Jump to content
Sebastien Farges

GH5 does 3:2 6K anamorphic :)

Recommended Posts

This is my first test of using the 6K 29,97p 3:2 ratio on the new GH5.
I'm happy with the results, please tell me what you think.
But I want to share my teething troubles working with the GH5.
1- The first question was which focal lens setting did I have to choose for the stabiliser. My prime lens is a 35mm, but did I have to include the 1,75x factor of the anamorphic, that is influencing only on the width ?
My first impression is that the internal stabiliser is not really the friend of anamorphic lens, some distortions or rolling shutter. There is some small moments in the movie that you can notice, but most of the strongest were unedited.
Because of the prime lens which is 35mm, and maybe the wildest I can use with my baby Hypergonar anamorphic lens, I had to zoom in the image sometimes, when it's in movement for example, to avoid moving vignetting in the frame. I did up to 17%.  
2- the H265 codec that is used for the 6K mode
I had problems editing the 6K mode video. I have Premiere CC2017, but even when it downloads the H265 / HEVC codec, I couldn't really import the original files. Some of them were working, but most of them had strange result on the timeline with green colors. And not to mention the lag with playing the video, on Premiere or VLC.
I test it on two different iMac, mine that is a end 2012 with 24 Go of RAM, and at the university that is a 5k iMac with 8 Go. 
So I transcoded the video with Handbrake, which surprisingly accept the 5184*3486 with H264 5.2 level. Then I decided to export directly in anamorphic without the black bars, in 5184*1976, then doing a same dimension sequence in Premiere.
Badfully I couldn't export the same dimension when I finished my edit on Premiere, so I did it in the maximum that my version of Premiere accept at my home : 4K (4096 maximum on the width).
When I will find the solution, I will export it in its original dimension 5184*1976.
Having troubles with a new camera and a "new codec" and new dimension "6k" is not new for me and I accept it :) I remember when a long time ago when I bought the GH1 I had to switch from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premiere to be able to edit the H264 clips directly on the timeline. 
Thanks for watching the movie and do not hesitate giving me your opinion and your experience with editing 6K material from this new beast named GH5 !
GH5 6K 5184*3486 3:2 29,97p export to 4k 29,97p anamorphic 4096*1560
prime lens : Qioptiq 35mm f1.6 wide open most of the time
anamorphic lens : baby Hypergonar 1.75x
focus module : SLR Magic Rangefinder Imperial
ND filters : Hoya 32x, 4x and 2x
slight black and white levels / no color correction
cropping due to vigneting of the anamorphic due to the stabiliser from 0 to 17%
Thanks to Virgil for his GH5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It looks amazing! Most of the time, you are right to say the stabilization is a little too much, maybe manually 35 \ 1.75 = 20mm would be better and avoid the little jumps and the vignette creeping in at random, I actually like a little vignetting in a shot but not being constant makes it distracting. How far away from the person in the shot do you have to be to a medium shot (waist to head) with your set up? 5 feet, 1.5m or so?

Your work is as hypnotic and engaging as always, keep it coming and thanks for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sebastien Farges said:

This is my first test of using the 6K 29,97p 3:2 ratio on the new GH5.
I'm happy with the results, please tell me what you think.
But I want to share my teething troubles working with the GH5.
1- The first question was which focal lens setting did I have to choose for the stabiliser. My prime lens is a 35mm, but did I have to include the 1,75x factor of the anamorphic, that is influencing only on the width ?
My first impression is that the internal stabiliser is not really the friend of anamorphic lens, some distortions or rolling shutter. There is some small moments in the movie that you can notice, but most of the strongest were unedited.
Because of the prime lens which is 35mm, and maybe the wildest I can use with my baby Hypergonar anamorphic lens, I had to zoom in the image sometimes, when it's in movement for example, to avoid moving vignetting in the frame. I did up to 17%.  
2- the H265 codec that is used for the 6K mode
I had problems editing the 6K mode video. I have Premiere CC2017, but even when it downloads the H265 / HEVC codec, I couldn't really import the original files. Some of them were working, but most of them had strange result on the timeline with green colors. And not to mention the lag with playing the video, on Premiere or VLC.
I test it on two different iMac, mine that is a end 2012 with 24 Go of RAM, and at the university that is a 5k iMac with 8 Go. 
So I transcoded the video with Handbrake, which surprisingly accept the 5184*3486 with H264 5.2 level. Then I decided to export directly in anamorphic without the black bars, in 5184*1976, then doing a same dimension sequence in Premiere.
Badfully I couldn't export the same dimension when I finished my edit on Premiere, so I did it in the maximum that my version of Premiere accept at my home : 4K (4096 maximum on the width).
When I will find the solution, I will export it in its original dimension 5184*1976.
Having troubles with a new camera and a "new codec" and new dimension "6k" is not new for me and I accept it :) I remember when a long time ago when I bought the GH1 I had to switch from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premiere to be able to edit the H264 clips directly on the timeline. 
Thanks for watching the movie and do not hesitate giving me your opinion and your experience with editing 6K material from this new beast named GH5 !
GH5 6K 5184*3486 3:2 29,97p export to 4k 29,97p anamorphic 4096*1560
prime lens : Qioptiq 35mm f1.6 wide open most of the time
anamorphic lens : baby Hypergonar 1.75x
focus module : SLR Magic Rangefinder Imperial
ND filters : Hoya 32x, 4x and 2x
slight black and white levels / no color correction
cropping due to vigneting of the anamorphic due to the stabiliser from 0 to 17%
Thanks to Virgil for his GH5

