New computer -_- help

Liam

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah My Panasonic AF100A is a total pain in the butt to take video with it, because there is No Auto anything, and every scene you have to White Balance, Black Balance, adjust F stops or use the ND filters, etc., etc., etc. It is crazy how hard it is, but when you get it all right, man it can look pretty unbelievable, just the way You want it, not what Panasonic wants.

Now my Panasonic G7, you turn it on and shoot. You can have it on Auto everything.  I guess if Apple made a camera this might be the one for the masses. It is almost prefect all the time. Run n Gun, Bamm, it works. But it looks videoish as heck. But if that is what you want it, it is easy as hell to do.

Apple already makes the world's most-used camera, the iPhone. I think it produces a great image for what it is, great color and the HDR mode rocks for stills.

You still need a crew to use an Alexa properly (less so an Amira, which even does grading in-camera if you want) but it's definitely built for luddites and to fit into existing workflows, more like the G7 than the AF100 I suppose (having never used either). So I think these brand preferences boil down more to what approach you take than what offers what for the money. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I think the trick is with computers is to NEVER turn them off. I turn my Monitors off or down, but I never turn the machine off.

Now laptops well no choice on that part. And probably the main reason, they never get to stabilize, they die, and they don't really last too long.

5 hours ago, Policar said:

Apple already makes the world's most-used camera, the iPhone. I think it produces a great image for what it is, great color and the HDR mode rocks for stills.

You still need a crew to use an Alexa properly (less so an Amira, which even does grading in-camera if you want) but it's definitely built for luddites and to fit into existing workflows, more like the G7 than the AF100 I suppose (having never used either). So I think these brand preferences boil down more to what approach you take than what offers what for the money. 

Well if you are making a big time movie you Want a Alexa, if you are just trying to make a living you want a G7. You don't have the money to run a video camera that takes a crew to run it, you need a camera that pretty much runs itself!

And truth be known the average person does not know or care what camera shot it as long as the story, plot, commercial is good. We really spend too much time worrying about the camera than we ought to worry about the shoot and the edits. 

We forget that not only cameras have gotten better so have LuTs and editing software has also. Now i guess if you get all three aspects going you have a real winner on your hands!

I have to add here, that i think we need to rethink this Filmic, Cinelike look in cameras in this day and age. Sure they look, well like film, but none of us on here are going to shoot film anymore, even s16 which had grain out the ass.

It is now 2017. I think most of the viewing audience has grown up with HD TV and Smartphone LCD screens. They feel at home looking at a "Video" look. It is really all they know. People my age that grew up with film, well our race is over with or near to it. Sure it looks great, but the Average person is not going to be able to afford to shoot film.  And hell I don't think it is that accepted in this day and age anymore to be honest. This is a YouTube generation more than a Vimeo generation.

I think this new GH5 is the future like it or not. And what Sony maybe will bring out here at NAB to compete with the GH5. A few firmware updates and that camera will be able to get the job done. Is it a great form factor, well no. But can it do 90 percent of what a Camcorder can do, yes, and it can do things a Camcorder can't do because of its small size. I think it is a Win Win. It is the future right under our noses.