Magic Lantern progress continues as 14bit 60FPS resolution increases

Andrew Reid

4 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

So basically they made a beast back then, but converted it to a minion for some financial concerns. 

There were no 1000X CF cards back then.... And people were not too keen on having grey/no preview in live mode.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Not all sensors can handle all numbers of FPS. 
There has been plenty of cameras out there that didn't get the sales they could have due to 30p only.
And it isn't just a firmware thing, then they would have done it. Its a limitation of the sensor.

A good example of testing this for myself was the Panasonic CM1. Best camera phone to date imo.
It shots 30p only. But was API2 capable.
So easy fix then... just download Cinema 4K or Open Camera and force it to 24 or 25p?
No, not that easy.

When forcing the camera to do 25, 24, 23,9, 26, 10, what ever.
Anything but 30p resulted in..... 60p!

So I discovered slowmotion, yey for me!
But I also learned first hand that the reason that Canon for example has 30p only in what could be a legendary camera, the GX1ii, isn't because they aren't aware that 25p is the world standard.
Theres probably more to it than that.

But we all know this already. Name one camera that hasn't been ripped to shreds on forums by people convinced they know more from a glance at a spec cheat than the engineers, strategists, economists, etc, etc that spend billions making the stuff.

43 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Canon could have done a 1920x1080p@60fps h264 mode, any card can handle that.

Canon "could" have done any number of things... Just like Nikon could, or Sony could, or Lumix could.... They didn't, life moved on. Except on here!

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Nikkor said:

Yeah sure Jimmy, but they should have.

If they wanted to tank the company maybe. But I guess they rather keep on being the number one selling brand and making huge loads of cash.
Sure they loose customers like me that own zero Canons. But they gain 100 others.

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If they wanted to tank the company maybe. But I guess they rather keep on being the number one selling brand and making huge loads of cash.
Sure they loose customers like me that own zero Canons. But they gain 100 others.

They gain Customers because the 5D has no 1080 60fps mode?

If you go on DPR right now, there are probably less than 5% of the Canon shooters on there, that even want ANYTHING video realated to even BE on the camera, let alone use it!

And I am sure as hell bet they pay more attention to DPR users than us on here. Or it sure as hell seems that way to me with what they put out products wise. They want US to buy a Canon C100 mkII, not a Canon 5D mkIV it seems. And hell I guess it is working. All bases covered. Smart of them.

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

That is a crazy good difference going to the 5D. Lot more sharpness, but still retaining the Canon look. That is a hell of a good combination.

I feel they oversharpened the 5d iii footage. The sharpness looks digital. But thats just personal.

But the 5d iii is a beast!