Hi Sebastian!

Thanks for the video. Downloaded it in 4k from Vimeo to see results more accurately. Looks good.

But that IBIS is definetly giving some bad effects for the censor. That is a thing I am a bit worried. Did you try to shoot also without IBIS and what focal length did you tell for the IBIS to use?

I haven't updated my GH4 to GH5 yet, but soon will. Anamorphic mode and how the GH5 handles it is my top priority thing.

Few questions:

1. I am quite sure it isn't possible... but is there any chance to shoot 4:3 aspect in slowmotion = anamoprhic slowmotion possiblity?

2. You didn't try to shoot in "anamorphic mode"? I understood that you shot in 6k photomode only? That would be in h.264 format and 10-bit, right?

3. There isn't desqueeze in camera, right?

 

GH4 still gives nice images and with external recorder + 10bit AND RIGHT GLASS it can still give really nice results. But still I am too sold over the GH5 can't resist :)

One of my Anamoprhic 4:3 videos with GH4+external recorder:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallo Seb, a nice video of yours as always:) Did you use Cine V like you did on some of your GH4 videos? I think you always made that Gh4 sing.

In your Gh5 video the 30p and anamorphic is a funny combination:) I agree, the IBIS is funky looking. Seems like G85 before firmware update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

 IBIS is funky looking. Seems like G85 before firmware update.

IBIS is doing weird backgroung movements everytime.

Please Panasonic make a IBIS mode without "Roll axis" for anamorphic, and probably the same for Yaw/Pitch axis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, elgabogomez said:

It looks amazing! Most of the time, you are right to say the stabilization is a little too much, maybe manually 35 \ 1.75 = 20mm would be better and avoid the little jumps and the vignette creeping in at random, I actually like a little vignetting in a shot but not being constant makes it distracting. How far away from the person in the shot do you have to be to a medium shot (waist to head) with your set up? 5 feet, 1.5m or so?

Your work is as hypnotic and engaging as always, keep it coming and thanks for it.

Thanks elgabogomez :) I do appreciate. The problem is that the vignetting is moving with the stabilization... For a medium shot maybe between 3 and 4 meters.

12 hours ago, Teemu said:

Hi Sebastian!

Thanks for the video. Downloaded it in 4k from Vimeo to see results more accurately. Looks good.

But that IBIS is definetly giving some bad effects for the censor. That is a thing I am a bit worried. Did you try to shoot also without IBIS and what focal length did you tell for the IBIS to use?

I haven't updated my GH4 to GH5 yet, but soon will. Anamorphic mode and how the GH5 handles it is my top priority thing.

Few questions:

1. I am quite sure it isn't possible... but is there any chance to shoot 4:3 aspect in slowmotion = anamoprhic slowmotion possiblity?

2. You didn't try to shoot in "anamorphic mode"? I understood that you shot in 6k photomode only? That would be in h.264 format and 10-bit, right?

3. There isn't desqueeze in camera, right?

 

 

 

Thanks Teemu, I've watched your video, nice work.

I told 35mm to the GH5.

I don't have the GH5 with me but I don't think there is slo-mo yet on 4:3 aspect

anamorphic mode is in h264, 10 bit I don't think so. I have to check. I shot only in 6K, which is 8 bit

bad fully not yet desqueeze in the camera

 

 

12 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hallo Seb, a nice video of yours as always:) Did you use Cine V like you did on some of your GH4 videos? I think you always made that Gh4 sing.

In your Gh5 video the 30p and anamorphic is a funny combination:) I agree, the IBIS is funky looking. Seems like G85 before firmware update.

Thanks PannySVHS :) No I was in natural mode -5 everywhere except saturation at +4. I hope firmware will give better results for the IBIS, such as choosing the horizontal or vertical stab 

 

12 hours ago, Grimor said:

IBIS is doing weird backgroung movements everytime.

