Casey Neistat - Panasonic GH5 shooter

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, eleison said:

The general public also says the same thing about enthusiasts who buy $1000's worth of camera equipment.. "Why is X guy buying so much equipment.. All I see are his cat videos... I don't understand.."

Casey is more in tune with what the general population wants to watch.  It isn't camera reviews.  In a lot of his videos where he is going to review equipment, he specially tells people to skip his video if they are not into camera gear.  Most of his 6 millions of subscribers are not there for equipment reviews, but for the entertainment factor.  Something that most of us gear heads don't understand :-P

I'm just wondering if maybe I'm missing something and he actually does something. I'm totally out of touch about these Internet things, I don't really care but that guy gets mentioned a lot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Respect to the guy for creating a style. Respect for filming every day. Respect for using every available tool at his disposable and getting rid of it if it doesn't work, for putting himself out there and being so open to criticism. It's not my thing, it's not my genre, but I really can't help but have a lot of respect for the guy. It's always easy to dig on folks because they're popular, and a million times harder to get to that level.

Casey represents one side of filmmaking that I suck at. Marketing, being inventive and making shit work if it doesn't go your way, finding solutions when it'd be easier to just say it won't work. I like that, and I'll drop by his channel sometimes to get some inspiration and motivation. It's refreshing to take a break away from conversations about bit rates and colour banding and things that aren't at all related to just telling a story.

49 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

He has his moments.

He has a Very good point. There is Always Alligators chomping at your ass if you want to be successful. If you want to lay on your ass in a Trailer Park, well obliviously you don't care.

29 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Reminded me of this.

Now that is one Damn Good Video!!

2 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Respect to the guy for creating a style. Respect for filming every day. Respect for using every available tool at his disposable and getting rid of it if it doesn't work, for putting himself out there and being so open to criticism. It's not my thing, it's not my genre, but I really can't help but have a lot of respect for the guy. It's always easy to dig on folks because they're popular, and a million times harder to get to that level.

Casey represents one side of filmmaking that I suck at. Marketing, being inventive and making shit work if it doesn't go your way, finding solutions when it'd be easier to just say it won't work. I like that, and I'll drop by his channel sometimes to get some inspiration and motivation. It's refreshing to take a break away from conversations about bit rates and colour banding and things that aren't at all related to just telling a story.

+1

The guy is making $120k/mo off his channel and he's pulling in $$$ from Samsung, CNN and others along with getting tons of free shit to review or just get mentioned in his videos. He's creative and his stuff obviously resonates, kudos to anyone that can carve out a niche and make a living doing what you like. I'm still amazed that people making videos of themselves playing video games are even more popular, or applying makeup, or many of the things I don't do that seem mundane. While searching for guitar technique videos, I stumbled across videos of a beautiful woman with a big rack that just plays covers on a guitar wearing low cut tops and she gets millions of hits. I'm on her level guitar wise, no way I'd get more than a few hundred hits. Go figure.

Cheers

55 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

things...that seem mundane.

Well, they can actually be mundane as well.  Doesn't seem to matter.  

Personally, there's no way I would have ever had the foresight to be aggressively prolific in order to be essentially a modern day "motivational speaker" on social media, but it's working for him financially.  He deserves acknowledgement for that.  Ain't my bag, but whatever.  That motivational culture seems odd yet enduring throughout the generations.

I never willingly listened to dubstep either and a lot of young people made a lot of other young people famous and wealthy because of it.

It'll be curious if the financial reality of this sort of vlogging work actually makes him fulfilled emotionally a few years down the road.  That whole sort of career seems a bit 'ouroboros' to me...but, again, that's me.

16 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

GH5 is perfect for his computer with USBC. Better battery life. And it's a newer sensor with better processing. Battery life for me is the killer. 

I've got the new MBPr Touch Bar as well, but a card reader will result in faster offload times according to Orangenz. Have you tried it out yet? Not all USB-C connectors are 3.1, they can still have USB 2 speed. I read that somewhere anyhow. As far as image quality, I don't doubt the GH5 is superior, it's just that I've owned the G85 for months now and I'm still learning how to get the best quality out of it. ? I was just thinking that the G85 is smaller, so easier to carry around and fly on a single handed gimbal, and it's half the price, so I'm not paying for a lot of features I'll never use. But for sure 4K 60p and no extra crop are big advantages. I find even 12mm is not wide enough on the G85, on the GH5, it would be more than enough for my needs. I'm still going back and forth every day deciding whether to upgrade or not. ?

