nikon d7500 released

gethin

if anyone could care less: http://nikonrumors.com/2017/04/12/nikon-d7500-camera-announced.aspx/

Specs: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d7500.html?icid=img_en_us:hp:banner:1:dslr:d7500:41217:wwa#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

4k looks like a 1.3 crop of dx (just a guess on the basis of photo sizes shot in movie mode).

30min recording limit. No mention of bitrate. Electronic stabilisation.

Only thing of interest is active d-lighting in movie mode.

Still no zebras, peaking etc.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bitrate is 144mb/s. 

D-light and stabilization is only available in HD. 

Limitations of electronic stabilization is understandable, but I don't know why they couldn't make D-light ready for 4k. Implemented correctly, it has potential to become a must have feature in video shooting. Maybe lifting shadows of every 4k frame is tough job for its still-optimized CPU. 

9 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

Bitrate is 144mb/s. 

D-light and stabilization is only available in HD. 

Limitations of electronic stabilization is understandable, but I don't know why they couldn't make D-light ready for 4k. Implemented correctly, it has potential to become a must have feature in video shooting. Maybe lifting shadows of every 4k frame is tough job for its still-optimized CPU. 

Urgh! I hope they can make active d-light in 4k available for the d820/d850 or whatever it will be called and full frame 4K.  Its my last hope to remain a nikon shooter. 

Crop is aparently 1.5x

Another lost opportunity for Nikon. That seems like a downgrade from the 7200 which was the best crop camera in DxO listings.

Smaller pixel count (it is 2017, we expect a bit better than 20), 1 less card slot, same AF (I would expect something better here, again, it is 2017, we are in the middle of the AF war!), worst battery life. 4K, barely and heavy cropped (x2.25?). 8 fps (NX1 in 2014 had 15).

If the next mirrorless from Nikon is a similar disappointment, I do not see Nikon coming back from these. Sad..

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

This new camera seems to cannibalise the d500?? What are the advantages of the d500 now?

I dont know all the specs of any of them but for example 153 vs 51 AF points, dual vs single card slot, weather sealed vs kinda weather sealed.

Im sure there is more.

The targeted audience of such a APS-C camera (pro sports photography, ambitionned enthusiasts, wedding photographers, passionned wildlife photographers in any weather conditions) care mostly about:

• dual card slots (reliability) - only 1 card slot in the D7500
  • buffer size: 19s/200 RAW with the D500 vs 5s/50 RAW with the D7500
  • 99 cross sensors for maximum of focusing capabilities with the D500
  • weather sealing and a maximum of rugged built quality (D500)
  • 10,3 photos/s (D500) vs 8/s (D7500)

In my opinion, the targeted audience will NEVER EVER buy the D7500 instead of the D500 only for saving 400,- EUR (in Germany). Hobby photographers / other APSC-consumers will stay with the D7200 or buy another (much cheaper) camera. So, the D7500 will never cannibalize the D500...

@gethin

No peaking is a shame for people who want to film with nikon cameras and want to keep their gear portable (without addtional monitor).

BTW: I know about 12 Nikon pro users (photo journalists / pro phographers making a living out of their profession) in Germany, NONE of them is using their Nikon camera for filming - mainly because of Nikon's disastrous video AF and no peaking when MF. That's why Canon has the journalism and documentary industry in his pockets, though some of their cameras are much more expensive (but not necessarly better) than Nikons...

@Andrew Reid

Full ACK. BUT Canon can afford it - because Canon is by far market leader, is very profitable (even with their camera division) and Canon still owns the strongest "photography brand"...I don't know, if Nikon can afford the same illness - Nikon-itis.

I don't believe that in the next five years all current manufacturers will survive...Not because of going bankrupt, but because of leaving the digital camera market because of continuous losts. Look, Samsung could afford the camera business, Samsung is an unbelievable big and profitable company. But they know about smartphones killing the digital camera mass market and they don't want to permanently loose money just for beeing "innovative". For a company even extremely innovative is not enough - you have to generate profit (either selling lower costs products in a mass market or very expensive products in a niche market), not innovative features and highest end devices for a micro-niche enthusiasts market looking for kind of cheap 16k 4.4.4 cameras... 