Please Panasonic make a IBIS mode without "Roll axis" for anamorphic, and probably the same for Yaw/Pitch axis.

yes it should be better with this choice

12 hours ago, Julien416 said:

When rotating, the sensor just changes the alignment of the anamorphic lens. Result : it just wobbles. Well, IBIS and anamorphic just don't mix. End of story.

We'll see if one day we would have the choice of type of IBIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Hello Seb, really Nice video!

I was wondering, to avoid the wobbly background, perhaps you can stabilize the roll axis by using a monopod to only hold your camera more horizontal. Only for 40cm length for example. I look forward to see a test with a 50mm taking lens.

Thnaks Keessie65. I have to think about it. And will do some test with a more tele lens to avoid the slight crop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallo Seb,

you could also try to set the IBIS to much smaller numbers. With a focal reducer f.i. for a 24mm I would have to choose 24mm x 0.71 eq. around 16mm.

So with you anamorphic setup of 35mm and 1.75 one could try 35mm x 0.58 eq about 20mm.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hallo Seb,

you could also try to set the IBIS to much smaller numbers. With a focal reducer f.i. for a 24mm I would have to choose 24mm x 0.71 eq. around 16mm.

So with you anamorphic setup of 35mm and 1.75 one could try 35mm x 0.58 eq about 20mm.

cheers

Thanks, I will try so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 0:53 PM, Sebastien Farges said:

This is my first test of using the 6K 29,97p 3:2 ratio on the new GH5.
I'm happy with the results, please tell me what you think.
But I want to share my teething troubles working with the GH5.
1- The first question was which focal lens setting did I have to choose for the stabiliser. My prime lens is a 35mm, but did I have to include the 1,75x factor of the anamorphic, that is influencing only on the width ?
My first impression is that the internal stabiliser is not really the friend of anamorphic lens, some distortions or rolling shutter. There is some small moments in the movie that you can notice, but most of the strongest were unedited.
Because of the prime lens which is 35mm, and maybe the wildest I can use with my baby Hypergonar anamorphic lens, I had to zoom in the image sometimes, when it's in movement for example, to avoid moving vignetting in the frame. I did up to 17%.  
2- the H265 codec that is used for the 6K mode
I had problems editing the 6K mode video. I have Premiere CC2017, but even when it downloads the H265 / HEVC codec, I couldn't really import the original files. Some of them were working, but most of them had strange result on the timeline with green colors. And not to mention the lag with playing the video, on Premiere or VLC.
I test it on two different iMac, mine that is a end 2012 with 24 Go of RAM, and at the university that is a 5k iMac with 8 Go. 
So I transcoded the video with Handbrake, which surprisingly accept the 5184*3486 with H264 5.2 level. Then I decided to export directly in anamorphic without the black bars, in 5184*1976, then doing a same dimension sequence in Premiere.
Badfully I couldn't export the same dimension when I finished my edit on Premiere, so I did it in the maximum that my version of Premiere accept at my home : 4K (4096 maximum on the width).
When I will find the solution, I will export it in its original dimension 5184*1976.
Having troubles with a new camera and a "new codec" and new dimension "6k" is not new for me and I accept it :) I remember when a long time ago when I bought the GH1 I had to switch from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premiere to be able to edit the H264 clips directly on the timeline. 
Thanks for watching the movie and do not hesitate giving me your opinion and your experience with editing 6K material from this new beast named GH5 !
GH5 6K 5184*3486 3:2 29,97p export to 4k 29,97p anamorphic 4096*1560
prime lens : Qioptiq 35mm f1.6 wide open most of the time
anamorphic lens : baby Hypergonar 1.75x
focus module : SLR Magic Rangefinder Imperial
ND filters : Hoya 32x, 4x and 2x
slight black and white levels / no color correction
cropping due to vigneting of the anamorphic due to the stabiliser from 0 to 17%
Thanks to Virgil for his GH5

Looks awesome! I've got a question for you. I'm going to be shooting the standard 4K anamorphic mode (4:3) on the GH5. I'm thinking about renting the SLR Magic Anamorphic Prime T2.4 35mm. Will 35mm cover the sensor on the GH5? Your video seemed to cover it just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 2:22 PM, Teemu said:

Hi Sebastian!

Thanks for the video. Downloaded it in 4k from Vimeo to see results more accurately. Looks good.

But that IBIS is definetly giving some bad effects for the censor. That is a thing I am a bit worried. Did you try to shoot also without IBIS and what focal length did you tell for the IBIS to use?

I haven't updated my GH4 to GH5 yet, but soon will. Anamorphic mode and how the GH5 handles it is my top priority thing.

