Things we'd like to see in a future GH5 firmware upgrade

tomsemiterrific

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They HAVE to fix the audio input level. As it is now, -12 is like 0 or the GH4. Even when the input is at minimum level (-12), audio is still clipping when there is loud music or sound. If everyone could spam Panasonic's support with e-mails about this, that could be great.

12 hours ago, Stab said:

They HAVE to fix the audio input level. As it is now, -12 is like 0 or the GH4. Even when the input is at minimum level (-12), audio is still clipping when there is loud music or sound. If everyone could spam Panasonic's support with e-mails about this, that could be great.

That's definitely not cool. Have you actually compared the audio levels of the two cameras? What's your audio setup?

On 5/8/2017 at 0:22 AM, tomsemiterrific said:

Actually, they are. But the reversal is not in the Fn menu setting. It's a few items below it. Typical of the camera companies they do weird things. Why not have one category for all options? Nope. Can't do it. Put wheel options on another line, and put the options for the joy stick settings in the place you make the settings under one category (fn) and enable the option to make the joy stick settings in a completely different place in the menu.

Who decides this stuff anyway?!? And Nomenclature---don't get me started!!

The disp. function button is in a terrible place--right where you will want to hold the camera--especially if you have a fairly weighty lens, like the Sigma 18-35; and you can't disable it. So, instead of it being helpful, it becomes constant possible distraction.

May I ask why you'd want to change the function of the aperture and shutter speed dials on an ongoing basis?

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

May I ask why you'd want to change the function of the aperture and shutter speed dials on an ongoing basis?

I am not sure if this why you are asking, but on  my Canon 1D series cameras I changed them all the time back and forth depending if I was using Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. I never much liked using the front wheel as much as the rear wheel. I seemed to always be resting my index finger on the shutter button so was hard to think about both on the front. But was easy for ME to use my right thumb to use the Back Focus button or turn the rear wheel.

But it was a heaver camera to hold, and might have some bearing on that fact is why I did it that way, but same on my Olympus EM1 with a long lens.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I am not sure if this why you are asking, but on  my Canon 1D series cameras I changed them all the time back and forth depending if I was using Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. I never much liked using the front wheels as much as the rear wheels. I seemed to always be resting my finger on the shutter button so was hard to think about both on the front. But was easy for ME to use my right thumb to use the Back Focus button and turn the rear wheel with my index finger.

I just shoot video, so I set the front dial to shutter speed, because I was always changing it accidentally.

Just now, jonpais said:

I just shoot video, so I set the front dial to shutter speed, because I was always changing it accidentally.

Well true I used it for still photography, so you are right, I would have to rethink that when using Video! Hmm, scratching my head! :blush:

Well I most of the time have always used a camcorder style camera for Video, and I just change ND filter more than anything. So I guess I hardly Ever change a wheel on them. With manual focus older lenses I just change the F stop. So once I set the FPS speed With a Wheel, I never touch it as they are out of the way, to not Have that happen accidentally for a reason.

Camcorder layouts are just, well Hands down more convenient than Any dual purpose DSLR style camera is. And that is why I like using them so much. I got spoiled back in my ENG days. :grin:

That's definitely not cool. Have you actually compared the audio levels of the two cameras? What's your audio setup?

Absolutely. There's a lot to think about when you're shooting--it's very complicated. I fine it very easy to accidentally hit or brush the back wheel---and when you do you change the shutter speed. It's very easy to do. If you don't notice it you can shoot several clips with the wrong shutter speed. If you do notice it you have to stop and take the time to correct it. 

I would be perfectly happy for the shutter wheel to be in the back IF there was a lock button you can toggle on and off, like some companies put on the selection dial for priority settings. But as it is there is nothing to secure the shutter wheel and prevent it from accidentally changing.

Since that is the case, I'd rather have the aperture wheel in the back because any change in it is quickly apparent when it changes even a small amount.

Those are my reasons.

2 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Absolutely. There's a lot to think about when you're shooting--it's very complicated. I fine it very easy to accidentally hit or brush the back wheel---and when you do you change the shutter speed. It's very easy to do. If you don't notice it you can shoot several clips with the wrong shutter speed. If you do notice it you have to stop and take the time to correct it. 

I would be perfectly happy for the shutter wheel to be in the back IF there was a lock button you can toggle on and off, like some companies put on the selection dial for priority settings. But as it is there is nothing to secure the shutter wheel and prevent it from accidentally changing.

Since that is the case, I'd rather have the aperture wheel in the back because any change in it is quickly apparent when it changes even a small amount.

Those are my reasons.

But ... why should it be assignable to a Fn button? 

It doesn't. I just  belie

It doesn't. I just believe all things on the surface of the camera, buttons etc, that are assignable ought to be in one place on one list. I think it would save time and confusion in set up. Just my opinion.