Why can't we have a mirrorless APS-C Nikon with full readout 4K and all the bells 'n whistles (vari-angle touchscreen, mic/headphone ports, dual cardslot, sensor stabilization, nice EVF, little to no rolling shutter, good heat dissipation, good solid codec/bitrates, high framerate recording, no-crop, crop teleconverter, focus and exposure overlays/aids, etc) already? I'm fine like the NX1, to just have a basic launch selection of lenses, like perhaps a 16-50mm f/2-2.8, 50-150mm f/2.8, 30mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8 & 85mm f/1.4 at launch native to the mirrorless system. Then you can always add an adapter for existing Nikon DX/FX/AI-s etc lenses which there are a nice bunch of and work on expanding the native mirrorless lens collection over time. Now that, would be something I'd buy. This indeed is too oldschool, too traditional... we need forward thinking. Even Fujifilm, a very stills minded brand, is making a swing at it and is imho perhaps the best APS-C mirrorless option to date. Together perhaps with the NX1 still. But they aren't perfect either. Like... a body and hardware implementation like the E-M1 Mark II and GH5 is just so damn sick, they've thought of just about everything and it do have sensor stabilization, almost negligible rolling shutter and no overheating. Plus, a ton of compact lenses. But you know... if they had that... with an APS-C sensor... I'd know where my money's at. But they ain't doing it!

• Super Members

Its interesting that people keep on insisting that an APS-C with full sensor readout in 4K is something big companies like Canikon should build and that they would fly of the shelves.

Uhm.. remember Samsung?

It didn't sell at all. Companies like Canikon dont do stuff at random and without thought.

This notion across forums that we the random user possess some magic power that makes us more informed than the people spending billions in research and development is naive at best.

The video market is tiny. People go on about specs that would make it easier for some part time wedding shooter. Come on. I live in small town with maybe 100 000 people. Ill be surprised if even 10 shoots weddings.

Maybe 100 are into video at all. And by that I mean use a camera, import, edit, export and publish a video on for example social media.

But Im pretty sure every single one will at some point in their lifes take and publish a still.

People use their phones and if they really get into it they buy a camera with stills in mind. Video geeks like me are a tiny and dying breed.

Nikon is on its way down, marketing a new camera for video and have it ending up in the same section as the GH5. In other words having sales people say, "No, for stills you don't want that camera" would be suicide.

Well, let me ask you this: remember the NX10, NX20 and NX30?

Nah, of course you don't really. I bet those even sold less. Samsung is not the 1st thing that pops into mind when you think serious DSLR/mirrorless cameras (well, maybe now), let alone stores having the brand in stock and on display. Nah, people buy Canon/Nikon, because that's on the menu... that's the house recommendation, that's what they order. Doesn't get more simple than that. Everyone and their neigbour's dog shoots a Canon, so obviously it's being established as the 'go-to popular brand'. Doesn't mean that they should stop innovating and stop rivaling other cameras. Samsung's problem was not the hardware or features (that however is starting to get Nikon/Canon's problem now). It's was their image and marketing. But atleast they went out on a bang I guess (if anything, the NX1 put them on the map because of the hardware/features... atleast, just before falling off). Stop while you're ahead.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Another non-starter for video, although as a stills camera I quite like it

Nikon seem to have caught Canon-itis. A well known condition where you lose your memory and release the same camera every year with a different badge.

I would define Canon-itis as the now obsolete product cycle of updating a flagship (FF and APS-C) body once every 4-5 years and spending the rest of the cycle slowly trickling down its features to lower-priced models. In short - claiming innovation while pushing the same feature down in price for 4-5 years.

I feel like they should do what Sony does and just push down the price of older models still on the market, but upgrade this approach with firmware updates.

