We shot a short film on the GH3 and here is the result :)

Stab

Hi all,

We shot a short film on the new Panasonic GH3 and here is the result of the 2.5 shooting days. Would be great if you would watch it and give your opinion.

I'm in the film business now for about 3 years but have worked mostly on corporate stuff. This is actually my 1st 'real' short drama film, as well as the 1st real production with the GH3.

Maybe it is interesting for you guys to see what the camera can do. Feedback is also strongly appreciated :)

The link:

https://vimeo.com/59543338

(you can download the 'uncompressed' 1080p version when clicking 'download')

Cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great film which I have watched several times now.

With the free vimeo account the 'uncompressed' 1080p version' only remains available for download for a week after uploading the video. And them the file is removed :(

Oh I actually didn't know this. I just checked and indeed, the original file is gone... Bad. Would have loved to show you guys how much detail and resolution there is in the shots.

Anyway, thanks for your comment. I'm happy you liked it :)

You didn't develop the emotional tension for that reuniting scene to be powerful. When she opens the door we have only a few seconds to process so much information, - that they have been estranged, that she is his daughter, and that they are now reuniting.

You should've built up to this moment more gradually, for example when the old man is at home, we could've seen photographs of his daughter, returned letters, perhaps an message on the answering machine from several years ago from her that says "Stay away from me" etc that he plays incessantly. We would've realized his feelings of shame and guilt, and that doorbell scene would've been alot more tense because we'd know ahead of time what is at stake.

Good direction, needs good writing.

Great, real cinema !!! Can you describe all parameters mov or avchd, frame rate, apert, iso etc And maybe you have behind the scenes material ;)

Thanks man!

It is shot in mov. Most shots are done in 24p, but for some shots I used the 'framerate' mode (which slows it down automaticly by shooting at a higher framerate). For instance the dreamy shot in the car and the end shots are done at 80% speed (which is 30p).

Almost all shots have apertures between f2.5 and f4.

If you send me a PM with your facebook link you can add me on facebook. I have a lot of set pictures there if you are interested :)

You didn't develop the emotional tension for that reuniting scene to be powerful. When she opens the door we have only a few seconds to process so much information, - that they have been estranged, that she is his daughter, and that they are now reuniting.

You should've built up to this moment more gradually, for example when the old man is at home, we could've seen photographs of his daughter, returned letters, perhaps an message on the answering machine from several years ago from her that says "Stay away from me" etc that he plays incessantly. We would've realized his feelings of shame and guilt, and that doorbell scene would've been alot more tense because we'd know ahead of time what is at stake.

Good direction, needs good writing.

Thanks for your time and your comments.

I understand your critism and might even think you are right in the sense that there should have been a bit more tension at the reuniting scene. However I do not agree with 'building it' up so gradually, because this movie is simply not about the reunion specifically. I want the viewers to think 'what is the old man going to do now?' during the movie. 'Why is he shaving his beard?' 'Did he just stopped drinking?'

Then when the daughter opens the door and says the magic word 'pop', it comes as a surprise. It explains why the man might have started drinking in the 1st place and who he was visiting at the graveyard.

I don't want the 'question' of this movie to be 'is the man going to make it right with his daughter?' But 'What is the man going to do now after he survived that crash?'

And whatever he chooses to do, it had to be done earlier...

I'm not trying to deny your comments here, you have a valid point. In the end it is just about preference and taste I guess. Yours is more dramatical, mine more conceptual. And a story needs both to make it work :)