Casey Neistat - Panasonic GH5 shooter

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can tell you he can make or break a camera. He has that many followers. So I am not too sure why he is using a GH5, He was using a Sony A7?? for 4k last month?? Maybe just tying it out to see how well it works AF wise.

I know he is not going back to 1080p anymore. So that eliminates a lot of Canon cameras right there. Ehh, Nikon ones also.

I have always been amazed how well his Drone footage looks, and he uses them a LOT in his videos. I think we underestimate how great they can look! I think most are shot in 4k though.

Marques Brownlee (a tech reviewer) did a Casey Neistat studio tour a while ago, he indeed uses an A7RII as his fix set-up studio cam. An 80D as overhead cam at his work station. RX100 V as pocket cam (like for... plane bathrooms). iPhone for just always having it with him. GoPros perhaps. However... the main vlogging camera has for the longest while been a Canon 70D (on a Joby Gorillapod, with either Shure or RØDE video mics). Then switched to the 80D... then had the urge to go 4K and yes, up to recently he had been using the A6500. But... he hates not being able to see himself and that's exactly the problem if you have a microphone mounted on the hotshoe and no vari-angle side frontfacing screen... which made him have to mark the lens with a white marker/tipp-ex to make sure the lens is zoomed out and lined up at that setting. Then you have the nauseating rolling shutter of the Sony... and well, that's not the greatest if you move around on a board and being hella active. Then there's the threat of having your recordings stopped at any moment due to overheat protection kicking in... that cannot happen to a content creator, sometimes there's no re-dos. Also... when recording in sunlight with the A6500 the screen dims... so if he would be behind the camera filming something, he'd have a hard time seeing what the hell is going on.

So yeah... what do you do in that situation? I'd search for the next best thing that you can make work. A reliable camera with front-facing screen that doesn't dim on you, good rolling shutter performance, sensor stabilization. No 4K: no Canon EOS-M. No frontfacing screen/sensor stabilization: no Samsung NX1, no Fujifilm X-T2. So you automagically end up at Panasonic/Olympus that do everything right. Reliable cameras: check. 4K: check. Excellent rolling shutter performance: check. Vari-angle screen: check. Sensor stabilization: check. 'C-AF... well, it already checked so many boxes, let's see if I can make it work'. That's probably the attitude. He just looked objectively, what is the best camera for my needs and I mean, the GH5 is just about the most ideal camera you can think of... and apparently he did make AF work for him (though, we have no way of telling getting those results was an easy task or if like maybe this is 20% of the footage shot that was actually usable and that he had to throw away a lot of good content or had to shoot 10 takes to get one good take...). So this could be a keeper. Until finally someone else with APS-C sensors steps up and makes an E-M1 Mark II/GH5 with APS-C sensor/performance and superb C-AF.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You know which cameras I'm referring to. If you don't like it, use a different forum. In fact I positively encourage it in your case!

Hilarious. 

Btw, really funny because I watched the above Casey video the other day on my 1080p projector and I was like wow this is fucking sharp. For sometime now he used the A7sII and made the official switch. But then I saw it was a DSLR in the reflections so I was like "is he back to 80D? Cannot be that sharp. Must be the 5D4, but it looks small". I did not think further. 

So here it is a GH5. Tack sharp. For sure a nice premium blogging camera. Just the the AF misses the mark. 

Which projector you've got? I have the https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h1-immersive-home-theatre-with-harma-kardon-stereo , it's pretty bloody great for immersing yourself with a 'big screen' viewing at the comfort of your home (did hook up a Sony sound system, the H&K is great for music, not so much for movies/series).

I would think he would come up with something lighter to carry though. A GH5 with a 12-35mm lens is not my definition of a lightweight outfit! He is probably using it because of the Stabilization I would imagine.

Yeah @That Guy, he is a wizz at editing and the things he does. There is a video floating around a fan of his did that showed all the crazy things he does that no one else I guess even thought about using. I know one was where he puts his hand over the lens to stop a shot to switch to another view, instead of a fade or cut you normally do in editing. He is a Damn smart guy.

Not counting the ability to be able to ride his Boosted Board and fly a Drone at the same time, and use his video rig on it also. Christ he is way more coordinated than I am, but that is not saying much LoL.

This video explains some of what he does.  https://filmpost.co/2016/08/editing-storytelling-techniques-casey-neistat/

Looks like a massive offensive from Canon on the video side: DPR sponsored content, potential firmware upgrade and now they send you a unit.The 5mk4 sales figures must be bad !