19 hours ago, eleison said:

Why the flip???????? 

Exactly what it reads: Sony does not provide flipscreens on their stuff. Casey needs a compact solution and the Canon 70D/80D provided a nice swively flippery screen that is very important for people that are mainly filming themselves for checking the framing. Hooking up external displays is no option if you are cruising through NYC on a boosted board. I think he just tries to find a more suiteable solution that the Sonys.

19 hours ago, TARS said:

Over the last year or so, vlogging has been changing. A lot of the top travel vloggers are lugging around full frame gear, and seem to be obsessed with getting a depth of field so shallow that their eye will be in focus (sometimes) and the tip of their nose won't. I saw Louis Cole one time went to camera shop to get a speedbooster and that sigma 20mm f1.4, to put on his A7Sii in 35mm mode or whatever it's called.

a7S mk2 in S35 mode would be a bit silly.... can't do 4K then, perhaps you meant the a7R mk2?

19 hours ago, TARS said:

Over the last year or so, vlogging has been changing. A lot of the top travel vloggers are lugging around full frame gear

Jon Olsson vlogs on a RED 8K camera, is nuts:

On 13/04/2017 at 7:02 PM, Mattias Burling said:

He has been using Canon DSLRs, Sonys, REDs, Smartphones and what not. Of course he would use it. He is probably is offered every camera on the planet. 

But to say that this is what he is now using and lable him a GH5 shooter... to early imo. He is more of a RED shooter than GH5, let alone Canon.

But time will tell. Personally Im starting to becomes sceptical about the GH5 after reading all the heated debates about every little thing. Might have to check it out, haven't really watched any footage yet (that I know of).

Trust me, it isn't a camera thing, it's a world wide phenomenon. Trump v Hillary, United v screeching man, gender v genderless, sjw v everything. It's not critical articles that are different, but the reaction to them. All or nothing in a world of grey, anything to lift people out of a feeling of mediocrity and give them a pretend sense of both self importance and relevance despite become even more irrelevant. Even Neistat programs to them with the idea to boycott. Sigh. I've got a very big list of very small things that I either don't understand (usb-c but no power) or think are fishy and will be fixed (live view not working in hdr with angle/iso set) and about 2 things on the good list. And the good list still wins. By a long way. Loooooong way. 

11 hours ago, jonpais said:

I've got the new MBPr Touch Bar as well, but a card reader will result in faster offload times according to Orangenz. Have you tried it out yet? Not all USB-C connectors are 3.1, they can still have USB 2 speed. I read that somewhere anyhow. As far as image quality, I don't doubt the GH5 is superior, it's just that I've owned the G85 for months now and I'm still learning how to get the best quality out of it. ? I was just thinking that the G85 is smaller, so easier to carry around and fly on a single handed gimbal, and it's half the price, so I'm not paying for a lot of features I'll never use. But for sure 4K 60p and no extra crop are big advantages. I find even 12mm is not wide enough on the G85, on the GH5, it would be more than enough for my needs. I'm still going back and forth every day deciding whether to upgrade or not. ?

Mmmmm tough call. The GH5 is quite heavy. After the footage gets to youtube GH4 and up all look similar if exposed well. I think the photos are significantly better over the GH4 and the crop sensor with 100-400 suits my birding. If the G85 had 100Mbps 1080 50p then that would be fine :/  As for video, one word, VLOG. No reason for GH5 without it, every reason for GH5 with it. 

Taking out the cards all the time is annoying. But using up the batteries on the slower usbc is also annoying. 

2 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Mmmmm tough call. The GH5 is quite heavy. After the footage gets to youtube GH4 and up all look similar if exposed well. I think the photos are significantly better over the GH4 and the crop sensor with 100-400 suits my birding. If the G85 had 100Mbps 1080 50p then that would be fine :/  As for video, one word, VLOG. No reason for GH5 without it, every reason for GH5 with it. 

Taking out the cards all the time is annoying. But using up the batteries on the slower usbc is also annoying. 

I was testing out my new Rodelink today with the G85 and discovered that a Gorillapod is way more practical for vlogging than the Crane, so I just have to work on my biceps and I'll be ready for the GH5.