Few questions:

1. I am quite sure it isn't possible... but is there any chance to shoot 4:3 aspect in slowmotion = anamoprhic slowmotion possiblity?

2. You didn't try to shoot in "anamorphic mode"? I understood that you shot in 6k photomode only? That would be in h.264 format and 10-bit, right?

3. There isn't desqueeze in camera, right?

 

GH4 still gives nice images and with external recorder + 10bit AND RIGHT GLASS it can still give really nice results. But still I am too sold over the GH5 can't resist :)

One of my Anamoprhic 4:3 videos with GH4+external recorder:

 

You can shoot 60p with the 4K anamorphic mode on the GH5, with VLog, but it's currently 8 bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, Sebastien Farges said:

This is my first test of using the 6K 29,97p 3:2 ratio on the new GH5.
I'm happy with the results, please tell me what you think.
But I want to share my teething troubles working with the GH5.
1- The first question was which focal lens setting did I have to choose for the stabiliser. My prime lens is a 35mm, but did I have to include the 1,75x factor of the anamorphic, that is influencing only on the width ?
My first impression is that the internal stabiliser is not really the friend of anamorphic lens, some distortions or rolling shutter. There is some small moments in the movie that you can notice, but most of the strongest were unedited.
Because of the prime lens which is 35mm, and maybe the wildest I can use with my baby Hypergonar anamorphic lens, I had to zoom in the image sometimes, when it's in movement for example, to avoid moving vignetting in the frame. I did up to 17%.  
2- the H265 codec that is used for the 6K mode
I had problems editing the 6K mode video. I have Premiere CC2017, but even when it downloads the H265 / HEVC codec, I couldn't really import the original files. Some of them were working, but most of them had strange result on the timeline with green colors. And not to mention the lag with playing the video, on Premiere or VLC.
I test it on two different iMac, mine that is a end 2012 with 24 Go of RAM, and at the university that is a 5k iMac with 8 Go. 
So I transcoded the video with Handbrake, which surprisingly accept the 5184*3486 with H264 5.2 level. Then I decided to export directly in anamorphic without the black bars, in 5184*1976, then doing a same dimension sequence in Premiere.
Badfully I couldn't export the same dimension when I finished my edit on Premiere, so I did it in the maximum that my version of Premiere accept at my home : 4K (4096 maximum on the width).
When I will find the solution, I will export it in its original dimension 5184*1976.
Having troubles with a new camera and a "new codec" and new dimension "6k" is not new for me and I accept it :) I remember when a long time ago when I bought the GH1 I had to switch from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premiere to be able to edit the H264 clips directly on the timeline. 
Thanks for watching the movie and do not hesitate giving me your opinion and your experience with editing 6K material from this new beast named GH5 !
GH5 6K 5184*3486 3:2 29,97p export to 4k 29,97p anamorphic 4096*1560
prime lens : Qioptiq 35mm f1.6 wide open most of the time
anamorphic lens : baby Hypergonar 1.75x
focus module : SLR Magic Rangefinder Imperial
ND filters : Hoya 32x, 4x and 2x
slight black and white levels / no color correction
cropping due to vigneting of the anamorphic due to the stabiliser from 0 to 17%
Thanks to Virgil for his GH5

I think it looks pretty awesome until you Pan the camera, and then I am ready to grab a Barf Bag! Yikes. I even liked the music a lot.

Buy a hell of a tripod, take off the Pan handle, and throw it away. Problem solved. At least for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

You can shoot 60p with the 4K anamorphic mode on the GH5, with VLog, but it's currently 8 bit.

Okay, thanks Aaron. That is big news for me. Just hope it will be 10bit, maybe after the summer updates... It's not even possible to get it 60p 10bit when recording externally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Teemu said:

Okay, thanks Aaron. That is big news for me. Just hope it will be 10bit, maybe after the summer updates... It's not even possible to get it 60p 10bit when recording externally?

Externally, it is possible to record 10-bit 4:2:2 4K60p, yes indeed. From now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2017 at 10:14 PM, AaronChicago said:

Looks awesome! I've got a question for you. I'm going to be shooting the standard 4K anamorphic mode (4:3) on the GH5. I'm thinking about renting the SLR Magic Anamorphic Prime T2.4 35mm. Will 35mm cover the sensor on the GH5? Your video seemed to cover it just fine.

Mmm not so sure be careful, I had to crop a little sometimes because of the moving vignetting. It also depends of the construction of the lens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you do you desqueeze the 1.75 crop factor from your anamorphic lens. What settings did you use in premier interpret footage drop down to expand the horizontal dimension?.  My personal experience has been frustrating in that this software I have tried even in after effects does not allow for a custom expansion ratio only 1.33, and 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...