Anyway, too little too late for Canon. The lack of innovation was the last drop for me, I already bought a GH5. It would take more than a moderate crop factor and reasonable codec to convince me to spend $3500 in this body. Plus, does the mk4 have the hardware to handle proper 4k ? Let's see at NAB...

Just now, OliKMIA said:

Looks like massive offensive from Canon on the video side: DPR sponsored content, potential firmware upgrade and now they send you a unit.The 5mk4  sale figures must be bad !

Anyway, too little too late for Canon. The lack of innovation was the last drop for me, I already bought a GH5. It would take more than moderate crop factor and reasonable codec to convince me to spend $3500 in this body. Plus, does the mk4 have the hardware to handle proper 4k ? Let's see at NAB...

Yeah just think how bad Canon's consumer cameras would be without Magic Lantern doing their thing to them. Christ!

Casey Neistat is a cool guy.  But I would be skeptical of what he says regarding camera equipment.  I'm sure he's getting paid to  "show case" some of his equipment.  He did a video of why he used the 70D/80d.  He said it was because of the autofocus, lowlight, flip out screen, reliability,  etc.  Other cameras in the marketplace would not fit his needs.  Especially since the other cameras did not have a flip out screen.  Not as reliable..  Yes, the canon didn't have the best image, but it was all about "capturing the moment".  A few months later, he was saying he's gong to be trying out/using the A7sii.  Dude, the sony's don't have the flip out screen -- something that he said was essential.  It's not even reliable (over heating possibility, etc.).  For someone who says RELIABILITY is important to him, since as a vlogger he doesn't get a 2nd shot at filming something - not my words, why the sony???

Why the flip????????  I think it's because of the $$$$$$$$.  I don't remember him ever denying getting money (or other compensation) to "show case" or review something (unlike max yuryev, dave dugdale, etc), .  Hell, youtube gives peanuts to content creators.  I understand why people would accept money (or other compensation).  People gotta get paid.  Gotta make a living.  However, the public should not take his word for gospel.

Now he's trying the GH5?  Watch Casey walk the tightrope.  He will try to endorse it without bad mouthing it too much.  Ultimately, he might say something like "its a great camera, BUT for what I do, I found something else that was slightly better".  He's a shill that tries hard to retain his objectivity while trying to make a living.  Walking a tightroom.  Wait until the next best thing regarding camera equipment, and he will be pimping that out too.  Casey's actions are worth more than his words.  He might be using the GH5 for a few weeks, but I'm sure he will move on to what he REALLY feels comfortable with (unless another company gives him another camera/equpiment to pimp out for a while).  FYI, I'm not faulting him for this.. It is what it is..

38 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would think he would come up with something lighter to carry though. A GH5 with a 12-35mm lens is not my definition of a lightweight outfit! He is probably using it because of the Stabilization I would imagine.

Over the last year or so, vlogging has been changing. A lot of the top travel vloggers are lugging around full frame gear, and seem to be obsessed with getting a depth of field so shallow that their eye will be in focus (sometimes) and the tip of their nose won't. I saw Louis Cole one time went to camera shop to get a speedbooster and that sigma 20mm f1.4, to put on his A7Sii in 35mm mode or whatever it's called.

Ben Brown is vlogging with a 5D mark iv even.

It's getting a bit silly.

Yes, but it's just another way to distinguish oneself from peasants that are using their smartphone or Canon G7X II. 'Look at that shallow depth of field, wow that's expensive and impressive gear, (s)he must be damn good being able to afford that'. I'd say camera movement, using sliders/stabilization/gimbals is another hint of appearing (not neceesarily being) 'next level'.

Btw, I don't think Casey is selling out and allows manufacturers to force him to put out positive reviews (well, maybe Samsung a lil). I really do think that over time you just develop different wants and needs and having the oppertunity/means (btw he has cash enough to finance his gear, we've seen him breaking & purchasing gear a few times),  to check out the new next thing, who of us wouldn't embrace that? Like I said before, trying out the A6500 for run'n'gun field schtuff he's run into issues looking for the next best thing. He uses the A7RII all rigged up in a Tilta cage with a SmallHD monitor facing him, a set-up for a studio, not so much on the street.

24 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah just think how bad Canon's consumer cameras would be without Magic Lantern doing their thing to them. Christ!

Honestly, Magic Lantern may have actually had a part in hindering Canon's tech development. Which in turn may have affected Nikon's development as well... if the theory is true that Nikon and Canon only use each other as metrics.

Not that it really matters at this point, but it makes you wonder... if ML didn't hack the 5D to include Raw video, what the sales of their cameras would be. Obviously as I, and others, said in the D7500 thread, video is an incremental figure in their overall sales, but it still is a figure used to project sales.

