New Ryzen 8 core 16 thread CPU

Henry Gentles

Just bought an AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU @ 3000mhz and a cheap msi am4 mobo + 32gig ddr4. It's the new way cheap 8 core chip and it edits 4k like a charm no more stutters, super smooth. My old i5 was terrible. Anyway if you haven't heard look up the Ryzen CPU's they're a bargain 8 Core (16 threads) and a no brainer esp. for editing needing to upgrade. Even with an 8gig 1070 videocard my i5 2500k didn't like 4k at all. btw I bought the Ryzen 1700 because it's the cheaper cpu and it overclocks easily to 3.9mhz with stock cooler with no fuss. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Henry Gentles said:

Just bought an AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU @ 3000mhz and a cheap msi am4 mobo + 32gig ddr4. It's the new way cheap 8 core chip and it edits 4k like a charm no more stutters, super smooth. My old i5 was terrible. Anyway if you haven't heard look up the Ryzen CPU's they're a bargain 8 Core (16 threads) and a no brainer esp. for editing needing to upgrade. Even with an 8gig 1070 videocard my i5 2500k didn't like 4k at all. btw I bought the Ryzen 1700 because it's the cheaper cpu and it overclocks easily to 3.9mhz with stock cooler with no fuss. 

Might you add the full list of components for that hardware combo? Links, if possible, they could also be rather helpful. Thanks :-)

6 minutes ago, dbp said:

Nice! I'm still using an old sandy bridge 2600k and I need an upgrade. My card is a gtx570 with 1.2gigs of ram, so it's always crashing and causing problems with 4K footage.

YIKES!!! You know they do sell new stuff you can buy at times LoL!

Yeah I understand. Trouble is when you upgrade one thing, you really Need to upgrade about Everything in the damn computer. That can get Damn expensive!

23 minutes ago, dbp said:

I know :anguished: I've been putting off editing system upgrades in favor of lenses and lights, but I think it's time to pay some much needed attention to the ol' girl. 

Like it or not I upgrade about every two years. But I build my own so it is not that much to do it cost wise. And I don't ever buy anything new, but used on Amazon like last years latest and greatest. Cost me around like 700 bucks to do it.

Just buy a big ass power supply and a big ass case and that part last for hell years and years. You can mostly use your old hard drives, SSD's. Memory last 3 to 4 yeas before it is outdated. So pretty much just need different Mother Board, CPU, and a GPU to stay pretty much up to date. And if you stay with say Intel maybe even the Motherboard will still be usable with the newer CPU, GPU. They don't out date the CPU socket that fast.

I have some new goodies here I bought last month to update. Been about 18 months ago since I last did it. Just haven't got to doing it. Went Intel this time. i7, 7700. Going to build a Hackintosh this go around. Really helps to use a Intel GPU to do it. I ALWAYS use MSI overclocked video cards. Best there is. Went with a 1070.

I am the same, been building my own. I used to do a big upgrade like clock work every 3 years since 2001. This has been the longest I've gone without one (5 years). Harder to afford for me now. Would need a new cpu/mobo/ram/gpu at this point. Definitely on my list of priorities. 

Thinking about getting a better fan to at least overclock my 2600k but I dunno if I can be bothered. Buying a 1060 6gb in a few days to at least help with the 4k instability. 

3 hours ago, Henry Gentles said:

Just done the same, here is my full spec..........

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700
  • MSI B350 TOMAHAWK Socket AM4 AMD Ryzen 7th Gen Athlon DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard
  • Sapphire Radeon Nitro Plus RX 480 OC 8GB GDDR5
  • Corsair 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4 Memory Kit
  • Fractal Design Define R5 Black ATX Midtower Silent PC Computer Case
  • OCZ 600W PSU ModXStream Pro Series
  • Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
  • Toshiba P300 High Performance 2TB Internal Hard Drive

The above cost me just close to £900. (Minus the last three items in bold which I already had from my existing PC)

The Ryzen 7 1700 comes with a good cooler too!!

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Might you add the full list of components for that hardware combo? Links, if possible, they could also be rather helpful. Thanks :-)

See my spec above! :tounge_wink:

This the case I use and my HP 30" sIPS 2k monitor.  It can hold 13 hard drives! Unit on top is a Blu-Ray read, write player from Lacie. My 16x19" Canon Photo printer on the right, Pro 100, Death Adder mouse, only way to go. And I use an OLD, like me, Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Since I am a gamer also highly recommend one, when you get old like I am you will Regret Not using one trust me!!!