@Cinegain

You think and write like a geek / enthusiast...But you belong to a micro niche market. The reality is like some weeks ago an old German public broadcast camera man told me: "You and your DSLR bullshit...If you want to shoot a film, buy a dedicated film camera or camcorder. Yes, even some of our people (mostly freelancers) shoot with DSLRs, but nobody takes them serious. DSLRs are toys...They are made to shoot photos...Sure, for some circumstances they do well, but generally buy a dedicated device for your  needs. Or do you ever try to make a coffee with a washing machine? After months of work and technical tweaking, it could probably work...But while loosing time with an unappropriate device, you could buy a dedicated coffee machine and immediately get good results..." - that's how a vast majority of people think.

And yes, @Mattias Burling is absolutely right: A vast majority of people take stills and never care about video shooting. This is the reality in DSLR/DSLM market: Money and profit are in stills and not in video. The reality is: ALL journalists I know (even specialized video journalists) shoot maximum 1080p videos and only in exceptional situations you meet one having an computer or knowledge in editing 4K. No need, no money, no competence...

The fact, that a loud minority of enthusiasts ask for 16K 4.4.4 for less than 2.000 USD, doesn't mean, that there is a market demand for these requirements. CanoNikon knows this: There is nor REAL (profitable) demand for these requirements...There are only loud claims of a minority - from economical point of view, completely irrelevant.

I know the actual video market is rather small on the big scheme of things. Yet... everyone pulls if off nontheless... Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Fujifilm... they're all adapting to fit everyone's needs. I didn't think we'd see an Olympus with 4K or vari-angle screen, but we did. I didn't think Fujifilm would embrace video, but they have. These brands aren't clinging on to traditionalism and are far from being stagnant like Canon and Nikon. Ultimately, evolutionary, adapt or get extinct! Now this might be a solid short term business plan and all this innovation is pretty 'fresh', but are they really planning to keep up their act? I mean, they gotta do what they gotta do, I have the option of not buying their shit, easy as that. But I'd rather they just came through, for everyone's sake.

What a joke again from Nikon. 
We were used to have 0 upgrade on their new camera (Snap bridge?)
But this was  nothing. Time has come for upgrade being a downgrade:
-1 slot instead of 2.
- shorter battery life 
-D500 sensor meaning less mpx and a lot less Dynamic Range. 
Don't look at Dxo, they are just numbers. Look at Dpreview DR studio tool where you can actually see a real image and push the shadows. What a huge difference between d7200 and d500. 
D500 is a great body for many reasons but not for DR. It was not aimed at landscape anyway.
I won't even speak about the shitty video mode with big crop and poor specs, far behind Sony or Panasonic.

This is scaring me a lot for the D820. Having this as an upgrade? How can people accept it and even think to buy this D7500 is beyond me.

Nikon and Canon are 2 ridiculous companies taking their customers for granted, releasing the same shit year after year for the past years. I wish them to continue the same way and die in silence when others (Fuji, Panasonic, Sony) who dare to innovate may rise. 

• Super Members
50 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Well, let me ask you this: remember the NX10, NX20 and NX30?

Nah, of course you don't really. I bet those even sold less. Samsung is not the 1st thing that pops into mind when you think serious DSLR/mirrorless cameras (well, maybe now), let alone stores having the brand in stock and on display. Nah, people buy Canon/Nikon, because that's on the menu... that's the house recommendation, that's what they order. Doesn't get more simple than that. Everyone and their neigbour's dog shoots a Canon, so obviously it's being established as the 'go-to popular brand'. Doesn't mean that they should stop innovating and stop rivaling other cameras. Samsung's problem was not the hardware or features (that however is starting to get Nikon/Canon's problem now). It's was their image and marketing. But atleast they went out on a bang I guess (if anything, the NX1 put them on the map because of the hardware/features... atleast, just before falling off). Stop while you're ahead.

Exactly my point. Putting 4K full sensor readout in the d7500 would have been retarded.