If their sales dropped even 5-10% from the 5D2 to the 5D3, the bean counters may have researched why the loss in sales and allocated more funds to video R&D.

I know one of Casey's friends uses a Red to Vlog with on his skate board. Crazy. But I guess if you have money out the butt why not!!

And I don't really think Casey gets paid to use the cameras he does. He has knocked Canon cameras about as much as Anyone I have ever heard. I think it is because of the DPAF he used them mostly, that and the swinging LCD. I mean for that Booster Board he rides you need good AF out the Ass. What other camera is good at that other than the A6500 he switched too, and I think he only did that mostly for the 4k, that and the A7r mkII, and now the GH5 for the same reasons..

I think taking money from manufacturers would look like a total sell out to the crowd he attracts??

He gets paid in views and links. Since a lot of his subscribers ask him about cameras, why not talk about them... more views. If the hot new camera is up for sale... why not use it once and link to it in your video. He may have moved to 4K because YouTube is pushing for more 4K content, or his subscribers are asking..: why not 4K.

But as I said earlier, he has a link in this video, supposedly shot with the GH5, to every camera, drone, and support he has ever used...

I don't blame him one bit, if I had his type of talent and my family ate from the YouTube and Amazon dinner menu, I'd do the same exact thing.

Like it or not...Neistat is a major player in the content creator world. Whether that means filmmaking or vlogging...I think the two are actually more connected than they'd like to admit because they are still creating content. I'm a fan of his work and his rapid-cut editing style. I know he recently said he was using an a6500. I'll be honest though....I liked his colors better when he was using canon. This only has to do with colors not image quality or otherwise. There is no doubt Sony is killing the frame rate game. We shall see what he has to say about the GH5!!

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Like it or not...Neistat is a major player in the content creator world. Whether that means filmmaking or vlogging...I think the two are actually more connected than they'd like to admit because they are still creating content. I'm a fan of his work and his rapid-cut editing style. I know he recently said he was using an a6500. I'll be honest though....I liked his colors better when he was using canon. This only has to do with colors not image quality or otherwise. There is no doubt Sony is killing the frame rate game. We shall see what he has to say about the GH5!!

I agree, the colors are noticeably better with his older videos. I even noticed a little Jersey Shore spray tan skin tone with the GH5 video. But also I think his life looks more interesting through a Canon lens and Canon camera. It's grittier, more suited to his style. When he throws around these other cameras, like he did his 70D, he may just switch back.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Yea... who'd want a forum member that occasionally disagrees with it's owner... In this instance, with a slight tongue in cheek remark.

I think i'll take your advice... Never been a big fan of dictators.

Hey Jimmy, would be cool if you stay!!! Just get off of Andrews cloud and rather get on mine, I dig your opinions :)  And, please Andrew, don´t get angry, you

know we admire your work and style and we want you to enjoy your own forum you are providing for all of us.

Casey Neistats GH5 footage looks great. I must say, some of the best DSLM colors I´ve seen, honest ones without grading I mean! Awesome colors!

Anybody got the hope to get to know Caseys color profile setting? :)

I don't get this casey vlog. Everytime I see his videos it's 5min of this guy moving from one point to another, either by plane, board, or running, and unboxing things on a plane. But it seems pointless as there never actually happens anything. 

Is it a Metapher of the american way of life or does this guy actually do something?

5 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

I don't get this casey vlog. Everytime I see his videos it's 5min of this guy moving from one point to another, either by plane, board, or running, and unboxing things on a plane. But it seems pointless as there never actually happens anything. 

Is it a Metapher of the american way of life or does this guy actually do something?

I think there's supposed to be entertainment in the mundanity of his life. 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think there's supposed to be entertainment in the mundanity of his life. 

It's a Vlog for people who also live mundane lives, they see Casey who has a slightly better mundane life than their own and aspire to be like him I think.

"Wow, that would be so cool to be Casey, imagine if boxes showed up at your house and you unwrapped them!",
"Casey was poor like us once, I can relate to that!",
"Look he has family he has to deal with just like me!"... etc. 

It is a reality TV program for the internet.

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

The general public also says the same thing about enthusiasts who buy $1000's worth of camera equipment.. "Why is X guy buying so much equipment.. All I see are his cat videos... I don't understand.."

Casey is more in tune with what the general population wants to watch.  It isn't camera reviews.  In a lot of his videos where he is going to review equipment, he specially tells people to skip his video if they are not into camera gear.  Most of his 6 millions of subscribers are not there for equipment reviews, but for the entertainment factor.  Something that most of us gear heads don't understand :-P