I run with 32gig of memory also. But that is because I am a Gamer. You really Only need 16gig for Video.  Where you need as many gig as you can afford is on the Video Card, GPU. Try for 6 gig, 8 gig if you are well, well off LoL. I have seen no real worth the effort for Dual Video cards with video editing. Now gaming, hell yes, bridged they work well at keeping your FPS at 60 or more.

IMG_0137.JPG

I'm very interested in Ryzen for my next upgrade, but trying to hold off for now until I need it. As usual, I need more lighting before I invest in my rig more. I want a 1080 ti, but it is not a need (Or so I keep telling myself). Hoping AMD can come out swinging for Nvidia with their next GPU as well. 

Currently:
AMD R9 Fury X
Intel i7-5820K  3.3 @ 4.2 ghz
32gb Ram

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700
  • MSI B350 TOMAHAWK Socket AM4 AMD Ryzen 7th Gen Athlon DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard
  • Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

The above cost me just close to £900. (Minus the last three items in bold which I already had from my existing PC)

I got the same mobo and memory but have the msi 1070 videocard!

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

This the case I use and my HP 30" sIPS 2k monitor.  It can hold 13 hard drives! Unit on top is a Blu-Ray read, write player from Lacie. My 16x19" Canon Photo printer on the right, Pro 100, Death Adder mouse, only way to go. And I use an OLD, like me, Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Since I am a gamer also highly recommend one, when you get old like I am you will Regret Not using one trust me!!!

I run with 32gig of memory also. But that is because I am a Gamer. You really Only need 16gig for Video.  Where you need as many gig as you can afford is on the Video Card, GPU. Try for 6 gig, 8 gig if you are well, well off LoL. I have seen no real worth the effort for Dual Video cards with video editing. Now gaming, hell yes, bridged they work well at keeping your FPS at 60 or more.

IMG_0137.JPG

Seems a frigo! (Portuguese word for fridge :-)

Is that a Canon Plotter? LOL

12 hours ago, Charlie said:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700
  • Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Is it the most powerful solution these days or any other suggestion?

Gracias amigo!

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Seems a frigo! (Portuguese word for fridge :-)

Is that a Canon Plotter? LOL

Is it the most powerful solution these days or any other suggestion?

Gracias amigo!

Well it is not the most powerfull, but probably the best price/quality system. (if you stick with AMD you could also get the ryzen 1800x, if money is not that big of a deal and squeeze a little bit better performance out of it, if you go the intel route you could go a bit faster, but the budget would increase a lot also)

8 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I'm very interested in Ryzen for my next upgrade, but trying to hold off for now until I need it. As usual, I need more lighting before I invest in my rig more. I want a 1080 ti, but it is not a need (Or so I keep telling myself). Hoping AMD can come out swinging for Nvidia with their next GPU as well. 

Currently:
AMD R9 Fury X
Intel i7-5820K  3.3 @ 4.2 ghz
32gb Ram

1080 Ti might be a bit much. Sweet spot is the 1070 for price-performance. As you said, you might want to see how Vega performs too.

3 hours ago, leeys said:

1080 Ti might be a bit much. Sweet spot is the 1070 for price-performance. As you said, you might want to see how Vega performs too.

Lol definitely was not considering 1080 ti because of it's price/performance, only because it's the most powerful current card under $1000.

Fury X's are actually quite powerful and I grabbed my for $280 when the 1080 came out. Very satisfied with it's editing performance and quiet operation. SO I'm trying to hold off to the next round of GPU's. Maybe get a second FURY X, but added power+Crossfire issues make be hesitate.

If your going for purely editing, I honestly think the RX 480 is the best card for price/performance currently available.

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Well it is not the most powerfull, but probably the best price/quality system. (if you stick with AMD you could also get the ryzen 1800x, if money is not that big of a deal and squeeze a little bit better performance out of it, if you go the intel route you could go a bit faster, but the budget would increase a lot also)

A bit faster or much faster?

1) For higher than 4K resolution?

2) And for work in batch?

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/10/15-useful-batch-image-processors/

http://www.dummies.com/photography/digital-photography/types-of-photography/batch-process-multiple-hdr-image-files/

My specs.

I7 Ivy Bridge (3770)  / 12 GB mem / GTX 1060 6GB.

By no means a high-end system, just decent. 

I can edit the native GH5 footage (4k 50fps) fine with no stuttering or lag in Premiere CC 2017. Actually, even my laptop (i7 4700HQ / GTX 760m) with far fewer horsepower gets the job done with lag-free playback at 100% resolution.

So I guess the only advantage for me to upgrade my CPU / Mainboard / RAM now would be shorter rendering and exporting times, if I plan to use this camera for the next years, which I am.

How are you experiences with GH5 footage and your computer?