus, 100mm is not good at all even at F11 or higher no matter what distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ian Edward Weir said:

Mir 1B wide open would be my guess. 

My photo is taken with the Mir, not his videos. And that was wide open, yes. With the Aivascope Anamorphic, I have seen no CA. Not sure what is causing it in his videos, but it's not the Focuser 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nahua said:

The Focuser 8 does make everything less sharp.  Need to stop down at least 1-2 stops more.  Also taking lens is affected.  50mm is fine (widest I can get), however 85mm is maybe 20 feet in focus, 100mm is not good at all even at F11 or higher no matter what distance.

That doesn't sound very good at all! Really thought that this might be a good small option......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I heard, the Focuser 8 is tuned for a GH4 with the Aivascope only.  That means that it isn't made for other small anamorphics.  If I could extend the barrel travel, then I think the 85mm could focus to infinity (albeit with lots of CA).  However the response from the maker is that the Focuser is not adjustable.  There are other small problems with the build quality as well.  However, for the price I guess these can be overlooked.  I will do more tests when I get the correct step-ring for my lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, nahua said:

From what I heard, the Focuser 8 is tuned for a GH4 with the Aivascope only.  That means that it isn't made for other small anamorphics.  If I could extend the barrel travel, then I think the 85mm could focus to infinity (albeit with lots of CA).  However the response from the maker is that the Focuser is not adjustable.  There are other small problems with the build quality as well.  However, for the price I guess these can be overlooked.  I will do more tests when I get the correct step-ring for my lenses.

Yeah, I have had zero issues with the Focuser on the Aivascope as far as sharpness in most situations. It improves everything except infinity on anything longer than 40mm at fast apertures. (especially on my modern lenses for some reason...) I am still waiting on my conversion rings to get it on my other lenses, but I am happy enough with it so far. I sold my Elmoscope/Rangefinder combo to buy this (mostly because I couldn't afford something better than the Rangefinder) and I am happier with the overall feel and usability of the setup. The Focuser 8 is much better than the Rangefinder in my opinion and this is only a start. Hopefully future versions and products will improve on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received mine yesterday and did some very quick tests. Will post the pics when I get a chance.

Unfortunately, the optical quality of the Aivascope is abysmal. Bokeh is basically a giant smear. I did a direct comparison to the SLR Rangefinder- and for all of the faults of the Rangefinder the Aivascope is just not a professional tool by comparison. Maybe for a dream sequence or wide shots only or something, and that's it.

I appreciate that someone is trying to produce anamorphic solutions that don't cost an arm and a leg but this isn't one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did some more test shots today.  50mm is fine, but 85mm isn't sharp and 100mm is worse.  I shot 50mm at all f-stops, but 85mm was F16 and 100mm was F22, with unfortunate results.  Also, focusing is very odd.  1mm turn goes from infinity to 6 feet!  It almost feels like this was made for macro, but min distance is still 3 feet.  I really don't understand the design.

I get way better results with the SLR Magic Rangefinder.  Sharper, really great results with 85mm and 100mm, and build is solid.  Sure it's more expensive, but it's leagues better in quality.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's something to do with your setup. Mine isn't perfect, but I get way better results than that and much better than SLRRF imo. I will try upload a few test shots when I'm back. That being said, sure it's not perfect, but look at the price, you get what you pay for. I think for the price it's worth it, considering there's nothing else like it. I really want a HCDNA though, but that's a different thing entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nahua said:

Did some more test shots today.  50mm is fine, but 85mm isn't sharp and 100mm is worse.  I shot 50mm at all f-stops, but 85mm was F16 and 100mm was F22, with unfortunate results.  Also, focusing is very odd.  1mm turn goes from infinity to 6 feet!  It almost feels like this was made for macro, but min distance is still 3 feet.  I really don't understand the design.

I get way better results with the SLR Magic Rangefinder.  Sharper, really great results with 85mm and 100mm, and build is solid.  Sure it's more expensive, but it's leagues better in quality.  

Some anamorphics prefer wider lenses & if the 50mm is fine then try a 35mm, but you might just find that 50mm hits the sweet spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Some anamorphics prefer wider lenses & if the 50mm is fine then try a 35mm, but you might just find that 50mm hits the sweet spot.

A lot of projector lenses don't play that well with anything over 85 imo and 85 can be pushing it. Also you must remember shooting a 35mm @ f2 isn't the same as shooting an 85mm @ f2, there's much more stress on the 85 to perform @ f2 than with the 35.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...