Website and Business Cards

HockeyFan12

I have neither and should get both. I originally planned to start a production company, now I want to look for work (full time, ideally) in post at ad agencies. The freelance grind has worn me down. :(

I'm cutting a reel now, or at least culling material but I have a good idea of what I'm doing with the reel and someone more accomplished has generously offered to give me advice on what my level of client wants to see. I want to keep everything else minimal.

Home page is reel and contact info. Only three pages. "CV" "Blog" and then just a promotional blog with news and stuff and ideas, stuff clients might want to see that's more specific than the reel and old reels, but also fluff pieces and essays.

I want this website to look SIMPLE. Gray on gray. Or blue on gray or something.

I am a tech idiot and don't know how to write HTML since I was in middle school. I hear Wordpress is good? How does this work? I just want the simplest theme but I want it to feel customized.

For business cards, I've never had them (except at summer job once). I don't use Linked In or FaceBook for work, or have much presence online. Should I get business cards or focus on online? 

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wordpress and the default theme will work, however Wordpress IMO is a bit of a mess (I'm a long time developer (C/C++/OBJC desktop, embedded, and iOS (+ Android NDK (C++)). I've successfully avoided web development because all the tools are a mess: HTML, CSS, Javascript (HTML5), PHP etc.). Additionally C/C++/OBJC is more profitable. I built our websites with Wordpress and a bunch of plugins, but would much prefer something else. Unfortunately, for quick development without having to write web code, it's currently the least bad of all the options (jQuery, bootstrap, angular.js and sass are OK, but they're for writing code, not WYSIWYG).

You could try something like http://www.wix.com which would work for a basic site with no coding, especially if you start with a template close to what you want.

Honestly business cards are a waste of time, money, and paper. As a vendor it's best to collect emails, and when you meet people you want to connect with, get their email and/or phone number, then follow up. I've gotten work from LinkedIn (tech), so it's worthwhile. In LA especially, film work really requires face-to-face networking in addition to an online presence to show your work.

If you do decide to go the Wordpress route, there's a good beginner's course on Lynda.com that will walk you through the entire process. Lynda has agreements with a lot of public libraries where you can sign in with your library card number and don't have to pay the monthly membership fee. Check to see if that's the case for your local library.

1 hour ago, jcs said:

Wordpress and the default theme will work, however Wordpress IMO is a bit of a mess (I'm a long time developer (C/C++/OBJC desktop, embedded, and iOS (+ Android NDK (C++)). I've successfully avoided web development because all the tools are a mess: HTML, CSS, Javascript (HTML5), PHP etc.). Additionally C/C++/OBJC is more profitable. I built our websites with Wordpress and a bunch of plugins, but would much prefer something else. Unfortunately, for quick development without having to write web code, it's currently the least bad of all the options (jQuery, bootstrap, angular.js and sass are OK, but they're for writing code, not WYSIWYG).

You could try something like http://www.wix.com which would work for a basic site with no coding, especially if you start with a template close to what you want.

Honestly business cards are a waste of time, money, and paper. As a vendor it's best to collect emails, and when you meet people you want to connect with, get their email and/or phone number, then follow up. I've gotten work from LinkedIn (tech), so it's worthwhile. In LA especially, film work really requires face-to-face networking in addition to an online presence to show your work.

Wouldn't that be a good reason to give someone a card with you're info on it so they don't have to write or type down all of that?

I'll be in NAB in a couple weeks. I'll meet a boatload of people. Everyone of them will hand me their business card and expect mine in return. 

This. It's quicker, easier and much more professional if - when you meet someone with whom you wish to develop a business relationship - you can hand them a neat, simple card with all of your contact details.

4 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I'll be in NAB in a couple weeks. I'll meet a boatload of people. Everyone of them will hand me their business card and expect mine in return. 

I used to do that too, and still bring business cards and give and receive as needed. However, I've found that follow-ups happen more often when email/phone is traded right into phones vs cards. What we need is an instant contact app (for iOS and Android), where you can instantly trade contact info (found one based on QR codes, figured they're be more: https://thenextweb.com/apps/2011/01/23/5-mobile-apps-that-could-kill-business-cards/#.tnw_7W40fa1m . Why'd google acquire and close down Bump, then provide no replacement?). @Cassius McGowan if both parties in a hurry, sure cards are fine, however cards get lost, and both parties know the other is serious when typing directly into their phones. Another thing we do is write a little note in the phone contact which is also helpful later on.

Again, when attending a show as a vendor, capturing emails via iPad etc. is immensely helpful and a time saver not having to go through all the cards later and type everything in. Having a raffle or drawing can also be helpful for engagement.

I went to a trade show today and collected cards from vendors and used them to help write up a blog post. This is different than doing deals in the tech world, however- either it happens fast with email/phone right away or not at all has been my experience.

rounded corners... spot uv... dope

die cut? foil? so many options lol

as an artist you should have an awesome business card~! make that card the best one in someones pocket at the end of NAB. great chance to be creative, and yes more expensive cards that are well designed are totally worth the money

heres some #inspo http://www.viralnova.com/cool-business-cards/

tumblr can do all the stuff you want, consider that too. tons of highly customizable free themes

16 hours ago, jcs said:

@kaylee wouldn't the card for a filmmaker be a reel SD card?

yeah thats a good idea~!

frankly jcs, i agree with you that not having business cards forces more meaningful interaction, ive definitely come to the same conclusion

in fact when asked if i have a card ive been known to say, "Oh Im fresh out right now, do you want my number?" which turns into me saying, "Whats your number? ill text you so you can save it" ?

im trynna come up in this game fam

I had designed my business cards myself like two and a half years ago (QR codes on them as well), just before an event where you indeed were expected to trade cards like a Pokémon trainer... then went to the local copy shop to figure out how to print 'em on good quality paper. It was great to have their expertise and I could actually convey what I was going for, try that with the language barrier with Chinese reps. Not to mention you wouldn't quite know the quality and results. And I've been turning to AliExpress and Chinese webshops for years (btw, snagged a YI 4K+ during the last AE sale, curious about that one!), but sometimes you're looking to save a few pennies in the wrong areas. My 2cts. ;)